COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

My county health officer posted the following:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.27.433180v1?fbclid=IwAR29LFoenLjZWkl8MpJJfwiNrwYylHshGj1ynf-leD7vHAa-uQiPepEJHC0

I didn’t read it yet but his synopsis is that 1) it’s not yet peer reviewed, and 2) it shows that the vaccines provide cell mediated immunity that is effective against the known variants, even though antibody production is not. 

docs care to comment?

10 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Yeah, about that inventory...  Here's a look at inventory over time.  This is for ALL shots, not just first shots.  This is the amount of doses that have been received by sites but not injected.  It is always going to be more than zero because it takes some time for a dose to go from the delivery dock to a shot in an arm.

We were headed for lower inventory before the snowstorm.  Now we have more because more shots per week arrived and we didn't give many shots during the snow.  Still, it's about a week's worth of inventory at our current injection rate.  Supply is going up but so is the rate of injection.

TxVaxInventory.jpg

In charts like this, is a "dose" both shots?  ie, does Texas have enough vaccine to give 1.4MM folks both shots?  Or only enough to give 700k both shots?

27 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So I registered with Wilco a month or so ago and they sent me a "number".

I am a 1B. 

66 years old.

Type II diabetic with high blood pressure and have had Pneumonia.

My 44 year old son got his shot from Wilco yesterday and I am still waiting.

Makes no fucking sense. 

Wilco or FHS?

We registered with FHS in mid January, were finally booked by refreshing their portal a month later to get spots earlier this month, then got our first shots on the 2nd & 8th. 
Mrs. Brat got an email Monday to schedule her 2nd shot tomorrow (Friday), and I expect to get an email this weekend for my second injection next week. We were pricked at the Kelly Reeves football stadium parking lot on Parmer. That was a very efficient operation. Her day was not crowded, mine was very busy, but both of us in & out in less than 30 minutes.

Sometime last month, the FHS “waiting list” was supposedly taken over by the Wilco Health department, so that may have caused some transition problems.

You might consider registering with them again, or calling their help number to go to one of the three assistance facilities they have set up in Georgetown, Taylor, and Cedar Park for face to face help.

Edited by Armybrat

24 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am a 1B. 

66 years old.

Makes no fucking sense. 

Their waiting list is a black hole. Check your PMs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am a 1B. 

66 years old.

Makes no fucking sense. 

Stop sitting around and waiting. If you take some time today and schedule through HEB, Walmart, or CVS, you'll have your first shot by this weekend. You might have to drive a little. 

Also, HEB now has the J&J for those that would prefer just one dose. 

Edited by StruggleBus
Seriously, go on the HEB scheduling link right now. There are shit loads of shots available.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Stop sitting around and waiting. If you take some time today and schedule through HEB, Walmart, or CVS, you'll have your first shot by this weekend. You might have to drive a little. 

Also, HEB now has the J&J for those that would prefer just one dose. 

Yeah, they just dropped a bunch of J&J slots.  Some new locations that I haven't seen before. Seems HEB is helping schedule some other places?

Other locations hooking into HEB's scheduling infrastructure is a really smart move. Kudos to whoever put that in motion.

Anecdotally in the last week the number of friends and family members who have gotten or are getting the shot this week is about 5x the entire previous time combined. The levee is breaking.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Parliament said:

In charts like this, is a "dose" both shots?  ie, does Texas have enough vaccine to give 1.4MM folks both shots?  Or only enough to give 700k both shots?

Right now it's all doses, 2 per customer.  So right now it's enough to give 700k both shots.  The J&J is just now arriving so next week that won't be true,

• Like 1

I have tried to get the HEB site to work literally hundreds of times. Click on the location, almost always land in a page that says no more shots at this location. Go back, keep trying. Every once in a long while it lets you choose a date and time. Whatever time slot I choose it says “that slot is no longer available”. Every fucking time.

I am a 1B. 
66 years old.
Makes no fucking sense. 

Wilco trying to get rid of some of these olds I see.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

I have tried to get the HEB site to work literally hundreds of times. Click on the location, almost always land in a page that says no more shots at this location. Go back, keep trying. Every once in a long while it lets you choose a date and time. Whatever time slot I choose it says “that slot is no longer available”. Every fucking time.

It's not nearly as bad now as when they first started it. I spent an entire day doing that to get my older relatives scheduled. Just constantly refresh the scheduling page. 

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Same here. Same for CVS.  Is there some kind of trick or cheat code?

26 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

In Dallas, my wife's friend went and got her shot yesterday at Fair Park without an appointment. She apparently has a friend volunteering with FEMA who told her just to drive up. Could be an option if you are unable to find anything at CVS. 

