COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

We do not have adequate contact tracing in this country. Without that and a shitload of testing its impossible to make statements like "it doesn't really spread through schools" or "teachers only get sick from bars".

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
On 3/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, midtown said:
Why do your kids need to be vaccinated to go back to school?  School transmission is almost non-existent.  

You keep saying that without any supporting data whatsoever...

You're accusing others of not having any supporting data-- yet you're doing the exact same thing.  

13 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

We do not have adequate contact tracing in this country. Without that and a shitload of testing its impossible to make statements like "it doesn't really spread through schools" or "teachers only get sick from bars".

My faculty colleagues frequented Happy Hour at the Poodle Dog Lounge quite often.

• Hook 'Em 1

My almost 6-year old is about to rejoin in person instruction just in time for this fucking idiotic statewide lemming contest.  

The deal is though, to minimize exposure...she can't go to bars anymore.  Unless it's to pick me up.  

For those of you that are in your 40s and 50s that already got the shot, what did you tell them to get an appointment?  I'm in East Texas and see that there are appointments available at CVS in Livingston, but say they are only available for 1A and 1B.  Seems like it's every man for himself at this point and I'm ready to get the shot if I can get an appointment. 

I'm 41 with a BMI of 27, so I guess I'll have to make us some BS to get an appointment?

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

For those of you that are in your 40s and 50s that already got the shot, what did you tell them to get an appointment?  I'm in East Texas and see that there are appointments available at CVS in Livingston, but say they are only available for 1A and 1B.  Seems like it's every man for himself at this point and I'm ready to get the shot if I can get an appointment. 

I'm 41 with a BMI of 27, so I guess I'll have to make us some BS to get an appointment?

They will ask you when you register but there is zero follow-up on it when you show up. That's what it was like for my dad's appointment, anyway. After today's idiocy, I don't think there's any shame in getting stuck. The more we can get vaccinated, the better. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

She thanks you very much. She had missed that “book” button (old & half blind like me).

She’s booked for her 2nd shot Friday at 11:50.

🤘

FHS website - "If you need help please click SurlyHorns.com Covid 19 Vaccine Chat button and an advisor will be with you shortly".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing in a few educated pockets in Texas, there'll be a run on vaccines now with people going out of order.  I'm also guessing that the 30-35% of Texans who said they don't plan to take the vaccine will actually increase now because many will now see the lift on restrictions are a sign that there's no need anymore to get it.  Tack on the two-week delay due to the storm, Spring Break, and general stupidity---we just moved Herd Immunity in Texas from August to November.  

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

They will ask you when you register but there is zero follow-up on it when you show up. That's what it was like for my dad's appointment, anyway. After today's idiocy, I don't think there's any shame in getting stuck. The more we can get vaccinated, the better. 

This is what I'm inclined to think too.  I was trying to be a dude about it and wait my turn in line, but I feel like mitigation efforts are about to fall off a cliff.  It might be time to disregard females/acquire jabs.

Moderna

ETA: Maybe both, but everyone we got booked there received the Moderna shot

NSIAP, but CVS in Texas are getting Pfizer and Moderna. It varies by location but there are some of both at stores in the same region. IOW, there’s no easy way of knowing statewide or even region-wide.

* J&J shots hitting CVS soon.

12 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

This is what I'm inclined to think too.  I was trying to be a dude about it and wait my turn in line, but I feel like mitigation efforts are about to fall off a cliff.  It might be time to disregard females/acquire jabs.

When political leaders do not have your well-being at heart, I think it's fair game at that point. The cards have been dealt, it's time to play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

I got mine at the CVS by my house last Friday and they didn't ask me anything.  I do get my prescriptions filled there and the Moderna shot shows up in my prescription history so maybe they were able to see I take medicine for asthma and type 2 diabetes.

Edited by Monty Capuletti
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Here are three links to vaccination clinics in South Texas tomorrow through Friday for 1A/1B if anyone needs them. Falfurrias, Freer, and Beeville. Have a family member that works here, and @midtown used my last link with good success it sounds like. 

https://cacost.org/

I can vouch for these great folks.  I got my wife her shot through them after our local hub proved to be impossible to get an appointment.  

