COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Texas Week 16 is out:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week16.pdf

Anyone know why UT received zero doses this week?

Also, most of the J&J (45k shots) went to "DSHS CENTRAL PHARMACY WAREHOUSE" and 24k Pfizer doses went to "Texas DSHS Laboratory".  What is the state doing with all of that vaccine?

Edited by Texas Jeff

On 3/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, GRHorn said:

One interesting potential side effect I’ve heard about through my wife and her Facebook groups is younger women’s cycles getting jacked up after getting vaccinated. Only anecdotal of course, but she says it’s shared pretty commonly in these groups that things can get out of whack. 

I’m curious if anyone else has heard or seen similar. Particularly people in medical field. 

Just asking questions designed to spread around propaganda anti vax bullshit again?  My God you are so obvious.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas Week 16 is out:

Also, most of the J&J (45k shots) went to "DSHS CENTRAL PHARMACY WAREHOUSE" and 24k Pfizer doses went to "Texas DSHS Laboratory".  What is the state doing with all of that vaccine?

Hitting up all the state hospitals and state schools?

On 3/28/2021 at 6:50 PM, dcar00 said:

maybe staging that has enough cooling capabilities?  what is temp requirement and timeframe for J&J?

J&J can be stored between 36 and 46 degrees F.  You are not supposed to freeze it.

It is a game changer because of the easy storage requirements, the low cost, and the single dose -- compared with Pfizer and Moderna.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

What’s the latest on the AstraZeneca?  Last I saw the blood clot population was almost the same with as without. More data showing it is dangerous?

Event rates in some countries (e.g. Germany and Norway) higher than what you would expect from the background rates.  Still very low incidence, but higher than expected, so it's throwing up signals. 

Got an appt scheduled for one of my employees who’s computer skills are not great and was having trouble getting signed up for one. I went to HEB first and the closest appt this week was Beaumont. Went to CVS and they have quite a few from Galveston up through Dickinson, TC, and Channelview. Was able to grab the last one in Baytown for my employee. Kind of the reverse of what I expected. Figured H‑E‑B  would have had less traffic so more spots available 

Living in Hays and very little available. Sucks for Austin since so many commute back and forth. Heard a rumor of a Church in Wimberley having vaccines. Called them and they said they may have some tomorrow. No appointment needed. Figure worth going out and trying. 

Good luck to all those on the hunt. 

And a Z-pack for a virus? 

Yes. Whether it’s based on studies or not it’s often prescribed. I took it very early on after my shingles (a virus) outbreak a few years ago and my case of shingles was clear in a couple of days. Sure, it’s anecdotal but it seemed to work for me. My doctor’s attitude was that it can’t hurt and it’s seemed to work with her patients.

And one of my friends who had covid a couple of months ago (along with his wife) told me during golf this past weekend that he and his wife were both given HCQ and their symptoms (which were not, like most, severe anyway) disappeared in about a day. A placebo might have gotten the same result, but they believed it worked. To be clear, I’m not trying to debate the merits of a particular drug. Just saying that it’s being prescribed.

39 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Living in Hays and very little available. Sucks for Austin since so many commute back and forth. Heard a rumor of a Church in Wimberley having vaccines. Called them and they said they may have some tomorrow. No appointment needed. Figure worth going out and trying. 

Good luck to all those on the hunt. 

It's a drive, but the HEBs in Corpus have been reliably having appointments available.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's a drive, but the HEBs in Corpus have been reliably having appointments available.

Thanks. might load up the kiddo and run down there. It is important I get it for her since she wants to go do a summer program that is going to require it by 15 May. 

My 17 year old got Pfizer yesterday in TC.  She threw her name down on the TC list back in December when it opened up.  Clearly supply must be starting to outstrip demand (or at least hand raised, "I want this" demand) which probably isn't really a good thing given how many are still not vaccinated.  

On 3/28/2021 at 12:43 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Texas Week 16 is out:

I'm looking for the J&J in Midland County, which are very hard to find. This weeks allotment shows 1,100 J&J doses going to the Midland DSHS. So I call over there to inquire, but they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.  Best I got out of out of it was they are just a distribution center, but they don't know where the vaccines are going nor do they have them yet.

Maybe they are distributing to the prisons in the area.

57 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

My 17 year old got Pfizer yesterday in TC.  She threw her name down on the TC list back in December when it opened up.  Clearly supply must be starting to outstrip demand (or at least hand raised, "I want this" demand) which probably isn't really a good thing given how many are still not vaccinated.  

It was JUST opened to people under 50 in Texas yesterday.  I don't think supply is about to outstrip demand any time soon.

