COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Doubt it. People believe what they want to believe and discount what they don’t. 

If covid vaccination isn’t proof of that, here’s some science that should be very important to pregnant women.  But it’s not. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10706945/

The present study shows that oral sex and swallowing sperm is correlated with a diminished occurrence of preeclampsia which fits in the existing idea that a paternal factor is involved in the occurrence of preeclampsia

xto6ks.gif

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Is he unvaccinated?

Yep.  Never would go.  He isnt even very political.   I would say a fourth of the people on the office refuse to get it

oh and half who are vaccinated  drove around looking for JJ even though the other vaccines were readily available. All because one of them “research the issue” and found JJ was the least likely to give you “the cancer” five years from now. one fucking took a day off to drive from clear lake to nola  

The entire thing is so confusing.  

Edited by Xian
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
30 minutes ago, Xian said:

One of my employee’s kid and wife got it from that. All unvaccinated. Fucker came to work and said he was late due to having to take care of sick family members. WTF.   Told him to GTF out.

Yeah, even in an era of unprecedented stupidity in this nation, I would never dream that a "normal" adult would come into the office late (with many people knowing he and his family were unvaccinated) with the excuse, "Sorry, I was taking care of sick family members (plural)."  Maybe, maybe...you could slide in with a "sorry, one of my kids isn't feeling well but they're not covid symptoms." 

But who the fuck opens with "...sick family members, but hey I brought breakfast tacos---and I took each one out of the foil to make sure the fillings match the stickers on the outside.  'Cause I know you hate when they sub sausage for chorizo, right boss?  High five, up top!"  

Edited by Lobo

24 minutes ago, Xian said:

Yep.  Never would go.  He isnt even very political.   I would say a fourth of the people on the office refuse to get it

oh and half who are vaccinated  drove around looking for JJ even though the other vaccines were readily available. All because one of them “research the issue” and found JJ was the least likely to give you “the cancer” five years from now. one fucking took a day off to drive from clear lake to nola  

Why do you care which shot they got?  At least they did it.

Some people got Pfizer because they thought Moderna side effects were worse.  Some people heard the opposite and wouldn't touch Pfizer.  Some people got J&J because they didn't like needles or didn't want to risk the side effects twice when they only needed to do it once.  "The Science" told us just get vaccinated.  Any of the three would suffice.

Save your scorn for idiots like the first guy and his family who didn't do anything at all.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Some people got Pfizer because they thought Moderna side effects were worse.  Some people heard the opposite and wouldn't touch Pfizer.  Some people got J&J because they didn't like needles or didn't want to risk the side effects twice when they only needed to do it once.  "The Science" told us just get vaccinated.  Any of the three would suffice.

Save your scorn for idiots like the first guy and his family who didn't do anything at all.

I wouldnt call it scorn, just confusion. They delayed their vaccination by over a month due to garbage info. 

but like you said, at least they have it

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xian said:

It’s not confusing. It can be summed up with 3 words:  “people are stupid”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Xian said:

One of my employee’s kid and wife got it from that. All unvaccinated. Fucker came to work and said he was late due to having to take care of sick family members. WTF.   Told him to GTF out.

*facepalm*

We had 1 or 2 similar events here, all pre-vaccine. We were doing testing probably 8-10 times a week on avg anytime someone had a sniffle. Don’t think we’ve done more than 2 in the past couple months. Has been a nice return to normalcy. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just was told by a friend who was here on the 4th his buddy has COVID and both have been vaccinated. I am proud P-2 so not worried, but another person I know who has been vaccinated and still got COVID. Don't know what variant yet, trying to find out. 

I’m up to four people I know very well that have tested positive after being vaccinated for months

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I’m up to four people I know very well that have tested positive after being vaccinated for months

We’ve gone back to wearing masks in grocery stores and the like.  Still only a mild inconvenience and hopefully helps reduce chances of infection of delta. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We’ve gone back to wearing masks in grocery stores and the like.  Still only a mild inconvenience and hopefully helps reduce chances of infection of delta. 

Yeah, same with me and the GF. Reformed our bubble. Not as cautious as before, but staying away from people for sure. 

Guest Lobo
On 7/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, StruggleBus said:

Meh. They've said the exact same things about every variant of concern so far. None of them seem to be that concerning. 

Wanted to come back to this and say, I still agree with you about the variant hyperbole.  

However, some expert at the U.N., guy surnamed "U.N." Jefferson, says that the Lambda is still a formidable force and getting stronger as it spreads from Africa to more Caucasian-populated areas.  Of course Harris continues to say the Alpha and Beta variants are still top dogs, but Lambda is a joke that needs all the media coverage to cease.  And that other WHO hack, Takashi, naturally disagrees.  And then there's America, acting like an Ogre in all of this like it's some kinda excuse to drink fireballs and belch like theres no tomorrow.  But we gotta get our shit together.  Soon there'll be a Pi variant (if my greek alphabet is correct), and we'll have to go do it on the moon to avoid that strain.  

All I know is when this bullshit about Beta and Lambda variants is finally put to rest by some objective council...I'm heading to Paradise.  You'll find me shoulder to shoulder with babes and beers in Fort Lauderdale! 

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I got the JJ because that's what was available the soonest. Fwiw an older guy at my work got really sick after his second Moderna shit. He's been there for 20+ years and never calls out but he was gone for an entire week. Definitely was an excuse for a few people not to get vaxxed. 