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Here are three links to vaccination clinics in South Texas tomorrow through Friday for 1A/1B if anyone needs them. Falfurrias, Freer, and Beeville. Have a family member that works here, and @midtown used my last link with good success it sounds like. 

https://cacost.org/

Not me..I knocked 3 olds out of the way at a nursing home and jumped in line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:
4 hours ago, dcar00 said:
CDC study says about 3-4% of student cases coming from in school spread and near zero to staff/between staff

Without robust contract tracing, that study is rather useless. Throw in kids largely being asymptomatic and how the hell can glean anything meaningful.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2021/01/06/peds.2020-048090.full.pdf

BACKGROUND: In an effort to mitigate the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), North Carolina (NC) closed its K–12 public schools to in-person instruction on 03/14/2020. On 07/15/2020, NC’s governor announced schools could open via remote learning or a “hybrid” model that combined in-person and remote instruction. In August 2020, 56 of 115 NC school districts joined the ABC Science Collaborative (ABCs) to implement public health measures to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission and share lessons learned. We describe secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2 within participating NC school districts during the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in the 2020–2021 academic school year. METHODS: From 08/15/2020–10/23/2020, 11 of 56 school districts participating in ABCs were open for in-person instruction for all 9 weeks of the first quarter and agreed to track incidence and secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Local health department staff adjudicated secondary transmission. Superintendents met weekly with ABCs faculty to share lessons learned and develop prevention methods. RESULTS: Over 9 weeks, 11 participating school districts had more than 90,000 students and staff attend school in-person; of these, there were 773 community-acquired SARS-CoV-2 infections documented by molecular testing. Through contact tracing, NC health department staff determined an additional 32 infections were acquired within schools. No instances of child-toadult transmission of SARS-CoV-2 were reported within schools. CONCLUSIONS: In the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in NC schools, we found extremely limited within-school secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2, as determined by contact tracing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Re schools: 

How much of the low rate of spread related to the measures being employed at the schools- masks and distancing?

and how much of that is maintainable if they went “fully open?”  Or does fully open imply the absence of measures?

don’t have time so search now and I’ll forget soon. 

Our school district sent out a message basically saying nothing changes, but we are consulting with bureaucrats so maybe that changes.

If they change their safety protocols, we will have to reassess what we do with our kids. 

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/early/2021/01/06/peds.2020-048090.full.pdf
BACKGROUND: In an effort to mitigate the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), North Carolina (NC) closed its K–12 public schools to in-person instruction on 03/14/2020. On 07/15/2020, NC’s governor announced schools could open via remote learning or a “hybrid” model that combined in-person and remote instruction. In August 2020, 56 of 115 NC school districts joined the ABC Science Collaborative (ABCs) to implement public health measures to prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission and share lessons learned. We describe secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2 within participating NC school districts during the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in the 2020–2021 academic school year. METHODS: From 08/15/2020–10/23/2020, 11 of 56 school districts participating in ABCs were open for in-person instruction for all 9 weeks of the first quarter and agreed to track incidence and secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2. Local health department staff adjudicated secondary transmission. Superintendents met weekly with ABCs faculty to share lessons learned and develop prevention methods. RESULTS: Over 9 weeks, 11 participating school districts had more than 90,000 students and staff attend school in-person; of these, there were 773 community-acquired SARS-CoV-2 infections documented by molecular testing. Through contact tracing, NC health department staff determined an additional 32 infections were acquired within schools. No instances of child-toadult transmission of SARS-CoV-2 were reported within schools. CONCLUSIONS: In the first 9 weeks of in-person instruction in NC schools, we found extremely limited within-school secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2, as determined by contact tracing.

"Due to confidentiality concerns, we were not able to analyze incidence of child-to-child or adult-to-
child transmission, nor could we determine the relative effectiveness of any specific school policies. Finally, these data are applicable to reduced population density, both through the hybrid model and from students within the districts"

Great study. You're continuing your great amateur statguy run that you've been on.

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Due to confidentiality concerns, we were not able to analyze incidence of adult-to-
child transmission, nor could we determine the relative effectiveness of any specific school policies. 

I think I either read this exact quote in either a Catholic Primary School handbook or a Chicago Archdiocese subpoena for an STD class action lawsuit.  

Either way, the language seems very familiar.  

