COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

16 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

They need to open it up.  Every day where they inject fewer people than the max they could handle is a chance to give someone a shot you can't get back.

If it was just a few appts in reserve, I wouldn't mind.  But a third of their weekly allocation ... they are just prolonging the epidemic.

Agreed but I don't think they've wasted spots yet. The unfilled spots were for next week and they have Monday night to fill them. They better fill them. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Have a friend who got a JNJ shot this week and she felt like ass afterwards.  She had a mild case of covid around Christmas.  Looks like there is no escaping the post-shot symptoms

Yes yes, one anecdote from a friend easily applies to 300+ million Americans.  🙄

I posted that in case anyone was leaning towards JNJ in the hopes of avoiding them.  I haven't seen much info on it since it's only just started to be widely distributed.

That really doesn’t improve your point.

Maybe just roll with this instead of Simone’s story about her shot at 31 Flavors

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/janssen.html

On 4/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, Borachio said:

I thought you guys would be interested in this.  I am in the Moderna trial and had my second dose the 3rd week of September.  Two weeks after my second dose I had a spike protein antibody test done at the lab I work at.  (Euroimmun ELISA test for the qualitative determination of IgG antibodies to the S1 domain of the spike protein, for you medical types.)

A result value greater than 1.09 is positive, below is the reference range.

Back in Oct., two weeks after my second dose, my result value was 8.99, which was flagged as high.  I had the same test done 2 days ago, 6 months after being "fully vaccinated" and my result value is now 6.88, which is still being flagged as high.  It only dropped 2 points in 6 months!  Is that good?  That seems good.   I'm a 43 year old male for reference.

That doesn't even include the T Cells waiting inside the castle to kick some butt if needed.   Yay science!

Interpretation:
Ratio <0.8 Negative
Ratio 0.8-1.09 Borderline
Ratio >1.09 Positive

Have you been unblinded yet?

On 4/2/2021 at 11:27 PM, LABEVO said:

We are working remote not from home past 3 days for a change scenery 3+ hours out of Austin

I called every place with 30 mins of our Airbnb, everyone had availability but only 1 would allow non-residents appointments. 

this is fucked. Next time, I’m just paying to cut in line...

did you look at CVS?  They have no city residency as far as I know.  I live in Dallas and got jabbed in Lubbock and set up 2nd shot back in the DFW area.  

Moderna 6 month data from small sample of Phase 1 participants...

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2103916?query=featured_home

nejmc2103916_f1.jpeg

Although the antibody titers and assays that best correlate with vaccine efficacy are not currently known, antibodies that were elicited by mRNA-1273 persisted through 6 months after the second dose, as detected by three distinct serologic assays. Ongoing studies are monitoring immune responses beyond 6 months as well as determining the effect of a booster dose to extend the duration and breadth of activity against emerging viral variants. Our data show antibody persistence and thus support the use of this vaccine in addressing the Covid-19 pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 2

EMA (European FDA) says that there is a link between AZ vaccine and blood clots, but benefits still outweigh risks. 

ETA: Retract post, ban user. EMA head of vaccines indicates that he sees a clear link, EMA not making a definitive determination yet. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/ema-denies-already-finding-causal-link-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clots

Europe’s drug regulator has denied it has already established a causal connection between the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and a rare blood clotting syndrome, after a senior official from the agency said there was a link.

In a statement to Agence France-Presse, the European Medicines Agency (EMA) said on Tuesday it had “not yet reached a conclusion and the review is currently ongoing”, adding that it expected to announce its findings on Wednesday or Thursday.

Marco Cavaleri, the EMA’s head of vaccines, had earlier told Italy’s Il Messaggero newspaper that in his opinion “we can say it now, it is clear there is a link with the vaccine … But we still do not know what causes this reaction.”

Edited by Anastasis

2nd Moderna shot 4 hours ago in Taylor.    So far so good.

The location in Taylor by appointments, but they are also taking walk-ins as they have about 100 extra shots a day for the next 2 days.  They are doing first and second shots.  I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

If anyone wants to head to Taylor, just reply to this post and I will go find that address and post it.   

