COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

But you would assume those people should be fine with the J&J vaccine, right?
If someone is concerned specifically about the long-term effects of MRNA vaccines, then yes, I would assume they'd be OK with the J&J vaccine. I haven't heard as much bitching about the J&J vaccine. Apparently it has its own set of problems if you get vaccinated and then stand under a 5g tower. /s

10 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I'm pro-vaccine and already got Pfizer #1. That said, I have a very hard time judging/faulting people who don't want the MRNA vaccines. We don't have a long history of results with MRNA vaccines to prove that there are no long-term side effects. It's something of a gamble. Who am I to say how someone else should balance all the risks to his/her health?

What is it about the mRNA vaccines that you think may be harmful/hasn’t yet proven not to be harmful?  
The cocktail is several ingredients that are well documented as safe plus one novel ingredient in the mRNA sequence encased in a lipid or something.  Lipids aren’t new or unknown, and neither are little rna strands.  They aren’t going to float around in our blood for years and then suddenly do something toxic. They will break down and degrade just like all the other lipids and mRNA sequences in our system do.  We have over 6 months of data now showing them safe (and effective). What data are you waiting for?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I'm pro-vaccine and already got Pfizer #1. That said, I have a very hard time judging/faulting people who don't want the MRNA vaccines. We don't have a long history of results with MRNA vaccines to prove that there are no long-term side effects. It's something of a gamble. Who am I to say how someone else should balance all the risks to his/her health?

Yeah, but that's not their argument.  If people are scared of mRNA vaccines, they should just get J&J and STFU.  But they don't.  They cast doubt over all the vaccines.  Even one made with older, proven methods.  Folks who do that are anti-vaxxers masquerading as people 'just asking questions'.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What is it about the mRNA vaccines that you think may be harmful/hasn’t yet proven not to be harmful?  
The cocktail is several ingredients that are well documented as safe plus one novel ingredient in the mRNA sequence encased in a lipid or something.  Lipids aren’t new or unknown, and neither are little rna strands.  They aren’t going to float around in our blood for years and then suddenly do something toxic. They will break down and degrade just like all the other lipids and mRNA sequences in our system do.  We have over 6 months of data now showing them safe (and effective). What data are you waiting for?
I don't know, except to say that it's not unheard of, in the course of history, that something everyone presumed and believed to be safe turned out to be unsafe with the benefit of experience. I'll give one example. Ranitidine was sold over the counter for years and was fully tested, understood, and known to be safe.... until we learned that it turns carcinogenic when stored at higher temperatures. Who could have predicted that? If someone takes a "wait and see" approach to MRNA vaccines, I've made a different decision, but I'm not going to fault them for doing what they believe is best for them.

I would add that on the other side, it's not entirely clear that even kids who seem to recover smoothly from Covid don't have long-term, not immediately-apparent effects. They've found "ground glass" lung tissue damage even in asymptomatic cases, then there's the heart inflammation and related issues that sometimes occur. My 14-yr old niece got some shitty genetics and was born with a hole in her heart and also has high blood pressure even though she's super-active and not overweight. She got Covid and I guess I'm the only one in the family who seemed at all concerned about long-term issues ...and they have her running track....

just saying, the balancing seems clear to me that even kids are better off with these proven vaccine mechanisms than risking Covid. 

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I would add that on the other side, it's not entirely clear that even kids who seem to recover smoothly from Covid don't have long-term, not immediately-apparent effects. They've found "ground glass" lung tissue damage even in asymptomatic cases, then there's the heart inflammation and related issues that sometimes occur. My 14-yr old niece got some shitty genetics and was born with a hole in her heart and also has high blood pressure even though she's super-active and not overweight. She got Covid and I guess I'm the only one in the family who seemed at all concerned about long-term issues ...and they have her running track....

just saying, the balancing seems clear to me that even kids are better off with these proven vaccine mechanisms than risking Covid. 

All of this, and then beyond that, the more people that become infected with COVID, the more opportunity the virus has to mutate.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

We don't have a long history of results with MRNA vaccines to prove that there are no long-term side effects.

I'm over 50. My long-term ain't as long as it used to be. It's probably longer than it would have been if I hadn't gotten vaccinated. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

If someone is concerned specifically about the long-term effects of MRNA vaccines, then yes, I would assume they'd be OK with the J&J vaccine. I haven't heard as much bitching about the J&J vaccine. Apparently it has its own set of problems if you get vaccinated and then stand under a 5g tower. /s

Why would they be OK with the J&J vaccine? It also uses mRNA. Only difference is the delivery mechanism.

Looks like PFE's trial of 12-15 year olds is also a bingo. Zero cases in vax arm, 18 in control arm (2260 total participants). EUA in coming weeks. Appears ahead of schedule for roll out to kids. 

