COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was having lunch yesterday when a friend messaged that UT health was giving out vaccines to walk ins.  Said it loud enough for our waitress to hear, and she was excited - said she was heading over as soon as her shift ended.

Get the word out, wherever you can, when you know they are available for walk-ins.

bluesbrothersbluesmobil.769.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This is bullshit. To enter the USA you have to either prove that you tested negative within the past three days or recovered from the disease within the past 90 days. Why the fuck is “vaccinated” not part of the fucking criteria?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, XYZ said:

This is bullshit. To enter the USA you have to either prove that you tested negative within the past three days or recovered from the disease within the past 90 days. Why the fuck is “vaccinated” not part of the fucking criteria?

Yeah....they're gonna need to fix that shit.

That’s stupid.

44 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Because even if you're vaccinated, your fruits, vegetables, and currency may not be.  We are an advanced nation.  You can bring the virus here all you want, but I'll be dammed if somebody is gonna compete with my loquat tree.  NoCR/ because, our CBP has been beyond incompetent for decades across all party lines.  

Edited by Lobo

52 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Depends on where you enter.

That's what your mom said.

Cracking up at the people now deflecting not getting the vaccine with, "Well, I only want to get one shot.  So until the J&J thing blows over, I'm not gonna get it quite yet."

"Look, I'll storm the Michigan Capitol to fight for my right to leave my home to buy crafts and wares at Hobby Lobby, dine at Chili's, and attend my kid's unmasked traveling basketball tournament games.  But I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna be bothered to leave my house for 15 minutes to get my second Pfizer shot at CVS.  I thought this was 'Murica dammit!"  

On 3/24/2021 at 2:14 PM, Anastasis said:

So UT promoted the guy who's lab made many of these vaccines possible to full professor.  

That's like my days in grad school (MechE) . . . the guy in the office next to me invented 3D printing.  Suddenly his PhD got fast-tracked.  I didn't read his dissertation, but it probably could have been about 20 pages long and sailed through committee.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I was that guy, my dissertation would just be 50 pages of the Covid-19 imaging blown-up with me super-imposed next to it with the caption, "Suck it, bitches!  Where my grant at?"  

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

If I was that guy, my dissertation would just be 50 pages of the Covid-19 imaging blown-up with me super-imposed next to it with the caption, "Suck it, bitches!  Where my grant at?"  

That's probably the principal content of his Nobel prize nomination packet. 

6 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Speaking of Nobel prize, Dr. Kariko and Dr. Weissman should be shoo-ins for the 2022 Nobel in medicine.

The whole mRNA vaccine development story is a really good one. Convergence of decades of research and planning from multiple disciplines. Line 'em all up for medals. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, XYZ said:

It's a feel good requirement and it's clear our government does not actually believe in science. 

Edited by midtown

10 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

so Benchmark (Pfizer vaccine study) calls me yesterday and asks if I would be interested in participating in the "booster study". They were looking for 20 of their original vaccine study subjects that fall in a timeline of (longer than 5 months and shorter than 7 months) since receiving the second dose of vaccine. 10 of the 20 needing to be over the age of 56  10 under the the of 56. I'm over that age and at 6 mo and 3 weeks since vaccine. They give a blind dose of either 5mcg or 10mcg to each person and then start checking antibodies at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months and 18 months. I just got home from their clinic, where I got swabbed, blood drawn and a booster vaccine (stuck at 10:00)......

Bill Gates OS 2.0

On 4/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, gmr548 said:

In general agreed, but you have to account for the time to takes to A.) Get us from the 50 percent or so we’re at to the two thirds or so that are reasonably likely to get the shot, and B.) Get people to fully vaccinated and let those shots vaccine fully protective.

I have to admit I was wrong. A couple folks like BradinATX, SnakeDiggity, etc. long ago called out Memorial Day as the point at which a significant majority of adults would be fully vaccinated and life would be looking functionally normal. I thought that was a little bullish but it’s looking correct. Things like mask requirements and capacity limits will remain in place in select jurisdictions or from certain companies past that point, but it’s hard to imagine the public not collectively deciding this is over this summer.

