COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

9 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

That RSV going around is no joke, it damn near put my daughter in the hospital with pneumonia. She’s only 4 and obviously that’s different than your 18 old, but still you want to stay in front of it if you can. 

Yeah it went through my house in the last 2-3 weeks. My wife has a reactive airway & for her it turned into bad bronchitis. She's almost over it now, been fighting it for over two weeks. Knocked her on her ass. I was lucky, it made me feel like shit for about 3 days, but that was it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

FAA should mandate vaccines for all customer facing employees of airlines.  And require vaccinations for the public to fly.  

I'm done with the carrot.  Too many fucking stupid people in this country have shown us that the carrot doesn't work for ~40% of the country.  It's time for the stick.  No vaccine, no flying.  No vaccine, no movies.  No vaccine, no gyms or restaurants.

This is it. 

It's long past the time to make it so inconvenient and boring for the holdouts that they have to give in just so they can start living their lives again. I'll add no sports events, no concerts (as ACL Live just announced), no malls, no school ... no fun at all, & make day to day necessities difficult as fuck.

Fuck everyone who's not stepping up and doing what's right.

The only thing, as I understand it, that's preventing us from enforcing that right now is that the vaccines don't have a full, normal FHA approval ... and that once that happens, it's on. Is that about right, or did I hear wrong.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wood said:

This is it. 

It's long past the time to make it so inconvenient and boring for the holdouts that they have to give in just so they can start living their lives again. I'll add no sports events, no concerts (as ACL Live just announced), no malls, no school ... no fun at all, & make day to day necessities difficult as fuck.

The only thing, as I understand it, that's preventing us from enforcing that right now is that the vaccines don't have a full, normal FHA approval ... and that once that happens, it's on. Is that about right, or did I hear wrong.

You all think it is okay to ask everyone going to a restaurant, grocery, sporting event, movie theater, hospital, airlines, mall, government office, school, bus, train or business for an ID stating that they have been vaccinated? So basically multiple times a day a person needs to show his ID. I guess the person could put it on a lanyard to make it easier or tattoo it on his arm. What could go wrong? I'm down with this plan. Let's do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

You all think it is okay to ask everyone going to a restaurant, grocery, sporting event, movie theater, hospital, airlines, mall, government office, school, bus, train or business for an ID stating that they have been vaccinated? So basically multiple times a day a person needs to show his ID. I guess the person could put it on a lanyard to make it easier or tattoo it on his arm. What could go wrong? I'm down with this plan. Let's do it.
Yes. Because that's the only way to get most of these fucksticks vaccinated.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Yes. Because that's the only way to get most of these fucksticks vaccinated.
Never going to happen. Our pandering society opened pandoras box on not requiring vaccines a decade ago and we are never getting that closed.

Our only hope unfortunately is that this mutates and starts killing kids in droves or an infection becomes a high chance of death for the non high risk and Olds

38 minutes ago, wood said:

This is it. 

What is the estimated timeline to get these vaccines full FDA approval?

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Not peer reviewed, but study says Moderna may be more effective than Pfizer against Delta (76% vs 42%). Recommendation is that people who got Pfizer get a Moderna booster. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v1.full.pdf

I'm not smart enough to understand all of the stuff in there so maybe someone who is versed on this shit can interpret for the rest of us...

Are boosters easy to get right now for people who've already been vaxxed? Wife (no pics) & I got Moderna, but my boys got the Pfizer. (apologize in advance for my ignorance)

WTF is wrong with you?
Perhaps you misunderstood or I worded that incorrectly. The only way you are going to get the antivax to accept that this vaccine is necessary is if kids and other healthy people start dying at the same rate the olds do.

It's unfortunate that is what it will take.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

It wouldn’t be necessary at all if the same people decrying a vaccine passport actually got vaccinated.  

I am vaccinated.  My immediate family is too.

The call for papers is strange, yet and still.  Guess I'm a sinner for not embracing the total 'solution.'

