COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

One interesting potential side effect I’ve heard about through my wife and her Facebook groups is younger women’s cycles getting jacked up after getting vaccinated. Only anecdotal of course, but she says it’s shared pretty commonly in these groups that things can get out of whack. 

I’m curious if anyone else has heard or seen similar. Particularly people in medical field. 

Dunno, but I’ll ask Mrs. Brat if her cycle was out of whack after her shots.

• Haha 1

If you want timely news then use twitter which is basically a crowd sourced news/information dump.   Follow a good sample of different people, outlets, etc.   And then follow who they follow.  Often I see news or events occur 10-20 mins before it hits any majors.   You get real time data from the spot in most cases.   You do have to wade through a lot of garbage

Honestly I get most of my news from surly, at least initially
  • Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

One interesting potential side effect I’ve heard about through my wife and her Facebook groups is younger women’s cycles getting jacked up after getting vaccinated. Only anecdotal of course, but she says it’s shared pretty commonly in these groups that things can get out of whack. 

I’m curious if anyone else has heard or seen similar. Particularly people in medical field. 

How 'young' you talking about here?  25 or 45?  

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

imagination jerking off GIF

• Like 1

Not caught in trials or in the millions of women of reproductive age already vaccinated, but Facebook is known as a source of reliable, factual information, so there’s that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not caught in trials or in the millions of women of reproductive age already vaccinated, but Facebook is known as a source of reliable, factual information, so there’s that.

You make a good point. I was curious if it’s something women talk about only amongst themselves like in these groups. Or with their doctors. Carry on. 

Edited by GRHorn

CA opening up to people 50+ on April 1, then opening up to anyone 16+ on April 15. 

It’ll be a clusterfuck of epic proportions with almost 20 million people eligible to get the shot starting 04/15. But hopefully with a more stable vaccine supply, we’ll be vaccinated before summer vacation starts. 

Isn't Rutgers the NCAA gonorrhea champion three years running?  What's one more fucking shot to keep campus completely open?  

I think you should get some kinda shot just for being in New Jersey, period.  I don't care what's in it.  Just something, it's North Jersey. 

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I have serious reservations about requiring it.  Or am I just a CR moron?

Private entities can require what they wish so long as it isn’t discriminatory. 

public entities such as school districts have required certain vaccines for a long time, and I would guess that has been fully litigated. 

so what’s the problem?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

So I have some family members who are now having trouble locating a second moderna injection in Williamson county. Any hints?

That seems weird.  I thought they scheduled your next shot right after your first.  That’s what happened to me.

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That seems weird.  I thought they scheduled your next shot right after your first.  That’s what happened to me.

Not all places. 28 days for earliest second shot time is 2 weeks for me, but I don’t have an appointment. They said they’d call me to schedule 

So I have some family members who are now having trouble locating a second moderna injection in Williamson county. Any hints?

Sign up for Family Hospital Systems vaccine list. They will email you in about 48 hours with a list to their vaccine portal and you can book a second Moderna shot at Kelly Reaves.

So after coaching my son's LL game yesterday I got home at 7:30 and was asleep by 8:00 and woke up 12 hours later.

I got the second shot a couple of days ago and felt fine until yesterday afternoon and then last night went into coma. Feel good now but man I was out of it.

18 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Finally scored a vax appt last night here in Denver through Walmart as they refresh at midnight every night. Have to drive 30 miles out but well worth it.

My wife called me out on jumping the line but I told her to f right off with that

You never want to be worth more dead than alive.  My wife knows I have life insurance, but no way I'm telling her how much.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Today’s NYT briefing:

Bruce Sacerdote, an economics professor at Dartmouth College, noticed something last year about the Covid-19 television coverage that he was watching on CNN and PBS. It almost always seemed negative, regardless of what was he seeing in the data or hearing from scientists he knew.

When Covid cases were rising in the U.S., the news coverage emphasized the increase. When cases were falling, the coverage instead focused on those places where cases were rising. And when vaccine research began showing positive results, the coverage downplayed it, as far as Sacerdote could tell.

But he was not sure whether his perception was correct. To check, he began working with two other researchers, building a database of Covid coverage from every major network, CNN, Fox News, Politico, The New York Times and hundreds of other sources, in the U.S. and overseas. The researchers then analyzed it with a social-science technique that classifies language as positive, neutral or negative.

The results showed that Sacerdote’s instinct had been right — and not just because the pandemic has been mostly a grim story.

The U.S. media is an outlier

The coverage by U.S. publications with a national audience has been much more negative than coverage by any other source that the researchers analyzed, including scientific journals, major international publications and regional U.S. media. “The most well-read U.S. media are outliers in terms of their negativity,” Molly Cook, a co-author of the study, told me.

About 87 percent of Covid coverage in national U.S. media last year was negative. The share was 51 percent in international media, 53 percent in U.S. regional media and 64 percent in scientific journals.

Notably, the coverage was negative in both U.S. media outlets with liberal audiences (like MSNBC) and those with conservative audiences (like Fox News).

24-MORNING-VIRUSNEWS-articleLarge.png
By The New York Times | Sources: Bruce Sacerdote, Ranjan Sehgal and Molly Cook

Sacerdote is careful to emphasize that he does not think journalists usually report falsehoods. The issue is which facts they emphasize. Still, the new study — which the National Bureau of Economic Research has published as a working paper, titled, “Why is all Covid-19 news bad news?” — calls for some self-reflection from those of us in the media.