I DO think that a lot of people are having trouble navigating all of the various websites/systems/phyiscal sites where they can get the vaccine.  If you heard, as I did yesterday, that 7,000 shots of Moderna were released to APH last night and all of those appointments were gone within an hour, then you might not understand that there are other places around town you can still sign up for, and get it.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It was JUST opened to people under 50 in Texas yesterday.  I don't think supply is about to outstrip demand any time soon.

I dunno. You might be right, but there's also the possibility that a huge portion of the "very eager to get a vaccine" population already got it by signing up as 1B with conditions or by letting them know they're surly lawyers. That "very eager" population might not be as big as you'd expect. 

Obviously will be hugely regional as well. Austin will probably have demand for awhile. Waco won't.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I dunno. You might be right, but there's also the possibility that a huge portion of the "very eager to get a vaccine" population already got it by signing up as 1B with conditions or by letting them know they're surly lawyers. That "very eager" population might not be as big as you'd expect. 

Obviously will be hugely regional as well. Austin will probably have demand for awhile. Waco won't.

I think there are a lot of people-- like me-- who weren't eligible to sign up before yesterday, without lying about underlying conditions.  In fact, almost everyone I know falls into that category.  I didn't feel the need to lie, and potentially take away a spot from someone with greater need than I have, so I didn't sign up previously.

Now that I'm allowed to sign up, I have, and I'll be getting Moderna #1 on Thursday.  As I said before, aside from my elderly parents, almost every single person I know is like me-- under 50 and no need to jump the line.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I think there are a lot of people-- like me-- who weren't eligible to sign up before yesterday, without lying about underlying conditions.  In fact, almost everyone I know falls into that category.  I didn't feel the need to lie, and potentially take away a spot from someone with greater need than I have, so I didn't sign up previously.

Now that I'm allowed to sign up, I have, and I'll be getting Moderna #1 on Thursday.  As I said before, aside from my elderly parents, almost every single person I know is like me-- under 50 and no need to jump the line.

Sounds like your social circle is quite a bit more honest than society at large..

• Haha 1

And a lot of the over 16 under 25 age group has already had the virus and are not in a hurry to get the shots. Most of my friends and work colleagues who got covid got it from their young adult kids, especially college kids. On the second day of eligibility I was able this morning to snag an appointment at CVS in Houston for my 26 year old.

Lying to qualify as 1B has most definitely been happening... a lot.  I couldn't do it it.  I felt terrible.  I wanted to wait until I was legitimately able to do it and I took care of jab #1 today.  I strongly suggest using Vaccine Spotter.  Helped me find lots of options. 

• Like 2

Just now, texasdago said:

Lying to qualify as 1B has most definitely been happening... a lot.  I couldn't do it it.  I felt terrible.  I wanted to wait until I was legitimately able to do it and I took care of jab #1 today.  I strongly suggest using Vaccine Spotter.  Helped me find lots of options. 

Aren’t you in sales?  You lie for a living. 

Dude, I did exactly the same thing. I tried to sign up several times in early March, but when I got to the screen asking me to check that I had a chronic condition, I just couldn't do it knowing that there are legit 1a and 1b trying to get a shot. I couldn't live with the hypocrisy of me supporting masks and even shutdowns to protect the vulnerable and then fucking them over by lying to get my own vaccine.

But yesterday, when it opened to the public, I went to HEB's site, checked that I'm in "group 2," played the F5 game on HEB for a couple of hours, and had the Pfizer #1 shot in my arm by the afternoon.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Dude, I did exactly the same thing. I tried to sign up several times in early March, but when I got to the screen asking me to check that I had a chronic condition, I just couldn't do it knowing that there are legit 1a and 1b trying to get a shot. I couldn't live with the hypocrisy of me supporting masks and even shutdowns to protect the vulnerable and then fucking them over by lying to get my own vaccine.

But yesterday, when it opened to the public, I went to HEB's site, checked that I'm in "group 2," played the F5 game on HEB for a couple of hours, and had the Pfizer #1 shot in my arm by the afternoon.

Exactly it.  I felt like a total hypocrite trying to jump the line.  Now I'm relishing my new microchip.

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I had no issues stretching the truth about my 1B status once the governor opened everything 100% and removed the mask mandate.  The only protection (everyone wearing masks in public) was gone so I got my shot ASAP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had no issues stretching the truth about my 1B status once the governor opened everything 100% and removed the mask mandate.  The only protection (everyone wearing masks in public) was gone so I got my shot ASAP. 

Don’t know where you live or hang out, but here in Houston I have seen zero change in mask protocol after Abbott’s decision. My workplace, church, HEB, restaurants and private clubs are all the same as before.

