COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

The projected date at which 50% of Texans will have a first shot keeps moving in.  Last weekend it was May 11th.  Yesterday it hit May 1st.  Today it is April 27th.  The number of first shots per day is just flying up.

Expect a little flattening over the next two weeks because there is not much J&J this week or next, followed by maybe a lot more J&J in late March and April.  But holy cow the numbers are rising.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's the Astrazeneca vaccine which is not available in the US...I don't think.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/europe/astrazeneca-vaccine-denmark-suspension-intl/index.html

JFC. People are just afraid to get sued /bad publicity.  People are going to die from the vaccine, but the sum total of deaths is going to be small compared to then number of deaths in Europe for delaying the shot 

Speaking to CNN Kjartan Njálsson, assistant to the director of health in Iceland, said that although there had been no reports of patients developing blood clots in the country, they were waiting for advice from the European Medicines Agency (EMA). "It's the lack of data right now that concerns us," he added.
The EMA said later Thursday that it did not recommend suspending use of the vaccine.
The agency said it was aware that Denmark had suspended use but that there was "currently no indication that vaccination has caused these conditions, which are not listed as side effects with this vaccine."
"The vaccine's benefits continue to outweigh its risks and the vaccine can continue to be administered while investigation of cases of thromboembolic events is ongoing," the agency added.
The EMA also noted that the number of blood clots seen in vaccine recipients was no higher than the rate among people who had not received the shot in Europe.

10 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Sharing because I hadn’t heard an official discussion of potential third booster shot. I’ve assumed from the beginning that it would be a yearly deal. 

Honestly, I had been assuming the opposite. Given the reports early on in the pandemic that immunity after having covid may not last as initially thought (and I honestly haven’t kept up with that info much since then, so that thinking may have changed), I pretty much figured it would mean getting boosters or multiple vaccinations per year. 

10 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Sharing because I hadn’t heard an official discussion of potential third booster shot. I’ve assumed from the beginning that it would be a yearly deal. 

getting my blood drawn Mar 23rd for antibodies......6 month post Pfizer vaccine

• Hook 'Em 2

Vaccine skepticism is off the charts in Europe, and not in the former Eastern Bloc (where I would have guessed).  Mostly places like France, Germany, Belgium - traditional Continental Western Europe.  So the politicians are having to tread lightly to avoid further spread of the perception that the vaccine is some low-tech Logan's Run scenario.  That's the real reason for the silly "pause to investigate."

• Haha 1

Memorial Hermann is expanding their wait list to 18+.  I signed up immediately.  Gotta be a good thing in my opinion.

https://secureaccess.memorialhermann.org/authenticated/COVID19Vax/HUB/PreRegistration?fbclid=IwAR0boFxVAjoEjj2wHMJJQfRPYn67la_ymGh8AOSChlYbiWnBPR3j1loldY0

Edited by pearlandhorn

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Memorial Hermann is expanding their wait list to 18+.  I signed up immediately.  Gotta be a good thing in my opinion.

https://secureaccess.memorialhermann.org/authenticated/COVID19Vax/HUB/PreRegistration?fbclid=IwAR0boFxVAjoEjj2wHMJJQfRPYn67la_ymGh8AOSChlYbiWnBPR3j1loldY0

According to the online registration form at the bottom, if you are a robot, doesn't look like you can get the vaccine....

9 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Vaccine skepticism is off the charts in Europe, and not in the former Eastern Bloc (where I would have guessed).  Mostly places like France, Germany, Belgium - traditional Continental Western Europe.  So the politicians are having to tread lightly to avoid further spread of the perception that the vaccine is some low-tech Logan's Run scenario.  That's the real reason for the silly "pause to investigate."

I'm not surprised that it's been a shit show in Europe outside of Germany.  Surprised they are fucking this up as well.

4 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Texas needs to step up.. grouped with like of Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas in the under 20% vaccinated (1st dose) club.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Interesting. Compare Texas and California. Texas has administered a higher % of their allocated shots, but California has a higher % of people vaxxed. Only assumption there is that CA is getting more shots relative to population. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Texas needs to step up.. grouped with like of Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas in the under 20% vaccinated (1st dose) club.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Eh Texas had Coldmageddon that put it behind and we are using the doses we get a a far faster rate than those other states.  If you check out midway down the page we are basically using doses at a rate commensurate with our other cohort of large states.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Interesting. Compare Texas and California. Texas has administered a higher % of their allocated shots, but California has a higher % of people vaxxed. Only assumption there is that CA is getting more shots relative to population. 

And this, CA with about 25% more population than Texas has gotten a shitload over 25% more doses allocated.

My guess would be either Texas has a significantly higher share of children (people do move here from places like CA to get their house and yard in the suburbs to raise kids), and/or a curtailing of doses in places like Amarillo or Odessa where half the population doesn’t want the shot, and they ran through the 1A/1Bs pretty quick. Both get way lower allocations more than they were at the outset (seriously - Amarillo was getting equal allocations to Austin lol).

Pure speculation though.

APH is a total shit show.  I have been trying to cancel myself from their list, but their portal is shit. Looks like I got auto booked last night for an appointment at noon today. Tried to go into the portal to cancel it and it throws up some message about some code they were running being borked.  I still can't remove myself from the list, cancel appointment or anything else. 

Getting my first dose today from UTMB in Clear Lake/Webster (Houston).  I'm not 1A, 1B, 1C or a teacher/school admin.  Signed up for their wait list about a month or so ago and got an e-mail yesterday asking me to schedule an appointment with a direct link.  I'm assuming it's leftover doses or they didn't have anyone within the categories left on wait lists so they moved to the common folk wait list.  It's either Pfizer or Moderna as it's a two dose shot (per the appointment).  Don't care, getting shot.

21 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

where are you getting your j&j data?

Every Tuesday, the feds publish allocation data for the next week here:
https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/distribution/index.html

That leads to Friday, when the state publishes allocation data for the next week here:
https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/immunize/vaccineallocations.aspx

The feds have a table just for J&J (Janssen) and the state breaks it out in their weekly allocations.  So you can see how much J&J is coming to Texas and where it is going by the weekend before the distribution week.

I don't have a link for the J&J ramp but I have read articles saying that the first week was a dump of all of the vaccine they had made up until that point, in the time when they were waiting for their trial to be over and for EUA approval.  That was "Week 13".  Now we are in a period where the initial dump is distributed and they are just distributing what they are able to manufacture that week, which is lower.  However, I have read that once the factory ramp period is over they are going to be producing a lot of J&J quickly ... and that period could be over around the end of March.

Put that together and we had a happy J&J week 13, followed by a trickle for a few weeks, followed hopefully by a flood in April.

More than 25% of Texans over 16 now have a first shot.  At this pace we will hit 50% in 40 days.  And based on recent progress I would take the under.

Phase 2 (no restrictions) is coming sooner than people think -- I have no inside info, they are just going to run out of 1A/1B/1C arms.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1