COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

41 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There was a guy who protested every day outside of the Planned Parenthood that is caddy corner to the closest liquor store from my house.  3 or 4 months ago he went away and haven’t seen him since.  Guessing either Covid got his ass or that Planned Parenthood closed and building management just hasn’t removed the signage yet.

catty corner

2 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

This is in 21 hospitals.  It is good news, but Jesus, the UK and Israel are making the US public health system look horrible.  Our data sets are small, inconsistent, and fragmented.  It is really difficult to get good large scale data sets in the US in a timely fashion.  The pandemic has really exposed how vulnerable and unorganized we are.

It's due to the decentralized nature of public health reporting here. It's all on the state and local PH departments to provide this information to the CDC and they don't have to do it. It's all voluntary. 

If a state doesn't want to provide COVID data to the feds, then they just won't do it (I'm looking at you, Florida). 

I got to work on NEDSS (aka NBS - NEDSS Base System) back in the early 2000s. Every state sends their own data their own way and CDC has to filter through all of this garbage in order to produce reports. NBS is provided to states for FREE and yet only half of the states even use it (Texas is one of them btw).

People don't realize what the CDC actually does - it's mostly research. They can't tell anyone to do anything - only make recommendations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Voting for a limited EUA for 65+ and individuals at high risk for severe COVID now.  Latter is undefined.  

eta: and it passes unanimously. 

eta: now they are polling the group as to whether high risk for severe COVID should include individuals with high risk of occupational exposure.  They all say yes, but this is nonsensical output from the committee.  Clown show.  

Edited by Anastasis

55 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Voting for a limited EUA for 65+ and individuals at high risk for severe COVID now.  Latter is undefined.  

eta: and it passes unanimously. 

eta: now they are polling the group as to whether high risk for severe COVID should include individuals with high risk of occupational exposure.  They all say yes, but this is nonsensical output from the committee.  Clown show.  

so if you are over 65 but don't take the booster are you "fully vaccinated"?

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so if you are over 65 but don't take the booster are you "fully vaccinated"?

Not if you’ve had Pfizer, I believe. It certainly expands the window for mandates. Including those with “high risk for occupational exposure” also opens up people of all ages to further mandates. 

We need to protect the vaccinated from the not fully vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

6 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Not if you’ve had Pfizer, I believe. It certainly expands the window for mandates. Including those with “high risk for occupational exposure” also opens up people of all ages to further mandates. 

We need to protect the vaccinated from the not fully vaccinated. 

so Pfizer no booster can't get on a plane but Moderna no booster can get on a plane?

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so Pfizer no booster can't get on a plane but Moderna no booster can get on a plane?

I don't think that this will be relevant to mandates since it is under an EUA and not an approval, but who fucking knows where things end up.  Good luck writing up that mandate rule OSHA. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Well they haven’t done anything about air travel yet, but if governments are discounting natural immunity I don’t see why they wouldn’t discount two shot people.

The refrain here will be something like, “Sure you have some protection from two shots, but you could do better with a third shot why don’t you just do it”. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Well they haven’t done anything about air travel yet, but if governments are discounting natural immunity I don’t see why they wouldn’t discount two shot people.

The refrain here will be something like, “Sure you have some protection from two shots, but you could do better with a third shot why don’t you just do it”. 

Because the FDA is officially going to put the kibosh on the third shot.  

Also, go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Because the FDA is officially going to put the kibosh on the third shot.  

The FDA essentially just got the nod from the advisory committee to authorize boosters in what, some 200+ MM Americans.  They just did so in the most convoluted non-sensical fashion possible injecting confusion all around.  Which is pretty on brand.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

So I've been following everyone getting tested at Texas cares on this thread and had my mom who lives in Arlington go get tested last week.

Backstory - she got her second Pfizer back in Feb at the Convention Center.  At the time she was raving about how the local firefighters ran such an efficient operation, quick in and out etc...  A few days after her second shot her arm was still really sore, painful to move, loss of motion...  She also was telling me that the firefighter gave her the shot pretty high up in her arm.  Her arm never fully recovered.  Doctor's couldn't really figure anything out - still limited motion after PT.  She just attributed it to "frozen shoulder". At this point she's close to getting back to normal.

