COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

So after refusing to get vaccinated this entire time, my 76 year old mom calls me from the hospital in Austin after needing to be EMS'd from her home in Plugerville. 

She tested positive for Covid, of course, and my 82 year old dad is at home.  He doesn't use technology much at all and is struggling to answer my phone call.

I finally get talking to him and we convince him to go get tested at Walgreens, but he reports back they aren't testing.

We got him to go to the Public Health testing site in downtown P-ville, so we're waiting to hear back.

My mom reports she had started feeling bad on Friday and today she was too weak to get from her bed to her bathroom.

I spoke to her on the phone for an hour on Saturday night and she didn't once bring up that she was feeling bad.  

I could hear her shame over the phone when she admitted to testing positive, because I had asked on multiple occasions for them to get their shots.

So for now my mom is stable at the hospital and being admitted today.

I'm in Houston, vaxxed up, but i'm high risk, so i'm not sure how I should help out.

Hopefully, he can get tested and isn't positive, but I'm sure spending last 5 days with her that's unlikely.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Pablo said:

So after refusing to get vaccinated this entire time, my 76 year old mom calls me from the hospital in Austin after needing to be EMS'd from her home in Plugerville. 

She tested positive for Covid, of course, and my 82 year old dad is at home.  He doesn't use technology much at all and is struggling to answer my phone call.

I finally get talking to him and we convince him to go get tested at Walgreens, but he reports back they aren't testing.

We got him to go to the Public Health testing site in downtown P-ville, so we're waiting to hear back.

My mom reports she had started feeling bad on Friday and today she was too weak to get from her bed to her bathroom.

I spoke to her on the phone for an hour on Saturday night and she didn't once bring up that she was feeling bad.  

I could hear her shame over the phone when she admitted to testing positive, because I had asked on multiple occasions for them to get their shots.

So for now my mom is stable at the hospital and being admitted today.

I'm in Houston, vaxxed up, but i'm high risk, so i'm not sure how I should help out.

Hopefully, he can get tested and isn't positive, but I'm sure spending last 5 days with her that's unlikely.

All my best to you and your parents. Both of mine (83 & 79 yo) caught it around Thanksgiving, and one didn't make it. Once she gets in the hospital, you may not be able to see her anyway (I couldn't) and you won't be able to do anything for her anyway. The best you could do is help your dad out if he needs any support, but wait to see if he comes back positive first.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Update:  Mom is a symptomatic and should get released today to go home and quarantine.  Dad isn’t great with modern technology so he tried to go get tested at Walgreens but the one he went to wasn’t a test site.  He went back home.  I’ve got my cousin checking on him, so I’ll get an update later this morning. 

So I come to find out that the instructor of the summer camp my kid will attend for 3 weeks starting next week -- has declined to get vaxxed. My kid has been in his karate program for years and we always knew he's kind of Trumpy. But that's total bullshit. Running a camp with kids too young to get the shot and you're letting yourself be a vector? Unsurprisingly, I've never seen him wear a mask either, despite talking up distancing, safety, and shit. Guess I should talk to him about what safety measures he's doing but it's pretty much too late to try to talk some sense into him. And this is a guy who's damned near lost his business due to the pandemic. And lives with his super-high risk mother (oh she's too high risk to get the shot! Hurr durr).

JFC. And my son will need a negative Covid test for us to go on our vacation right after those 3 weeks so I'm kinda pissed. 

8 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So I come to find out that the instructor of the summer camp my kid will attend for 3 weeks starting next week -- has declined to get vaxxed. My kid has been in his karate program for years and we always knew he's kind of Trumpy. But that's total bullshit. Running a camp with kids too young to get the shot and you're letting yourself be a vector? Unsurprisingly, I've never seen him wear a mask either, despite talking up distancing, safety, and shit. Guess I should talk to him about what safety measures he's doing but it's pretty much too late to try to talk some sense into him. And this is a guy who's damned near lost his business due to the pandemic. And lives with his super-high risk mother (oh she's too high risk to get the shot! Hurr durr).

