COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

I'm a Qanon nut, I'm holding out for 11G.  And when people ask, "Why 11G...why not just take the 10G shot and have 10G be the top vaccination power?"  I get to tie my own arm off, smile wide like the joker, stick the syringe in my own arm without looking and scream, "Because this vein goes up to 11 bitch!!!" 

The ironic part these dipshits don't understand is the people who got fully vaccinated, that personal database isn't worth anything.  It's the information on the people that didn't take it, that's the data grab.  That's who gets to ride the lightning.  Do you know what I can do with information on 150 million American adults who took a vaccine to stave off deadly infection like they did earlier in life with polio and smallpox? Not much but offers of car warranty extensions. 

Know what I can sell 50 million American adults who refused it because of ill-placed ideas in their tiny brains?  The options are infinite.  Starting with the promise of an anti-body test that, for $24.95, will prove their systems are immune to Covid-19 to begin with, that they show to their insurance company.  While they're screaming "5G implants"..."Vaccines make us sick!"...all they're doing is self-identifying as the 50 million dumbest consumers since Amway was invented.  And the best part?  They're not trying to hide their identity...they're proud of their refusal to take it, makes the sale on the other side even easier.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm a Qanon nut, I'm holding out for 11G.  And when people ask, "Why 11G...why not just take the 10G shot and have 10G be the top vaccination power?"  I get to tie my own arm off, smile wide like the joker, stick the syringe in my own arm without looking and scream, "Because this vein goes up to 11 bitch!!!" 

The ironic part these dipshits don't understand is the people who got fully vaccinated, that personal database isn't worth anything.  It's the information on the people that didn't take it, that's the data grab.  That's who gets to ride the lightning.  Do you know what I can do with information on 150 million American adults who took a vaccine to stave off deadly infection like they did earlier in life with polio and smallpox? Not much but offers of car warranty extensions. 

Know what I can sell 50 million American adults who refused it because of ill-placed ideas in their tiny brains?  The options are infinite.  Starting with the promise of an anti-body test that, for $24.95, will prove their systems are immune to Covid-19 to begin with, that they show to their insurance company.  While they're screaming "5G implants"..."Vaccines make us sick!"...all they're doing is self-identifying as the 50 million dumbest consumers since Amway was invented.  And the best part?  They're not trying to hide their identity...they're proud of their refusal to take it, makes the sale on the other side even easier.  

umm, Alex Jones beat you to this by like a decade or two.

• Haha 1

Pretty good data that shows prior infection/vaccination is good for at least 6-9 months (not so for vaccines on the long end of that given the timing, but if a prior infection does that, and the vaccines generate as much it more of an antibody response, reasonable to assume). You should be fine four months out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the data just doesn't go back any further than 6-9 months and that's why they don't have any confidence beyond that?

Edit- reading more of this thread, it seems my question is confirmed

SIAP, but what's the latest on how long the efficacy of the vaccines last?  I'm scheduled to be in New Orleans for 4th of July weekend, and by the time I get there it will have been about 4 months since my second shot.  I plan on sticking with the mask, but from pictures in the New Orleans food thread, it looks like a lot of restaurants have been waving good-bye to social distancing and decreased capacity. 

75% occupancy at restaurants now.

Sazeracs will kill all other pathogens.
  • Like 1

Feds out with first dose vaccine numbers for next week for Texas:

• Pfizer 441,090 -- up 81,900 from last week which was itself a record Pfizer week
  • Moderna 260,400 -- stable over the last six weeks or so
  • J&J 153,900 -- up 123,700 from last week, not quite up to the 219,200 from their first week but their ramp has begun

Next week will be a new record at 855,390 first shots allocated to Texas, only the second week over 700k.  Second shots should also set a record as the effects of the winter storm wash out.  It will be interesting to see how DSHS deploys the extra Pfizer and J&J.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

We're all getting a booster shot for Covid-19 about once a year.  Just like the flu shot.  Steel yourselves, it's just gonna be a thing you do at HEB pharmacy while shopping.  We're gonna somehow make it through this as adults. 