$50 handshake imo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

In Dallas, my wife's friend went and got her shot yesterday at Fair Park without an appointment. She apparently has a friend volunteering with FEMA who told her just to drive up. Could be an option if you are unable to find anything at CVS. 

Was there a fletchers stand in the wait area?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Same here, I'm wearing out my F5 key. Once or twice I've gotten to the second level you describe, only to get the "no more slots available"  thing. Starting to wonder if you need a fiber connection or absurdly low ping to get anything.

Edit: also someone please ship some of the Midland/Odessa vaccine which apparently is in plentiful supply, to somewhere near central Texas, please.

Edited by Paper_jam

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Same here, I'm wearing out my F5 key. Once or twice I've gotten to the second level you describe, only to get the "no more slots available"  thing. Starting to wonder if you need a fiber connection or absurdly low ping to get anything.

Edit: also someone please ship some of the Midland/Odessa vaccine which apparently is in plentiful supply, to somewhere near central Texas, please.

Keep checking the HEB site.  I got my spot about 3:45 yesterday (for tomorrow), and I remember they had lots of stores at that time that had openings, like a slot machine, just gotta keep pulling the handle.

ETA: CVS does as well, although they mainly seem to have spots in West Texas,  WTF is it with that area?  As you said, they don't want it, send it down here

Edited by UTCzech III

The school district where my wife works is setting up a vaccination site for employees.  She is scheduled to receive her first shot tomorrow.  I'm still looking every goddamn day but the appointments fill up too fast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

The school district where my wife works is setting up a vaccination site for employees.  She is scheduled to receive her first shot tomorrow.  I'm still looking every goddamn day but the appointments fill up too fast.

You should go to your wife's work as they will have extra since the teachers only need 9/12 of a dosage...since they don't need to work in the summer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My county health officer posted the following:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.27.433180v1?fbclid=IwAR29LFoenLjZWkl8MpJJfwiNrwYylHshGj1ynf-leD7vHAa-uQiPepEJHC0

I didn’t read it yet but his synopsis is that 1) it’s not yet peer reviewed, and 2) it shows that the vaccines provide cell mediated immunity that is effective against the known variants, even though antibody production is not. 

docs care to comment?

I’ll bite...

This study is very reassuring and well done.  Even if antibodies to COVID wane over time or the virus mutates where your antibodies are less effective, you’ve still got your T cells primed to kick ass and they don’t care as much about how the virus has changed.  

Think of your antibodies like the castle gate.  They protect you from the virus getting in but the virus may figure out a way around that.  But your T cells are like the army waiting behind the gates in case it gets through and still whip its ass.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Keep checking the HEB site.  I got my spot about 3:45 yesterday (for tomorrow), and I remember they had lots of stores at that time that had openings, like a slot machine, just gotta keep pulling the handle.

ETA: CVS does as well, although they mainly seem to have spots in West Texas,  WTF is it with that area?  As you said, they don't want it, send it down here

It’s not that we don’t want it out here in west Texas. We’ve got proportionally a higher percentage vaccinated. We are above 33% in our county. When you consider that 50% of the population won’t take it, we are simply running out of arms to put it in. 

1 hour ago, 4HE said:

It’s not that we don’t want it out here in west Texas. We’ve got proportionally a higher percentage vaccinated. We are above 33% in our county. When you consider that 50% of the population won’t take it, we are simply running out of arms to put it in. 

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably discussed earlier and I’ve seen a couple supporting articles, but the phenomenon of more side effects after the second injection made me think the already primed immune system is on the attack after the second exposure. And if so, does that mean people showing side effects to their first injection might have already had Covid and possibly didn’t know it?

My wife and I both had our first Moderna shot this morning and we both have raging migraines right now. 

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably discussed earlier and I’ve seen a couple supporting articles, but the phenomenon of more side effects after the second injection made me think the already primed immune system is on the attack after the second exposure. And if so, does that mean people showing side effects to their first injection might have already had Covid and possibly didn’t know it?

My wife and I both had our first Moderna shot this morning and we both have raging migraines right now. 

Strong possibility based on the way it works but then again maybe your wife just doesn't want to have sex with you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Strong possibility based on the way it works but then again maybe your wife just doesn't want to have sex with you.

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout
Nah, we were expecting nothing based on wide reports for first injections. Both got a headache a couple hours later that has progressively strengthened, and got very tired. (Yeah yeah, I’m tired = no sex, checkmate, ball game)

• Hook 'Em 1