I live in The Woodlands which has always had a high mask compliance.  At HEB the mask usage is still pretty good, but we ate at a restaurant last week in The Woodland and mask usage was more like 20%.  That's for people waiting for a table, obviously not the people at tables.  At Lowe's last week, I would say it was closer to 50% at best for mask usage and it's only going to get less and less prevalent from here.  I am 51 and a little overweight.  I probably would have qualified 1B if i really wanted to based on that and elevated blood pressure.  Still, I don't for one second feel badly for slightly stretching the truth and getting a shot. 

So I guess maybe that was different in TC than other areas.  My daughter didn't lie about being 1B she simply signed up on an open list that was available for anybody to sign up on the moment it opened.  Any county/agency that didn't just open a sign up list to anybody right from the jump was fucking stupid.  Let folks sign up, if they are not 1A, or 1B they can wait (like my daughter did) but at least you have an early sense of overall demand.

It wasn't some rocket science form for them to set up or analyze the results on to create their priority lists.  Name, address, DOB, gender, race, contact information (email/phone), where do you work, Check any health conditions that apply,  the end.  Any agency that couldn't do that should probably be shot to the moon.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I live in The Woodlands which has always had a high mask compliance.  At HEB the mask usage is still pretty good, but we ate at a restaurant last week in The Woodland and mask usage was more like 20%.  That's for people waiting for a table, obviously not the people at tables.  At Lowe's last week, I would say it was closer to 50% at best for mask usage and it's only going to get less and less prevalent from here.  I am 51 and a little overweight.  I probably would have qualified 1B if i really wanted to based on that and elevated blood pressure.  Still, I don't for one second feel badly for slightly stretching the truth and getting a shot. 

You can’t tell in a situation like a restaurant if the clientele are out and about specifically because they’ve been vaccinated and are enjoying some freedoms they haven’t allowed themselves for a while, or if it’s just mask usage dwindling.  I understand the rationale of mask wearing even post-vax for a while, but others do not feel the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As I saw it, the governor's decision increased the risk for vulnerable populations and made it all the more important to postpone shots for people, like me, who are under 50 and have no chronic health conditions. I'm a "science first" guy, and, despite anecdotes to the contrary, the science shows that covid won't kill me and probably won't make me very sick.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

As I saw it, the governor's decision increased the risk for vulnerable populations and made it all the more important to postpone shots for people, like me, who are under 50 and have no chronic health conditions. I'm a "science first" guy, and, despite anecdotes to the contrary, the science shows that covid won't kill me and probably won't make me very sick.

There is also a benefit to others around the most vulnerable being vaccinated. Either way helps everyone to some degree. The only bad outcome is shots being tossed in the trash. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, JimmyJames said:

Just asking questions designed to spread around propaganda anti vax bullshit again?  My God you are so obvious.

As John Oliver showed a couple weeks ago, that's Tucker Carlson's MO.  He's just asking questions, that's all...

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't think supply is about to outstrip demand any time soon.

Within two months it probably will.   There was an article about it around a month ago but I can't remember who had it.  

Edited by midtown

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

Within two months it probably will.   There was an article about it around a month ago but I can't remember who had it.  

Sure.  I don't consider two months from now to be "anytime soon."  I consider two months from now, to be the point where everyone who wants the vaccine, will have received it.  At that point, we'll likely have all sorts of extra supply.

There is also a benefit to others around the most vulnerable being vaccinated. Either way helps everyone to some degree. The only bad outcome is shots being tossed in the trash. 
I guess I disagree. If the vulnerable population is vaccinated, then there is not much risk to them from being around unvaccinated people. That's one reason why the guidelines prioritized access to vulnerable populations. Getting them vaccinated was the priority. The risk is that the vulnerable population cannot get vaccines because everybody else is cutting in line. However, I have no problem with people going to clinics at the end of the day and getting leftovers to prevent them from going in the trash.
  • Like 1

We're still stuck on a disturbingly high percentage of the "vulnerable" population not wanting to get the vaccine, no matter the supply.  Thankfully, it's dropping.  But among those over 50, those who are obese, and those with other co-morbidities---that whole aggregated group is riding way too high in terms of those that won't get vaccinated.  It's still around 25%.  Way too fucking high.  While we're waiting on the number of stupid people to drop (spoiler alert, it'll take awhile), other groups need to go in massive waves to get vaccinated as well in order to do two things:  Get to herd faster and protect that selfish 25% who won't do it themselves but want everybody else to applaud their freedoms.  