Hopefully we can just get both at once. #that'swhatshesaid

Yeah, obviously lots of data on flu shots.  We usually wait closer to between Halloween and Thanksgiving so that it'll last all the way through April (though flu season in Austin is really done by late March).  No real clear information on how Covid boosters will work yet obviously.  But I'm guessing it'll be something like 6 months after your second dose.  So we'll all kind of roll through the year based on our original vaccine.  Also some say, if it does come to that, could be 1x a year, could be 2x a year.  Obviously unknown at this point.  But I would think it'll be 6 or 12 months after your original full battery of vaccines was completed.  People will complain and try to get them over with at the same time as flu shot but that probably won't jive as cleanly as people think.  Right now, wife and I would be about 6 months past in October so may as well do it around the flu shot and book it for a long weekend of recovery at home in case we feel ill. 

Real  challenge will be with kids.  They won't get the shot until late 2021 at the earliest.  Right in the middle of flu season, for which we would have already had them injected earlier in the year.  So maybe theirs is flu shot in mid-Autumn and then Covid-19 booster over Christmas Break or thereabouts.  I dunno, fucking worked for polio...let's give it a day at the rodeo.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

Quantitative Antibody Test?

yes 

and of course no instant feedback on results (all they ever tell me is...we will not leave you unprotected). So I wait like everyone else, I do know that I got my vaccine (#2) on September 23rd 2020 and I was late in the game getting invited into the vaccine study. There are folks out there that got it 30 to 60 days prior to me and the folks at the clinic did tell me that they have not heard anything back from Pfizer on any of the antibody results.....so I'm taking that as a good sign that antibodies are doing good. I am scheduled to go back September 23rd 2021 for my 1 year blood draw.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hpara759 said:

yes 

and of course no instant feedback on results (all they ever tell me is...we will not leave you unprotected). So I wait like everyone else, I do know that I got my vaccine (#2) on September 23rd 2020 and I was late in the game getting invited into the vaccine study. There are folks out there that got it 30 to 60 days prior to me and the folks at the clinic did tell me that they have not heard anything back from Pfizer on any of the antibody results.....so I'm taking that as a good sign that antibodies are doing good. I am scheduled to go back September 23rd 2021 for my 1 year blood draw.

I'm pretty sure I read recently that they had seen 9 month post-vaccine immunity in the very early trial participants. So far the immunity window keeps getting longer every time they re-check. For all we know it could be years. I'm skeptical of Lobo's prediction that we'll get a booster every six months. I'd guess once a year at most.

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can you give some detail on chart B?  I don't understand what the blue and black lines are.  Is the black line the trend line on actual or predicted?

Figure description from article Heme linked...black line is predicted. Black dots are actual. 

Figure 1. Early Results of SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination.

Panel A shows the percentage of persons with new SARS-CoV-2 infection among 23,234 employees of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) who were eligible to receive SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, stratified according to vaccination status from December 15, 2020, through January 28, 2021. Vaccination status was determined at the time of the first SARS-CoV-2–positive test on or after December 15; if no infection was detected between December 15 and January 28, the vaccination status on January 28 was used. Nonvaccinated persons were those for whom there was no record of vaccine received at UTSW, partially vaccinated persons were those who had received one dose or who had received the second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine less than 7 days before the index date or the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine less than 14 days before the index date, and fully vaccinated persons were those who had received the second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine at least 7 days before the index date or the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine at least 14 days before the index date. 𝙸 bars denote 95% confidence intervals.

Panel B shows that the number of positive tests was projected to increase without vaccination (black line). The shaded area denotes the 95% confidence interval. The actual number of positive tests (black dots) decreased from January 9 (blue line) onward (25 days after the initiation of employee vaccinations).

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

yes 

Curious how much you were compensated for study participation?

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Yet the everytime someone gets COVID after being vaccinated its the banner headline and breaking news.  Fucking media.

My MIL, whom I love very much, sent my husband and me an article about a fully vaccinated nurse that was infected. My MIL says (she’s fully vaccinated too) says well, looks like we can’t let our guard down even around vaccinated people if we want to completely avoid getting infected. 