JFC. And my son will need a negative Covid test for us to go on our vacation right after those 3 weeks so I'm kinda pissed. 

Hey man, freedom isn't free

• Haha 2

You know you can pull your kid from the camp, right?
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Sure -- I can have his ass sit home all day long while we try to work and he has nothing to do but video games and numbs his mind and body even more than he already has done for the last year. Or we can take the risk. It's not a great position to be in. He needs some summer fun and activity badly.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Sure -- I can have his ass sit home all day long while we try to work and he has nothing to do but video games and numbs his mind and body even more than he already has done for the last year. Or we can take the risk. It's not a great position to be in. He needs some summer fun and activity badly.

You're the parent.  If you truly view the camp as a risk, don't send him.  It's pretty simple.  Clearly you don't really feel that strongly about it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Update: Mom and Dad are both in the hospital now, both positive for Covid.  I drove up to Austin on Friday afternoon, arrived home and couldn't wake up my Dad, nor would he answer his phone.  I was able to set off the home alarm and he came to the front door, very disoriented and not answering my loud and clear questions.  I ended up calling 911 and getting the amberlamps for him. Pflugerville Paramedic can suck my dick, what an asshole.  After all this stress and anxiety, both are doing well in the hospital, in the covid wing, across the hall from one another.   I feel like I might've made a life and death decision yesterday with my dad, glad he's being cared for.  

Glad to hear this relatively good news, you did the right thing, best wishes for both your folks!

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Update: Mom and Dad are both in the hospital now, both positive for Covid.  I drove up to Austin on Friday afternoon, arrived home and couldn't wake up my Dad, nor would he answer his phone.  I was able to set off the home alarm and he came to the front door, very disoriented and not answering my loud and clear questions.  I ended up calling 911 and getting the amberlamps for him. Pflugerville Paramedic can suck my dick, what an asshole.  After all this stress and anxiety, both are doing well in the hospital, in the covid wing, across the hall from one another.   I feel like I might've made a life and death decision yesterday with my dad, glad he's being cared for.  

Pflugerville paramedics are on edge from all the calls from Derka when Rick Barnes loses.

Seriously, glad you were able to make it in time for him and that they seem to be doing well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

More than 13,000,000 Texans have now helped stop COVID by getting at least first shot.

Even with the slowdown, people choosing to get a first shot are still outnumbering newly diagnosed cases about 18:1.

I think that's all you can ask for at this point. Just keep having more shots than cases for as long as possible. 

Where is a good Covid vaccine dashboard?  I would like to see the stats on Texas and the USA and am having difficulty with the Google.  What percent of eligible people have gotten it?

And has there been any more recent polls on vaccine hesitancy?  I would hope it has continued to drop.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:25 AM, 4th&Five said:

You might want to start it 5 weeks before school starts if you want him fully vaxxed by then. 

That's the plan.  Will probably get him the shot once he gets back from camp and before we hit the mountains for the rest of the summer.

my 13yo got his 2nd dose on Friday.  had a mild fever and the sweats early Sat morning and a little bit sluggish through Sunday afternoon but nothing really to write home about.  This was similar to some of his buddies who got their 2nd around the same time.   Glad it's done and now waiting to see results from the next age group down so the 11yo can possibly get it

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Where is a good Covid vaccine dashboard?  I would like to see the stats on Texas and the USA and am having difficulty with the Google.  What percent of eligible people have gotten it?

And has there been any more recent polls on vaccine hesitancy?  I would hope it has continued to drop.