Holy shit y'all gotta tone down the antivaxx in here, it's starting to smell like aggy in this thread. 

https://time.com/5952532/vaccine-passport-history/

Vaccine passports were critical to the successful containment and eradication of smallpox in the US, but sure, nazis I guess?

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Ana - human nature requires us to create an exclusive club so the trendies will rush get the vaccine and obviate the need for said passport. Everything is a market.

That's one way to approach demand creation. There are others of course. 

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

DF5A7B96-5CFD-4644-89F0-08311492C274.jpeg

Of all people, I'd expect someone who lived through that to understand why it's a garbage comparison.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That we are even talking about "passports" is so fucking wrong headed. It's unsurprising that the gravity of our political dysfunction is pulling us into this orbit. 

Yeah, pretty astounding messaging fail. It's one thing at the onset to say "FYI, not sure about asymptomatic transmission yet so that's something we are going to have to watch for. Proceed with appropriate caution." And entirely another to actively downplay the impact of vaccines on individual and collective risk profiles, long after a relatively clear picture emerged. That appears to be changing now, but slowly and probably too late to get some on board.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Doesn’t help when a large group of people are happy to say both that the cdc is full of shit AND that the cdc guidelines prove that the vaccine is full of shit.  You can’t win for losing with these people. 

Would help if the CDC wasn’t totally full of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Would help if the CDC wasn’t totally full of shit. 

Right, but either way people need to treat them the same. If you think they’re full of shit then you can’t decide the vaccine is useless just because they say to keep masking and distancing even after getting vaccinated.   Your position should be that the cdc is full of shit. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I apologize because I'm sure it's been discussed....

My Pfizer shot #1 finally came through last week for this coming Thursday at 1030a. I have plans to go to my lease and run a tractor with a disc on back of it for 3 or 4 hours. From what I hear I may feel like shit.

So it will be about 48 hours after. Thoughts?

Edit: asking if those who have gone through it would be fine being outdoors and not in the cold sweats in bed.

13 minutes ago, markstanco said:

My Pfizer shot #1 finally came through last week for this coming Thursday at 1030a. I have plans to go to my lease and run a tractor with a disc on back of it for 3 or 4 hours. From what I hear I may feel like shit.

Edit: asking if those who have gone through it would be fine being outdoors and not in the cold sweats in bed.

Test stuff (so the real science) says most side effects are typical 24-72 hours from vaccine.  Now anecdotal here so take with the appropriate grain of salt but including myself most people who I know that had any side effects that may have lead them to not wanting to do what you are planning to do popped up the day AFTER getting the vaccine and were gone when they woke up the next morning (ie between 24 and 48 hours). Also a lot of peeps I know were worse with second shot. I had same symptoms after both (tired/sleepy feeliing most of the next day along with cold/chills...though not really body racking chills just a feeling of being cold that was annoying for about 8-10 hours that same day after my shots).  I worked all that day so it wasn't terrible but I probably wouldn't have wanted to be out doing anything physical. 

Also keep in mind the sore arm is a symptom from a science perspective and that is one thing most I have known said lasted 2-4 days, but nobody seems to have said it was that awful where it would halt your plans.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Prepare your anus.

15 minutes ago, markstanco said:

godfather-man-o.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I think it’s likely that you’re fine to do it after shot one. Shot 2 might be pushing it. Have you been diagnosed with covid before? That may play a role as well.

For me, I was pretty fucked up from hours 12 to 16 after the second shot. I didn’t feel great from hours 16 to 36, but well enough to easily do what you’re talking about.

I think it’s likely that you’re fine to do it after shot one. Shot 2 might be pushing it. Have you been diagnosed with covid before? That may play a role as well.
For me, I was pretty fucked up from hours 12 to 16 after the second shot. I didn’t feel great from hours 16 to 36, but well enough to easily do what you’re talking about.
No, all good. Don't think I have had covid. Tested twice in the last year when feeling shitty.

7 minutes ago, lmao said:

Is there a thread for discussing the digital vaccine passports? The amount of privacy, security, practicality of them even being implemented correctly, etc., concerns is almost too long to list.

That thread is literally right next to this one.  You don't even have to use search.