Absolutely agreed the media has gone bananas with the negative coverage. I mean it’s one thing to add a healthy dose of “well, XYZ could also happen too, so be aware of that” but some of the reporting surrounding the vaccine has been borderline irresponsible.

speaking of negative media coverage

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Hpara759 said:

so Benchmark (Pfizer vaccine study) calls me yesterday and asks if I would be interested in participating in the "booster study". They were looking for 20 of their original vaccine study subjects that fall in a timeline of (longer than 5 months and shorter than 7 months) since receiving the second dose of vaccine. 10 of the 20 needing to be over the age of 56  10 under the the of 56. I'm over that age and at 6 mo and 3 weeks since vaccine. They give a blind dose of either 5mcg or 10mcg to each person and then start checking antibodies at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months and 18 months. I just got home from their clinic, where I got swabbed, blood drawn and a booster vaccine (stuck at 10:00)......

Lando Calrissian Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Entrust Immediate Care on Memorial Dr. across from the Black Walnut had a popup tent offering free no appointment vaccines this morning. They have been doing it since Wednesday. I’m guessing there are locations all over town and I assume other clinics are doing the same. There was no line at 9:00 this morning.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That's like my days in grad school (MechE) . . . the guy in the office next to me invented 3D printing.  Suddenly his PhD got fast-tracked.  I didn't read his dissertation, but it probably could have been about 20 pages long and sailed through committee.

Carl. I may or may not have been with Carl when he first got high on ‘shrooms.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Good decision by the CDC, but the damage is done.

Yeah, the presented some data today on the impact of the hold on vaccine intentions.  Was not good. The only single dose regimen is tainted, but they were boxed in. Can't really fault the fda/cdc here imo. Damned if you do damned if you don't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, the presented some data today on the impact of the hold on vaccine intentions.  Was not good. The only single dose regimen is tainted, but they were boxed in. Can't really fault the fda/cdc here imo. Damned if you do damned if you don't. 

Yeah they really fucked that up.   I think JNJ should clearly look to third world countries to put their supply.  Facebook Karens and the media have destroyed the JNJ I'm afraid.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

CDC lifts pause on JNJ vaccine 10-4-1 vote.  No age or sex restrictions.  

I thought the NCAA got rid of ties.  looks like a top 25 team though.

seriously though 4 "science" guys voted against this?  how can it be settled.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, Anastasis said:

The whole mRNA vaccine development story is a really good one. Convergence of decades of research and planning from multiple disciplines. Line 'em all up for medals. 

Had my annual physical on Thursday and had a nice chat with my doctor about the vaccines. He was visibly excited about this mRNA technology and what it could mean for the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Carl. I may or may not have been with Carl when he first got high on ‘shrooms.

Yup, Carl.  About the most unlikely PhD in UT engineering history.  We started our masters degrees at the same time.  He went . . . farther.

Carl and Dr. Joe Beaman (the smartest man I've ever met):

Carl R. Deckard and Dr. Joe Beaman with one of the first SLS devices. Photo via Ralph Barrera.

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m kind of surprised the major health insurance carriers haven’t had customers/groups sign some sort of acknowledgement that if they choose to not get the vaccine and then get covid they are not covered.  Or some way of indemnifying themselves for a person’s decision to not take the free and easy way to protect themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

People need an incentive to get the shot at this point.  It would have been nice to give vaccination bonuses as part of the last stimulus, but that ship has sailed.

Maybe local businesses could offer "welcome back" specials to folks that could present a fully vaccinated card.  Like a free appitizer or 10% off your tab or something, if everyone in your party could show a card.  It would get people back in places and maybe push some folks into getting the shot.

People might be able to hold out for a while but they will be challenged to maintain that position when they see their friends getting free stuff.

Edited by Texas Jeff

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

People need an incentive to get the shot at this point.  It would have been nice to give vaccination bonuses as part of the last stimulus, but that ship has sailed.

Maybe local businesses could offer "welcome back" specials to folks that could present a fully vaccinated card.  Like a free appitizer or 10% off your tab or something, if everyone in your party could show a card.  It would get people back in places and maybe push some folks into getting the shot.

People might be able to hold out for a while but they will be challenged to maintain that position when they see their friends getting free stuff.

Company I started at this week just rolled out separate PTO to get and recover from the vaccine, along with a PTO refund for those that already used some to get it and retroactive pay for any that had to take unpaid time to do it. 
No mention of proof, so hopefully my new coworkers are all professionals and will only use it to get the shots. 

• Hook 'Em 1