NY Times has a good one

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Stats for countries and individual US states.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

https://sph.uth.edu/dept/bads/covid19-dashboard

You can adjust the vaccinated % by 16 and up or 0 and up.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

my 13yo got his 2nd dose on Friday.  had a mild fever and the sweats early Sat morning and a little bit sluggish through Sunday afternoon but nothing really to write home about.  This was similar to some of his buddies who got their 2nd around the same time.   Glad it's done and now waiting to see results from the next age group down so the 11yo can possibly get it

Same with my boys. Got it Friday morning, pretty much normal on Friday but then basically slept until 5 pm Saturday.  All good by Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hmm. interesting. son got the first shot.  I'm almost thinking he should hold on the 2nd.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/health/myocarditis-covid-vaccination-link-clearer/index.html

Medical groups, such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Heart Association say even if there is a very small risk of getting myocarditis after vaccination, it is heavily outweighed by the risk of complications from Covid-19.

there's your answer.

Edit to add - the incidence of myocarditis in Israel of vaccinated patients 16-19 years old is actually lower than the incidence of myocarditis in the general population for that age group. 

image.thumb.png.768af366a8a3acf86c15da329f629d6f.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5721735/

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hmm. interesting. son got the first shot.  I'm almost thinking he should hold on the 2nd.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/health/myocarditis-covid-vaccination-link-clearer/index.html

B.1.617.2/Delta/India variant is accelerating our planned timeline for vaxxing my 12yo daughter. We were going to do early August, but we are moving that forward (tomorrow). Will be another assessment in 3 weeks to determine what we do with timing of second dose, but there are a number of dynamic factors at play. 

If you are an eligible adult, esp age 18-50, get your mRNA vax ASAP, imo. Stop being a fucking dip shit, jump on the team, and come in for the big win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

B.1.617.2/Delta/India variant is accelerating our planned timeline for vaxxing my 12yo daughter. We were going to do early August, but we are moving that forward (tomorrow). Will be another assessment in 3 weeks to determine what we do with timing of second dose, but there are a number of dynamic factors at play. 

If you are an eligible adult, esp age 18-50, get your mRNA vax ASAP, imo. Stop being a fucking dip shit, jump on the team, and come in for the big win. 

4af3c0607864e1e280215cbafb98077e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, The Dog said:

there's your answer.

Edit to add - the incidence of myocarditis in Israel of vaccinated patients 16-19 years old is actually lower than the incidence of myocarditis in the general population for that age group. 

image.thumb.png.768af366a8a3acf86c15da329f629d6f.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5721735/

yeah.  I'm talking about the second dose.  they are specifically talking about males 18-30.

Edited by dcar00

I track vaccine data for Texas, but I use projected 2021 population data rather than the 2019 data used by the state.

At my higher population numbers, today is a big day for Texas -- 50.01% of the eligible population now has a first shot.  Halfway there... Travis County is a day or two away from two-thirds of the eligible population having a first shot.

The number of first shot vaccinations per day has stabilized.  There was a bump mid-May when the 12-15 group became eligible but since then it's been pretty flat, around 40k per day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 4:33 PM, Message Board User said:

Oh.  My.  Goodness.

I like how she ends the presentation with ‘any questions’?   
I have one.  And the answer is rather obvious. 

I track vaccine data for Texas, but I use projected 2021 population data rather than the 2019 data used by the state.
At my higher population numbers, today is a big day for Texas -- 50.01% of the eligible population now has a first shot.  Halfway there... Travis County is a day or two away from two-thirds of the eligible population having a first shot.
The number of first shot vaccinations per day has stabilized.  There was a bump mid-May when the 12-15 group became eligible but since then it's been pretty flat, around 40k per day.

d4d70397476763f7171c91c7615eba49.jpg

Reminder -- get BOTH doses.

We know a family of three -- mom and older son got the shot.....but only the first one, then didn't bother to go back for the second.  Mom went overseas, brought back a raging case of COVID, gave it to the older son.....and the younger son, who just became eligible when pfizer went to age 12, and was due to get his first shot THIS week.  So, the unvaccinated young son got it, but so did mom and older brother, who only had the first shot.

Yes, they were stupid and careless.