If we’re constantly telling a negative story, we are not giving our audience the most accurate portrait of reality. We are shading it. We are doing a good job telling you why Covid cases are rising in some places and how the vaccines are imperfect — but not such a good job explaining why cases are falling elsewhere or how the vaccines save lives. Perhaps most important, we are not being clear about which Covid developments are truly alarming.

As Ranjan Sehgal, another co-author, told me, “The media is painting a picture that is a little bit different from what the scientists are saying.”

Why the bad-news bias?

The researchers say they are not sure what explains their findings, but they do have a leading contender: The U.S. media is giving the audience what it wants.

When the researchers examined which stories were the most read or the most shared on Facebook, they tended to be the most negative stories. To put it another way, the stories that people choose to read skew even more negative than the stories that media organizations choose to publish. “Human beings, particularly consumers of major media, like negativity in their stories,” Sacerdote said. “We think the major media are responding to consumer demand.”

That idea is consistent with the patterns in the data, Sacerdote added: It makes sense that national publications have better instincts about reaching a large audience than, say, science journals. And overseas, some of the most influential English-language media organizations — like the BBC — have long received government funding, potentially making them less focused on consumer demand.

All of that sounds plausible to me, but I don’t think it is the full explanation. I have worked in media for nearly three decades, and I think you might be surprised by how little time journalists spend talking about audience size. We care about it, obviously, but most journalists I know care much more about other factors, like doing work that has an impact.

In the modern era of journalism — dating roughly to the Vietnam War and Watergate — we tend to equate impact with asking tough questions and exposing problems. There are some good reasons for that. We are inundated by politicians, business executives, movie stars and others trying to portray themselves in the best light. Our job is to cut through the self-promotion and find the truth. If we don’t tell you the bad news, you may never hear it.

Sometimes, though, our healthy skepticism can turn into reflexive cynicism, and we end up telling something less than the complete story. I am grateful to Sacerdote, Cook and Sehgal for doing to us journalists what we normally do to others — holding up a mirror to our work and giving us a chance to do better

So the above was NYT's morning briefing yesterday.  Today? "Good morning. Covid-19 testing is on the decline. That’s a problem."  

I laughed hard enough that my wife asked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So the above was NYT's morning briefing yesterday.  Today? "Good morning. Covid-19 testing is on the decline. That’s a problem."  

I laughed hard enough that my wife asked.

I can't disagree with that.  Regardless of source and direction, we love "bad news" and the worst spin on everything.

I have yet to hear -- from media or public official -- what a reasonable "goal" is, what a world in which we can all relax a bit looks like.  I've suggested repeatedly that when we get vaccinations and therapeutics to a point where the effects of COVID on society will be no worse than the effect of the seasonal flu (that is, it will make a very low number of people seriously ill or die), then we will have "won."  Sure, we'll have ongoing efforts, we'll have to stay on top of it.  But NOBODY is talking in those terms.

We're going to get news stories years from now "people are still dying from COVID!"  Yes, if you don't eradicate such a disease, that can happen.  It WILL happen.  We can't STOP it from happening.  So adjust the message and expectations.

From "it's nothing, it's just the flu, it's a hoax!" to "wear a mask when you sleep by yourself in your home or you'll die!" extremes, I'm sick of this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can't disagree with that.  Regardless of source and direction, we love "bad news" and the worst spin on everything.

I have yet to hear -- from media or public official -- what a reasonable "goal" is, what a world in which we can all relax a bit looks like.  I've suggested repeatedly that when we get vaccinations and therapeutics to a point where the effects of COVID on society will be no worse than the effect of the seasonal flu (that is, it will make a very low number of people seriously ill or die), then we will have "won."  Sure, we'll have ongoing efforts, we'll have to stay on top of it.  But NOBODY is talking in those terms.

We're going to get news stories years from now "people are still dying from COVID!"  Yes, if you don't eradicate such a disease, that can happen.  It WILL happen.  We can't STOP it from happening.  So adjust the message and expectations.

From "it's nothing, it's just the flu, it's a hoax!" to "wear a mask when you sleep by yourself in your home or you'll die!" extremes, I'm sick of this shit.

You should be VERY concerned.  So you'll watch.  If that's "VERY concerned that this is all bullshit," watch channel A.  If that's "VERY concerned that we're all gonna die," watch channel B.

But you need to be VERY concerned either way.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

You should be VERY concerned.  So you'll watch.  If that's "VERY concerned that this is all bullshit," watch channel A.  If that's "VERY concerned that we're all gonna die," watch channel B.

But you need to be VERY concerned either way.

Hearing all that bullshit, I think it would be better if I was VERY drunk.

Minnesota will be making everyone 16 or older eligible for vaccination starting Tuesday.  So far things have been going well here (trucking along at 24K first doses a day and 40K total)

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/10/04/walz-expands-vaccine-eligibility-to-minnesotans-16-and-older?fbclid=IwAR0Z4iXS5Sw-dPShaU52o_Cl90BNhSU5w7iVefJjqgPl2wFSLMFV7Lbc3Zc

Edited by GopherRock
  • Hook 'Em 1