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or you're a dumbass who doesn't understand how public policy works hand in hand with public health outcomes. Who could say.

Ah yes, the IQ card... another set of papers, eh?  You have experience solving pandemics and I don't?

It's just a matter of intelligence, you say...

I’d posit that the inability to get past the “My team/ their team” thingy is one of the biggest single inhibitors of achieving higher vaccination rates.  

Edited by slorch

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I remember when you guys got upset about us making nazi comparisons (when we were discussing an obvious fascist who eventually attempted a violent coup). 

I didn't make the allegation.  I said it's strange as fuck coming from those who generally do or did.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ah yes, the IQ card... another set of papers, eh?  You have experience solving pandemics and I don't?

It's just a matter of intelligence, you say...

No no, you're right. I'm sure that letting unvaccinated people use mass transit and community services without facemasks isn't going to expose more people to COVID and enable more community spread. 

I really don't understand this anti-intellecualism being displayed by the "we want COVID to end but don't want to do anything to achieve that outcome".

Tell me slorch, do you think that statewide bans on mask and vaccine mandates really are the most effective mechanism to fight COVID?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

I didn't make the allegation.  I said it's strange as fuck coming from those who generally do or did.

We're not randomly demanding people show ID for no reason. We're demanding they show that they aren't actively and knowingly endangering the lives of the public whenever they go out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Those screaming about vaccine passports have no problems carrying two or more required cards around to drive.

And you’ve nailed the dichotomy right there.

just Mail the vaccines to peoples houses and take their word for it.

Why not do what we should've been doing from the start:  fast, accurate testing on a routine basis?

This solves for the under 12 crowd who can't get vaccinated.

I have no problem places asking for proof of vaccination as long as there's also an option for recent negative test.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My BIL is in this group.  From what I can gather, his 'reasons' are that he doesn't want anyone to tell him what to do, and this is the hill he's willing to die on.  He's smart, he's not a Trumper.  He's not a Qtard.  He's not an anti-masker.  He's just a stubborn ass Texan.

It's surprised me the cross-section of people I deal with who are not getting vaccinated. Black/white, Rich/Poor. Masters Degrees/GED. Religious/Atheist. 

I honestly don't get it but it scares me for the future of our country. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

Yeah if only there were some way to avoid all this....

No kidding. The only reason we’re even discussing vaccine passports right now is because a whole bunch of dumbasses won’t get one and are currently filling up our hospitals in the middle of fucking July and august. 

13 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's surprised me the cross-section of people I deal with who are not getting vaccinated. Black/white, Rich/Poor. Masters Degrees/GED. Religious/Atheist. 

I honestly don't get it but it scares me for the future of our country. 

The only people I know who refuse to get vaccinated are some hicks in the sticks. Even the city dwelling dumbasses who I disagree with politically have all got the vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The only people I know who refuse to get vaccinated are some hicks in the sticks. Even the city dwelling dumbasses who I disagree with politically have all got the vaccine. 

Your mileage may vary. Dude with the office next to me has a finance degree / MBA & is "waiting" for all the information to come out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Your mileage may vary. Dude with the office next to me has a finance degree / MBA & is "waiting" for all the information to come out. 

We have six out of an office of 90 or so who haven't gotten vaccinated. Well, five with one "preferring not to disclose", so six.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I think it’s becoming clear there’s a decent amount of people who don’t advertise that they’re hesitant. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Why not do what we should've been doing from the start:  fast, accurate testing on a routine basis?
This solves for the under 12 crowd who can't get vaccinated.
I have no problem places asking for proof of vaccination as long as there's also an option for recent negative test.

I don’t think Elizabeth Holmes is busy right now, maybe she could help.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That hasn’t been my experience. The highest ranking person in our office hasn’t gotten it because he “never gets sick” and he feels the vaccine was rushed. He’s sharp and a good leader. Definitely not a Trumper.

There are trends in the unvaxxed population but it’s not a monolithic block. Something like 40% of healthcare workers aren’t vaccinated.
  • Hook 'Em 2