Science, health officials, and family members...we've done all we can to help the stupid people.  There are millions of Americans that physically won't survive having this vaccine because they have legitimate immune-system issues.  There are those that have legitimate concerns from historical abuses of their population by government vaccination projects.  And there are those who cannot for generations-long religious beliefs.  Everybody else is being a fucking asshole.  On 30 June, the hammer drops.  If you can prove you've been registering for shots but haven't found any place that can accommodate your schedule for work, family, etc.---you move up to priority gold premium executive and the rest of the summer is just about fitting you into the system.  If you fall into one of those three groups mentioned above, you get a pass and we wil do our best to help protect you while herd is achieved.  Other than that, if you're still hesitant on 30 June and have made no effort to get one, we all get to cough on your Golden Corral salad plate for a year.  

Empowered Stupidity had its moment in the sun.  Now it's time to get the fuck back where you belong.

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I signed my 16 and 18 yo daughters (no pics) up when it opened up for everyone this week.  18 yo already has an appointment for her first Moderna shot Friday.  I suspect it will be a little tougher to get the 16 yo scheduled because she is limited to Pfizer.

My daughters (no pics) are 26 and 29.  They have had every vaccine available as have my wife and I.  We are big believers in vaccines.  My wife and I (both 58 years old) both have been vaccinated for covid and my 29 year old is in the healthcare biz and she has been vaccinated.  My 26 year old gets her first shot on Saturday.  But I'm not sure I would give my kids the covid vaccine if they were under 20.  Sure, I get the altruistic motive to help with community spread and it's admirable. 

Comparing flu deaths in Texas with covid deaths in Texas, for people under 20, the seasonal flu is way more dangerous and we never made our daughters get flu shots in high school or college.  For the flu seasons ending the fall of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 the deaths in Texas of persons under 17 is 63, 96, 79 and 82, respectively.  For covid, the persons in Texas that died under age 20 is 49.  See www.dsha.state.tx.us (for pre-covid flu deaths) and https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83 for covid deaths.  Because the gene therapy-based covid vaccines are relatively new in the vaccine world I'm not sure I would give it to my late teen kids when the disease is not particularly harmful to them.  I'm not saying it's foolish to get the shot(s) at that age, but I am saying that it's not crazy to avoid the shot(s) in that age group.  It would be a much tougher decision for me if my kids were under 20.

• Like 1

The point about under 20 is good.  I guess a somewhat self serving reason for my daughter getting the shot.  Her school district is waiving all quarantine protocols for vaccinated individuals.  It's a low probability but as a senior it would really suck the balls to get that tap on the shoulder say 5 days before graduation.  Plus she is headed to Texas in the fall and while they don't require it now (obviously) it just makes good sense to have it before heading into that (whatever fall ultimately look like)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, HouTex said:

My daughters (no pics) are 26 and 29.  They have had every vaccine available as have my wife and I.  We are big believers in vaccines.  My wife and I (both 58 years old) both have been vaccinated for covid and my 29 year old is in the healthcare biz and she has been vaccinated.  My 26 year old gets her first shot on Saturday.  But I'm not sure I would give my kids the covid vaccine if they were under 20.  Sure, I get the altruistic motive to help with community spread and it's admirable. 

Comparing flu deaths in Texas with covid deaths in Texas, for people under 20, the seasonal flu is way more dangerous and we never made our daughters get flu shots in high school or college.  For the flu seasons ending the fall of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 the deaths in Texas of persons under 17 is 63, 96, 79 and 82, respectively.  For covid, the persons in Texas that died under age 20 is 49.  See www.dsha.state.tx.us (for pre-covid flu deaths) and https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83 for covid deaths.  Because the gene therapy-based covid vaccines are relatively new in the vaccine world I'm not sure I would give it to my late teen kids when the disease is not particularly harmful to them.  I'm not saying it's foolish to get the shot(s) at that age, but I am saying that it's not crazy to avoid the shot(s) in that age group.  It would be a much tougher decision for me if my kids were under 20.

the vaccines are not gene therapy. They are not going to affect any dna.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The point about under 20 is good.  I guess a somewhat self serving reason for my daughter getting the shot.  Her school district is waiving all quarantine protocols for vaccinated individuals.  It's a low probability but as a senior it would really suck the balls to get that tap on the shoulder say 5 days before graduation.  Plus she is headed to Texas in the fall and while they don't require it now (obviously) it just makes good sense to have it before heading into that (whatever fall ultimately look like)

DC (George Washington) is going to require it and that is the main reason I am trying to get it for my daughter. Figure it takes a month to be fully cleared without any delays so she is close to the prove it date.