24 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Due to confidentiality concerns, we were not able to analyze incidence of child-to-child or adult-to-
child transmission, nor could we determine the relative effectiveness of any specific school policies. Finally, these data are applicable to reduced population density, both through the hybrid model and from students within the districts"

Great study. You're continuing your great amateur statguy run that you've been on. emoji106.png

Imagine thinking that this was a compelling insight. You do you realize of course that the "confidentiality concerns" are directly related to the small cell size for those events?  Of course you do Brad. But tell us all more about amateur analysis. 

Edited by Anastasis
privacy vs confidentiality, meh, whats the difference.

Imagine thinking that this was a compelling insight. You do you realize of course that the "privacy concerns" are directly related to the small cell size for those events?  Of course you do Brad. But tell us all more about amateur analysis. 

The study couldn't contact trace 95% of its subjects from an already tiny sample size. That makes it completely useless.

Did you just not read the whole thing? Did you read and it's just too complex for you? Or did you know the study is fatally flawed and posted it anyway?

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The study couldn't contact trace 95% of its subjects from an already tiny sample size. That makes it completely useless.

Did you just not read the whole thing? Did you read and it's just too complex for you? Or did you know the study is fatally flawed and posted it anyway?

I think it's hilarious that you misread the adjudication results as a summary of the completeness of contract tracing.  But go ahead, please quote the data that you are think you understand.  

I think it's hilarious that you misread the adjudication results as a summary of the completeness of contract tracing.  But go ahead, please quote the data that you are think you understand.  

This twisting and flailing that you're doing with concepts you don't understand is what happens when you get ahead of your skis in a subject area that you don't know as well as you think you do.

Stick to what you're good at. The only people who think your holiday inn express statsguy act is worth anything are the biggest rubes here. You are the company you keep.

Just because you can use Excel doesn't make you a statistician.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This twisting and flailing that you're doing with concepts you don't understand is what happens when you get ahead of your skis in a subject area that you don't know as well as you think you do.

Stick to what you're good at. The only people who think your holiday inn express statsguy act is worth anything are the biggest rubes here. You are the company you keep.

LOL. Lot's of projection to unpack here. Go ahead and quote the data points you used to back into your claim regarding completeness of contact tracing. I am not the one over my skis here Brad, and I think you realize it. 

LOL. Lot's of projection to unpack here. Go ahead and quote the data points you used to back into your claim regarding completeness of contact tracing. I am not the one over my skis here Brad, and I think you realize it. 

You're right. Intentionally misrepresenting scientific studies to advance an agenda is certainly right in a pharma shill's wheelhouse. I misspoke.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I think I either read this exact quote in either a Catholic Primary School handbook or a Chicago Archdiocese subpoena for an STD class action lawsuit.  

Either way, the language seems very familiar.  

Maybe you read it somewhere in the diddling teachers thread?

On 2/27/2021 at 8:05 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Do most of you fall in 1b?  I’m 54 and don’t have any of the typical comorbidity conditions, but a couple that aren’t listed.  I’ve been tempted to try and make an appointment but don’t have any documentation from a doctor that I’m eligible.

you make an appointment yet?  go ahead and do it man.

1.  the 1B conditions listed by DSHS are not an exclusive list.  you qualify under 1B if you have any condition that increases your risk of COVID-19 illness.  that lists "includes but is not limited to" the ones in bullet points, but it includes others.  i signed up on the Dallas County wait list and was asked to schedule an appointment last week.  i put on my registration that i have hypertension and high cholesterol (take meds for both).  Dallas County deemed that sufficient.  now, i am in a high risk, high priority zip code, so Dallas County is reaching out to us ahead of others.  but not everybody in the zip code got the invite.  only people with 1B health conditions did.  what i have qualified, and it's not on the bullet point list.

2.  nobody i know who has received the shot has ever been asked to verify they qualify under 1A or 1B.  if you think you do, that should be good enough to satisfy your conscience.

3.  as of yesterday, based on Abbott's announcement, you should get vaccinated as soon as you can.  all bets are off in Texas.

goodbye and good luck

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

you make an appointment yet?  go ahead and do it man.