My 15 year old is in the study. Draining 119 US dollars from Pfizer every few weeks. Heck of an after school job for no work.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I agree with all of this, which is why I got the shot asap.

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here is where the logic breaks down 

1.  novel vaccine -  we don’t know the long term health effects. 
2. novel virus - we don’t know the long term health effects. 

Why would you choose #2?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is perfect. No one is in the waiting room because the website is a piece of shit 

speaking of which

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/29/covid-vaccine-sites-478233

The federal government has found that Americans prefer vaccination at pharmacies over expensive mega-sites.

The Biden administration is rethinking a costly system of government-run mass vaccination sites after data revealed the program is lagging well behind a much cheaper federal effort to distribute doses via retail pharmacies.

The government has shipped millions of doses to the 21 mass vaccination hubs, or “pilot” community centers, in states such as California, Florida, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts and Texas. The hubs are part of a $4 billion federal system that funds more than 1,000 smaller vaccination locations across the country and provides other vaccination support — such as supplies — to states across the country. The Federal Emergency Management Agency did not respond to repeated questions about how much the pilot sites cost.

Despite the money the federal government has spent on the mass-vaccination pilot sites, they are administering just a fraction of the shots given across the country each day. Federal data show the retail pharmacy program — which has signed up 21 chains and 17,000 stores — can reach far more Americans in a shorter time, according to four senior officials with direct knowledge of the matter. The bottom line, those sources said, is that more Americans seem to be willing to walk to their local pharmacist to get the vaccine than to travel to a federal vaccination site for the shot.

• Haha 1

6 month efficacy and safety date from PFE

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-confirm-high-efficacy-and-no-serious

Analysis of 927 confirmed symptomatic cases of COVID-19 demonstrates BNT162b2 is highly effective with 91.3% vaccine efficacy observed against COVID-19, measured seven days through up to six months after the second dose

Vaccine was 100% effective in preventing severe disease as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and 95.3% effective in preventing severe disease as defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Vaccine was 100% effective in preventing COVID-19 cases in South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent

Vaccine safety now evaluated in more than 44,000 participants 16 years of age and older, with more than 12,000 vaccinated participants having at least six months follow-up after their second dose

The companies plan to share these results with worldwide regulatory agencies soon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just clarify for all the dumbs, mainly me, that’s 6 month efficacy is only because that’s the only data they have so far. It could and should be longer. 

also,  great news on South Africa variant protection. Is there any update on Moderna for variant or efficacy protection?

• Like 1

Also great news coming out that P1 (Brazil variant) appears to be neutralized by vaccines. We got this shit between the crosshairs. Get your shots guys. 

Spoiler: they didn’t get their shots. Given a golden chance to knock this shit out, enough Americans said “nope, can’t tell me what to do, commie!” that COVID remained a fucking problem.

Always bet on stupid. Always.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just clarify for all the dumbs, mainly me, that’s 6 month efficacy is only because that’s the only data they have so far. It could and should be longer. 

also,  great news on South Africa variant protection. Is there any update on Moderna for variant or efficacy protection?

It's all about letting the follow up run out at this point. The guys posting here participating in their trials are getting blood drawn, that will give a good indication of durability moving forward.  Most likely scenario imo, we are looking at annual boosters. But who knows, durability could exceed expectations. These mrna vaccines are the truth. We owe a lot of gratitude to the academics that have been working this shit for a decade+, the gov for funding a lot of the bench research, and the pharmaceutical industry for translating and executing the trials. Bringing world class to the table all around. 

ETA: The SA variant data is based on small N's, so wouldn't take it to the bank.   I see no discernable difference between PFE and MRNA, they both use the same spike. I would expect differences in outcomes to be small if any. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoiler: they didn’t get their shots. Given a golden chance to knock this shit out, enough Americans said “nope, can’t tell me what to do, commie!” that COVID remained a fucking problem.

Now is not the time to be negative. 

There are good things happening. Good things. Feel the flow. Happy place. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

It's all about letting the follow up run out at this point. The guys posting here participating in their trials are getting blood drawn, that will give a good indication of durability moving forward.  Most likely scenario imo, we are looking at annual boosters. But who knows, durability could exceed expectations. These mrna vaccines are the truth. We owe a lot of gratitude to the academics that have been working this shit for a decade+, the gov for funding a lot of the bench research, and the pharmaceutical industry for translating and executing the trials. Bringing world class to the table all around. 

I know the UT part was a small part, but I’m a petty bitch, we should take all the credit we can for mapping the virus. 

I’m actually really excited about what the mRNA vaccines will do for viruses in general. It would make my African sex tours a lot safer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

I know the UT part was a small part, but I’m a petty bitch, we should take all the credit we can for mapping the virus. 