42 minutes ago, lmao said:

I got the JJ because that's what was available the soonest. Fwiw an older guy at my work got really sick after his second Moderna shit. He's been there for 20+ years and never calls out but he was gone for an entire week. Definitely was an excuse for a few people not to get vaxxed. 

Well, there’s the problem.  Surprised it took 2 shits. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2021 at 8:57 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

took the shot the day after employer announced masks would no longer be necessary, if vaccinated.

I don't wear the mask, but my awareness about not touching shit and never rubbing my eyes or even eating stuff when I get to my car/ touching my mouth is very heightened. I still use the hand sanitizer out in public  pretty damned freely.

All I know is I haven't been sick since Feb of 2020.  I'd love for that to continue.

9 hours ago, MoJames said:

My wife is from Lafayette and has some mutual friends with this person apparently. she was telling me about it last night. Lafayette is a great town in a lot of ways but there’s a large contingent backwards thinking, “as long as we do our rosary and Hail Marys  we’re good” types as well. All of my in laws are vaxxed but apparently less than 40% of eligible adults are vaccinated there. Shocking for a university city. Be careful if you invite any to your tailgates in August. 

17 minutes ago, MoJames said:
8 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Now the hospital is saying it may not be Covid. Sounds PR-ish

That can't be right or the hospital is completely ignoring HIPPA.

I dunno but I would probably hold off a little on the demonization. It's possible she got the J&J shot since she was only against manipulating her dna or whatever, but the article I read said she died from a neurological issue after having seizures. Has anyone heard of covid causing those types of symptoms? Basically, it's not for sure she wasn't vaccinated even though she was spreading anti-mrna vaccine nonsense, and she may have died from something other than covid, or possibly exacerbated by covid.

Just now, Viper said:

I dunno but I would probably hold off a little on the demonization. It's possible she got the J&J shot since she was only against manipulating her dna or whatever, but the article I read said she died from a neurological issue after having seizures. Has anyone heard of covid causing those types of symptoms? Basically, it's not for sure she wasn't vaccinated even though she was spreading anti-mrna vaccine nonsense, and she may have died from something other than covid, or possibly exacerbated by covid.

Wife said she had some pre existing condition that were exasperated by covid.

Many nurses, for some reason, are avoiding the shots. My father is in the hospital quite often battling the last stages of Parkinson’s and just old age and last week when he was there the folks at Methodist Hospital said that the Memorial system has around 130 nurses that can’t come to work because they wouldn’t get the shot. They were incredibly short staffed.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

That's a bit of a stretch

Yeah, it's not like the presence of a college makes Lafayette some enlightened enclave in the middle of Cajun country.  I have friends in the area and have been there several times, and the less-than-40% number doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

But, but but they get extra money for counting Covid deaths, so they are being over counted (typing this as I put on my tinfoil cap, to block the 5G signs to the chip lodged in my brain)

I was at a bar last night and this guy next to me worked for the FBI. He was repeated this as well and said he had two or three nurse friends tell him this. He said that each new positive test was being counted as a new infection.

Many nurses, for some reason, are avoiding the shots. My father is in the hospital quite often battling the last stages of Parkinson’s and just old age and last week when he was there the folks at Methodist Hospital said that the Memorial system has around 130 nurses that can’t come to work because they wouldn’t get the shot. They were incredibly short staffed.
And for some reason we've annoited nurses as medical experts. It's a bachelor's at best that about everyone could aquire with a few extra science courses. Many nurses are vocational and just finished their shift at Hooters. Not that there is anything wrong with that but let's stop pretending nurses are in any way qualified to give advice on all but about 25% of what they are trained to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With some of the vaccinated population now getting infected, there could be some interesting things to investigate. How much natural immunity do you acquire if you had an infection that was dampened by vaccination? Would you acquire significant T cell mediated immunity in addition to the vaxxed/natural B cell immunity?

We might have a new cohort of vaccinated people that got infected, but pass on the boosters.

• Fuck You 1

RE: 6-11 yo vax; lazy googling did not turn up much other than 'vax makers may submit emergency auth request in Sept or Oct' 

Is there a more definitive plan?  This probably puts vax available for that age group at Dec or so.  Earlier on, it seemed like 6-11 would follow right on the heels of the 12 and up group, but does not look like the case now.  

3 hours ago, Viper said:

This is enough for me to demonize her.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

RE: 6-11 yo vax; lazy googling did not turn up much other than 'vax makers may submit emergency auth request in Sept or Oct' 

Is there a more definitive plan?  This probably puts vax available for that age group at Dec or so.  Earlier on, it seemed like 6-11 would follow right on the heels of the 12 and up group, but does not look like the case now.  

It's not necessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I would submit, unsurprisingly, that there’s no justification for an EUA in that age group given their age, the lack of severity of their disease, and the low community levels of Covid. It should go through standard BLA approval which can take months longer. 

Long story short, this is no longer an emergency so no need to rush these approvals especially for children. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

tend to agree, but youngest just turned 11, so right at the cutoff now.  early next year we are looking to travel overseas and there are (or at least were; have not checked in a while) still vax requirements for entry.  we cancelled a big fam trip to Europe that we are looking to rebook.  would much rather just have the whole fam unit vaxed up.