1.  the 1B conditions listed by DSHS are not an exclusive list.  you qualify under 1B if you have any condition that increases your risk of COVID-19 illness.  that lists "includes but is not limited to" the ones in bullet points, but it includes others.  i signed up on the Dallas County wait list and was asked to schedule an appointment last week.  i put on my registration that i have hypertension and high cholesterol (take meds for both).  Dallas County deemed that sufficient.  now, i am in a high risk, high priority zip code, so Dallas County is reaching out to us ahead of others.  but not everybody in the zip code got the invite.  only people with 1B health conditions did.  what i have qualified, and it's not on the bullet point list.

2.  nobody i know who has received the shot has ever been asked to verify they qualify under 1A or 1B.  if you think you do, that should be good enough to satisfy your conscience.

3.  as of yesterday, based on Abbott's announcement, you should get vaccinated as soon as you can.  all bets are off in Texas.

goodbye and good luck

Agree. For my conscience, I messaged my doctor and they agreed I’m 1B.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

They just walked in and waited. I think the last appointments were at 6:30p so if you go around 6:00p and get in line, you might get one. 

Good to know. I wonder if that’s common across all CVS’s that administer the vaccine?My dad has cancer so is 1B but has been struggling to find the right time to find available appointments here.

Nice little slack channel for live vaccine updates. https://texasvaccineupdates.slack.com/join/shared_invite/zt-n17mcy6d-yLAOrewrRP7aTBMmwfVSEQ#/

Also, HEB has some openings at the moment. https://vaccine.heb.com/scheduler

FYI - with HEB links, sometimes it'll say spots are available, then you click in and it says there are none left. Go back, click again. Sometimes after a few attempts it'll let you through

Edited by SquishMitten

Yeah so after yesterday’s news and reading threads here I went ahead and signed myself up for CVS next week. A person I know well was not planning on getting vaccinated but after yesterday they went ahead and signed up too. So maybe some good will come from Abbott’s idiocy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Also, HEB has some openings at the moment. https://vaccine.heb.com/scheduler

FYI - with HEB links, sometimes it'll say spots are available, then you click in and it says there are none left. Go back, click again. Sometimes after a few attempts it'll let you through

Also, HEB refreshes their list every minute or so.  There are a lot more places available today than the last few days.  Keep refreshing and click the button quickly and you should be able to get a vax scheduled.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Yeah so after yesterday’s news and reading threads here I went ahead and signed myself up for CVS next week. A person I know well was not planning on getting vaccinated but after yesterday they went ahead and signed up too. So maybe some good will come from Abbott’s idiocy.

similar...know 3 non 1a or 1b folks that yesterday said 'fuck it' and have managed to get signed up today (various locs). i mean, i feel bad for a 1a/1b person that is still having trouble...but blame Abbott, not average Texans that were basically told 'may the odds be ever in your favor'. 

if our leaders (and a sizable chunk of our fellow citizens) are telling us every man for himself, well...good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Time to open the vaccine floodgates.

Distribute enough of the J&J vaccine for every teacher in the state, allocated to them specifically, and have each community have two "teacher days" at certain sites over the next two weeks to make sure we get them vaccinated and get back to school. The teachers that don't take it won't matter because J&J leftovers don't go to waste like Pfizer and Moderna.

Open everything else up to everyone. The shroud of 1B was gone like two weeks ago. The olds and fats and beetuses who don't have it by now are either putting out no effort or aren't willing to drive a couple hours.

Might as well just open it up, democratize it fully, and get as many shots in arms as fast as possible.

PS - one thing I'd be fine with Abbott doing is setting a deadline for hospitals holding onto their doses before releasing back to the public. There are a good amount of doses just sitting in hospitals. They're for hesitant staff who have yet to take it. Maybe allow each facility a small holdback for new hires. Otherwise fuck 'em. Piss or get off the pot.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, about that inventory...  Here's a look at inventory over time.  This is for ALL shots, not just first shots.  This is the amount of doses that have been received by sites but not injected.  It is always going to be more than zero because it takes some time for a dose to go from the delivery dock to a shot in an arm.

We were headed for lower inventory before the snowstorm.  Now we have more because more shots per week arrived and we didn't give many shots during the snow.  Still, it's about a week's worth of inventory at our current injection rate.  Supply is going up but so is the rate of injection.

TxVaxInventory.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1