The work at the McClellan lab was pivotal. Stabilizing the conformation of the spike was crucial. His work is core to most of the vaccines. No doubt that there are a lot of other crucial components (nanolipids and shit, not to count even the 5G bandwidth). But all UT grads should feel pretty fucking good that this happened while we had this dude on our faculty. All the groundwork wasn't laid at UT, but fuck it, what happens while on faculty here during a global pandemic changes the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah these mRNA chain vaccines are the future. New vax within weeks or months of mapping  a virus, followed by efficacy trials. 

Yep.  Mentioned a while back up thread.  But if you can get comfortable with the general tech, this is the rapid response pandemic killer moving forward. Totally paradigm changing technology. 

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Image may contain Animal Mammal and Pig

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Viper said:

That's me - I'm refreshing some of the pharmacies in my area, rather than dealing with a mass site/APH's website.

And multiple times today, I had the chance to schedule an appointment at a Walgreens in the Austin area in the next few days, but chose not to because of traffic.  The spots went fast, but if you are refreshing a few times an hour, you will see them.

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

correct:

I am going to get mine tested (antibodies) again at 9 mo. Pfizer is not testing again until 12 mo. mark

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought you guys would be interested in this.  I am in the Moderna trial and had my second dose the 3rd week of September.  Two weeks after my second dose I had a spike protein antibody test done at the lab I work at.  (Euroimmun ELISA test for the qualitative determination of IgG antibodies to the S1 domain of the spike protein, for you medical types.)

A result value greater than 1.09 is positive, below is the reference range.

Back in Oct., two weeks after my second dose, my result value was 8.99, which was flagged as high.  I had the same test done 2 days ago, 6 months after being "fully vaccinated" and my result value is now 6.88, which is still being flagged as high.  It only dropped 2 points in 6 months!  Is that good?  That seems good.   I'm a 43 year old male for reference.

That doesn't even include the T Cells waiting inside the castle to kick some butt if needed.   Yay science!

Interpretation:
Ratio <0.8 Negative
Ratio 0.8-1.09 Borderline
Ratio >1.09 Positive

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Horn_Spanker said:

Just got home from COTA, for the wife.  (teacher, thank you Biden, fuck you Abbott)

Packed house, but fairly efficient. Only negative was a fat girl with her mask around her neck directing traffic in the post-shot waiting area.  

Round trip from 78748 was 2.5 hours.

Just did shot 2.  Holy fuck it was a shit show today.  Four fucking hours!  I hope to never go to that shit hole side of town again!  

Edited by Horn_Spanker

6 hours ago, Borachio said:

I thought you guys would be interested in this.  I am in the Moderna trial and had my second dose the 3rd week of September.  Two weeks after my second dose I had a spike protein antibody test done at the lab I work at.  (Euroimmun ELISA test for the qualitative determination of IgG antibodies to the S1 domain of the spike protein, for you medical types.)

A result value greater than 1.09 is positive, below is the reference range.

Back in Oct., two weeks after my second dose, my result value was 8.99, which was flagged as high.  I had the same test done 2 days ago, 6 months after being "fully vaccinated" and my result value is now 6.88, which is still being flagged as high.  It only dropped 2 points in 6 months!  Is that good?  That seems good.   I'm a 43 year old male for reference.

That doesn't even include the T Cells waiting inside the castle to kick some butt if needed.   Yay science!

Interpretation:
Ratio <0.8 Negative
Ratio 0.8-1.09 Borderline
Ratio >1.09 Positive

Very nice!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 3adays said:

Austin Public Health had 4000 unclaimed appointments last night and they still won’t open up to all groups. 

I logged in with my CVS and Walgreens accounts this norning, just. kept refreshing while watching some TV, and in less than half an hour had an appointment for a pharmacy down the street.  No desire to deal with APH.

We are working remote not from home past 3 days for a change scenery 3+ hours out of Austin

I called every place with 30 mins of our Airbnb, everyone had availability but only 1 would allow non-residents appointments. 

this is fucked. Next time, I’m just paying to cut in line...

Texas is past the 1/3 mark for 1st shots and this weekend will pass 20% fully vaccinated.  We are a week away from the 50-64 age group passing 50% first shots and 26 days away from everyone over 18 passing 50% first shots.  Seniors are at 62% first shots but demand is slowing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 3adays said:

Austin Public Health had 4000 unclaimed appointments last night and they still won’t open up to all groups. 

If only there was a way to text people asking them to Reply 1 if you still need your apt and 2 to cancel it to better manage this. 

22 hours ago, 3adays said:

They need to open it up.  Every day where they inject fewer people than the max they could handle is a chance to give someone a shot you can't get back.

If it was just a few appts in reserve, I wouldn't mind.  But a third of their weekly allocation ... they are just prolonging the epidemic.

• Like 1