I told her that we know they don’t give 100% protection against infection, but they do against severe illness and death. I’m not about to hide out in quarantine again now that I’m fully vaccinated. The goal was never to bring infection rates to zero, but to decrease illness and death. Wala here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other eye opening stat is only 78% had gotten vaccinated as of early March. 

Every drive by a hospital or even just a cluster of doctor's offices and see a half dozen people outside in scrubs smoking cigarettes?  They're that 22%.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Every drive by a hospital or even just a cluster of doctor's offices and see a half dozen people outside in scrubs smoking cigarettes?  They're that 22%.  

Mrs. Brat (a nonsmoker since 1976) worked for decades at the Texas Department of Health. When smoking was finally banned in her office building, a designated smoking area was set up outside by the entrance. After a year of every employee & visitor having to walk through a gauntlet of 300 lb. chainsmokers’ smog, the commissioner finally banned it out to the parking lots.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Curious how much you were compensated for study participation?

$1000.00 (and some change)  they give you a credit card and put money on it....I have an app on my phone and every week I have to fill out questionnaire on the app and send it in

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

That link says that that particular test is only available for research settings.  Maybe that has changed since last October. There are quantitative spike antibody tests available though, from quest for example, that you can order directly: https://questdirect.questdiagnostics.com/products/covid-19-antibody-test/b580e541-78a5-48a6-b17b-7bad949dcb57

I don't think that there is any clear guidance as to how to interpret the results though, i.e. how does the specific level correlate with protection. Positive for AB is a good thing, but having a threshold where you knew optimal protection existed would be reassuring. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The other eye opening stat is only 78% had gotten vaccinated as of early March. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study.  Talked to the spouse of someone that runs a large hospital system in the South and the reluctance among non MD employees breaks down along racial lines.  Management of the system asked why the reluctance to taking the vaccine and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study was cited often.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

We will never achieve herd immunity against stupid.

Worse than that, society-- CIVILIZATION-- exists almost entirely to preserve the stupid and protect them from themselves.  It's an intentional construct to thwart Darwinism.

Worse than that, society-- CIVILIZATION-- exists almost entirely to preserve the stupid and protect them from themselves.  It's an intentional construct to thwart Darwinism.

It really is. Most of us are coasting on the achievements of the top 10-20 percent of the species. Most of us are decent enough at hiding it at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study.  Talked to the spouse of someone that runs a large hospital system in the South and the reluctance among non MD employees breaks down along racial lines.  Management of the system asked why the reluctance to taking the vaccine and the Tuskegee Syphilis Study was cited often.

Worth noting this anecdote is contrary, though not necessarily opposite, to polling data. Also worth noting I haven’t seen a regional breakdown. It wouldn’t necessarily surprise me if holdouts from black people are higher in the south, given the historical and socioeconomic context.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Worth noting this anecdote is contrary, though not necessarily opposite, to polling data. Also worth noting I haven’t seen a regional breakdown. It wouldn’t necessarily surprise me if holdouts from black people are higher in the south, given the historical and socioeconomic context.

Yep.  And this was in Atlanta.

24 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

so does this mean it's going to be racist to criticize anti-vaxxers now?

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

My MIL, whom I love very much, sent my husband and me an article about a fully vaccinated nurse that was infected. My MIL says (she’s fully vaccinated too) says well, looks like we can’t let our guard down even around vaccinated people if we want to completely avoid getting infected. 

I told her that we know they don’t give 100% protection against infection, but they do against severe illness and death. I’m not about to hide out in quarantine again now that I’m fully vaccinated. The goal was never to bring infection rates to zero, but to decrease illness and death. Wala here we are. 

Agreed completely.  And Walla has 2 L's my dude.

21 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

Vaccines working really fucking well in healthcare workers at UT Southwestern in Dallas

the percentages of persons who became infected differed according to vaccination status, with infections in 234 of 8969 nonvaccinated employees (2.61%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.29 to 2.96), 112 of 6144 partially vaccinated employees (1.82%; 95% CI, 1.50 to 2.19), and 4 of 8121 fully vaccinated employees (0.05%; 95% CI, 0.01 to 0.13) (P<0.01 for all pairwise comparisons).

• Hook 'Em 2