Fast forward to the Texas Cares study.  She got her results and had an antibody level of 188.  I don't think I've seen a number that low on this thread.  She took her results to her doctor today and they now think her second shot didn't make it into her muscle and that could explain the low antibody level.  Getting her a booster ASAP.

Anyways, up to now she wasn't in any hurry to get a third shot but the Texas Cares Results have made her change her thinking on that thankfully.

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that this will be relevant to mandates since it is under an EUA and not an approval, but who fucking knows where things end up.  Good luck writing up that mandate rule OSHA. 

I do see it is EUA. good point.  and yes the pretzel logic continues...

30 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

Fast forward to the Texas Cares study.  She got her results and had an antibody level of 188.  I don't think I've seen a number that low on this thread.  She took her results to her doctor today and they now think her second shot didn't make it into her muscle and that could explain the low antibody level.  Getting her a booster ASAP.

Just got my Texas Cares result this afternoon and scored a whopping 39.7.  J&J in early March.  Shit.  

Guess I'll be calling my Dr early next week to see what he recommends, other than getting my affairs in order and helping my wife set up a Gofundme.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Just got my Texas Cares result this afternoon and scored a whopping 39.7.  J&J in early March.  Shit.  

Guess I'll be calling my Dr early next week to see what he recommends, other than getting my affairs in order and helping my wife set up a Gofundme.

Go schedule two rounds of Moderna. Act like the J&J shot never happened. 

(BTW, I'm not a doctor, but I do post on Surly.)

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

The FDA essentially just got the nod from the advisory committee to authorize boosters in what, some 200+ MM Americans.  They just did so in the most convoluted non-sensical fashion possible injecting confusion all around.  Which is pretty on brand.  

It would appear that the Sep 20th deadline contributed to the haphazard fashion that it went down 

Fuck me.  First 2 doses nothing more than a slight headache.  Got the shot yesterday at 5:30, woke up this morning not feeling great, headache, a little sore, took Tylenol and was,ok.  Started feeling like shit midday, another dose of Tylenol, then around 3 started really feeling like ass.  And now more than 24 hrs later running 101, chills, aches, dogshit feeling.  Better shake this for the Rose Bowl tomorrow.

So had a buddy and his wife over last night that both just got over Covid a few weeks back.  She is vaccinated, he isn't.  He has Crohn's and sounds like one of the meds he is on for that led to his doc recommending hold off the vax.  She felt kind of down for about 3 days but ran a 100-101 degree fever for a week She said even though still had a fever she didn't really feel bad the whole week. He initially didn't feel as bad, got the monoclonal, said after that (and he isn't attributing it to that necessarily just that the timing was after that) for 7 days his head hurt so badly that he felt like his skull was slowly being broken piece by piece inside his head.  

No fucking thank you.  He couldn't get vaxxed but anybody who would willingly sign up for the risk of that kind of pain....I don't even know.  

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

You underestimate the overwhelming compulsion to own the libs at any cost.

I have genuine sympathy for that guy, and fuck this assholes he probably got it from who probably weren't vaxxed or wearing masks.

I don't get the political slur. It seems like it should be posted on another board. Especially, since it is tangentially related at best to surlybevo's post. His point was that people should get vaccinated because the pain and suffering from catching the disease can be unbearable.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't get the political slur. It seems like it should be posted on another board. Especially, since it is tangentially related at best to surlybevo's post. His point was that people should get vaccinated because the pain and suffering from catching the disease can be unbearable.

Oops. /no cr

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So had a buddy and his wife over last night that both just got over Covid a few weeks back.  She is vaccinated, he isn't.  He has Crohn's and sounds like one of the meds he is on for that led to his doc recommending hold off the vax.  She felt kind of down for about 3 days but ran a 100-101 degree fever for a week She said even though still had a fever she didn't really feel bad the whole week. He initially didn't feel as bad, got the monoclonal, said after that (and he isn't attributing it to that necessarily just that the timing was after that) for 7 days his head hurt so badly that he felt like his skull was slowly being broken piece by piece inside his head.  

No fucking thank you.  He couldn't get vaxxed but anybody who would willingly sign up for the risk of that kind of pain....I don't even know.  

that's strange I've know 3 people who took the monoclonal and all 3 felt fine after 3 days and cleared it in 5.