COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Two shot JNJ data incoming...

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-real-world-evidence-and-phase-3-data-confirming-strong-and-long-lasting-protection-of-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-in-the-u-s

Booster shot at two months provided 94 percent protection against COVID-19 in the U.S.
The Phase 3 ENSEMBLE 2 study showed that another shot of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine given 56 days after the first provided:

• 100 percent protection (CI, 33%-100%) against severe/critical COVID-19 – at least 14 days post-final vaccination.
  • 75 percent protection against symptomatic (moderate to severe/critical) COVID-19 globally (CI, 55%-87%).
  • 94 percent protection against symptomatic (moderate to severe/critical) COVID-19 in the U.S. (CI, 58%-100%).

When a booster of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine was given two months after the first shot, antibody levels rose to four to six times higher than observed after the single shot.

Booster shot at six months provided 12-fold increase in antibodies
When a booster of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine was given six months after the single shot, antibody levels increased nine-fold one week after the booster and continued to climb to 12-fold higher four weeks after the booster. All rises were irrespective of age.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What's going on with other vaccines, like Novavax?  I understand they are delaying US EUA again, likely till the end of the year, but they are going to be one of the bigger vaccines distributed in developing countries in short order....is that accurate?  And are there other vaccines that look promising?  The more we get out there, the better, I would think.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's going on with other vaccines, like Novavax?  I understand they are delaying US EUA again, likely till the end of the year, but they are going to be one of the bigger vaccines distributed in developing countries in short order....is that accurate?  And are there other vaccines that look promising?  The more we get out there, the better, I would think.

Zero reason to move into the US market because it's saturated and despite the fact that according to what I've read it's the best vaccine based on trials.  

I know 4 different people, 3 in Colorado and 1 in Florida, who got a positive covid test back in the last two days.  All were vaccinated when it became available for the general adult population.  All have symptomatic but mild cases, at least right now.  The three in Colorado are in their 30s and 40s, and had generally gone back to normal life after their vaccine -- going out to restaurants, etc...  The one in Florida was much more cautious and has been using a mask, but she is a school teacher in Florida where there are no mask requirements in school.

I am curious if their current infections will essentialy refresh their immune response to covid.  Whether their infection is effectively equivalent to getting a booster shot.

Got my CARES results today.  Moderna second 4/19

COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein: Positive

COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein Quantitative: 1,641

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies: Negative

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies Quantitative: 0

So, I guess that means never had COVID and pretty good immunity still?

Was around a 3 year old with COVID on Saturday, so good to know I have decent antibodies still.  My 4 and 1 year olds were exposed too, so we'll see.  Tests on Thursday.

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

If ingesting live stock de-wormer can gain traction as a cure then we should be pushing that blowjobs are also just as effective. 

Spoiler, getting blowjobs is a moderately effective way to boost your immune system.

Edited by Bevo

40 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

If ingesting live stock de-wormer can gain traction as a cure then we should be pushing that giving blowjobs are also just as effective. 

But it has to be your horse though, right? 

Anyone want to snort some Llama? 

A Covid therapy derived from a llama named Fifi has shown "significant potential" in early trials.
It is a treatment made of "nanobodies", small, simpler versions of antibodies, which llamas and camels produce naturally in response to infection.
Once the therapy has been tested in humans, scientists say, it could be given as a simple nasal spray - to treat and even prevent early infection.
Prof James Naismith described nanobodies as "fantastically exciting".

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58628689

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Anyone want to snort some Llama? 

A Covid therapy derived from a llama named Fifi has shown "significant potential" in early trials.
It is a treatment made of "nanobodies", small, simpler versions of antibodies, which llamas and camels produce naturally in response to infection.
Once the therapy has been tested in humans, scientists say, it could be given as a simple nasal spray - to treat and even prevent early infection.
Prof James Naismith described nanobodies as "fantastically exciting".

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58628689

The guy who invented basketball?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Llama antibodies and modern hoops?  Man, that guy was so prolific.  

Problem is the dealers are gonna start cutting the llama nasal rails with fentanyl and ruining everybody's good time.  

4 hours ago, Stringer said:

Got my CARES results today.  Moderna second 4/19

COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein: Positive

COVID-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein Quantitative: 1,641

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies: Negative

SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Total Antibodies Quantitative: 0

So, I guess that means never had COVID and pretty good immunity still?

Was around a 3 year old with COVID on Saturday, so good to know I have decent antibodies still.  My 4 and 1 year olds were exposed too, so we'll see.  Tests on Thursday.

Must be moderna? 100 microgram moderna dose appears to produce longer staying power than 30 microgram pfizer

Edited by B00M
Of course the moderna causes a lot more discomfort at the injection site so you take the good with the bad

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

Llama-based nasal spray? Have you ever smelled a llama? No thanks. 

Somebody please post that .gif of Ricky snorting nasal spray in "Better off Dead" and then a few scenes late Charles Demar says, "Nasal Spray?  Know where I can score some?"    That's where our Covid-19 battle plan is right now.  

On 9/17/2021 at 5:53 PM, Deej said:

Go schedule two rounds of Moderna. Act like the J&J shot never happened. 

(BTW, I'm not a doctor, but I do post on Surly.)

My doc told me pretty much the same - if it were him, he'd jump ship and get full Moderna.  So, got first round this afternoon. 

Now just waiting for the big balls, so I can bust out the parachute pants.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3