COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

12 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Like with pretty much anything else with respect to health, risk is assessed by 1) age and 2) comorbidities.  So, boosters should be an individual decision in consult with a trusted HCP.  If you are in your 60s, boost thyself.  If you are in your 30s and healthy, maybe not.

But, for me, I'm not going to wave off future COVID-19 mRNA boosters just because "we don't know enough about what it will do to us".  The first step is to avoid hospitalization and death from COVID-19, not some herky-jerky rationalization that you might become resistant to the ingredients in the vaccines and maybe you get cancer because a heretofor non-existent cancer vaccine won't work for you in the future.  Since when are there perfect constructs and binary risk profiles for human health in this life?  Sheesh, I'm never going to wind myself into a pretzel about this stuff.

I wouldn't wave off boosters. I have no problem pushing out the schedule for me, though. I have waited a year since my original immunizations and I'll probably do about the same next year unless something changes the risk such as having to attend a large conference in September 2022. And when a better vaccine is in development I will have no problem waiting an extra 6 months for it to hit the market and maybe even a little longer - I have little need to be an early adopter. YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Got 2 shot moderna back in April. First cares results were no Covid and 1070. Just got second results and it’s still no Covid but 780.

Am I doomed? Get the booster? I’d ask my doctor but I prefer medical advice I research on the net. 

Well in that case, dose up on horse paste and Clorox bleach.  Maybe cut a hole in your stomach and shine some UV light in there.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Got 2 shot moderna back in April. First cares results were no Covid and 1070. Just got second results and it’s still no Covid but 780.

Am I doomed? Get the booster? I’d ask my doctor but I prefer medical advice I research on the net. 

T&Ps are being sent to your family.

• Haha 1

This is great news. 3rd shot increased antibodies 5x from the second shot, which was pretty high to begin with but trended down. If this result is continued in others, another booster may not be required until 9-12 months later.

I got my Moderna booster last Friday and am waiting on my CARES text.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Incredulity said:

2X moderna second in late April

Break through Covid in Late Oct.

Booster or nah?

I’m basically the exact same, aside from getting Covid a little sooner than you, and I got the booster a month ago about a week prior to going on a trip.  If I wasn’t dealing with travel I would’ve waited another month.  I made that choice after consulting with my doctor.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Not really because there is lots of evidence on safety over time. If mRNA vaccines become a standard then there isn't much evidence to this date - The mRNA vaccines could become less effective because of early clearance from your system and reactions to the vaccine and its components (like the lipid carrier) could increase over years of use. It would kind of suck if you needed a vaccine for cancer in 20 years and couldn't get it. I'm not saying it will happen and I am not saying that it is likely. What I am saying is that it is a possibility so I personally will tread cautiously.

These are similar to vaccines provided before. It's "new" in the sense that a 2021 Ford F-150 is new.  There isn't a ton of data on what the 2021 F-150 will do. But there is decades of data on what the very similar devices do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Booster or nah?

2nd Pfizer in early April; breakthrough in late July; I’m a college professor, so I’m exposed to lots of disease vectors; last week my doctor said to get it in maybe early January. I might get it a little earlier if I travel for the holidays.

3 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

These are similar to vaccines provided before. It's "new" in the sense that a 2021 Ford F-150 is new.  There isn't a ton of data on what the 2021 F-150 will do. But there is decades of data on what the very similar devices do. 

Lipid encapsulation has been used in cancer therapy but the goals were different. I developed a high salt/SDS transfection reagent which was used to transfect eukaryotic cells HelA, CHO, etc. But just because the techniques are similar, the goals are different. If you want to talk scientifically, I'll listen. If you want to tell me that a mRNA vaccine for humans is to a influenza vaccines for humans as an F-150 is to a Silverado, I have no interest.

17 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Booster or nah?

I’d ask my doctor and not an internet message board.  However, if you had COVID, you have to wait to get a shot.  I believe it is 90 days.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

I saw my doctor for an annual physical a couple weeks ago. I told him that I got my second Moderna shot at the end of February and asked if I should get a booster. He said, “Well, the booster isn’t approved for you yet. And you’re young, so you should wait.” [47 is young for this guy, apparently, and it’s not like he’s ancient.]

I haven’t done the antibody test so I have no idea what my numbers are. I figure I’ll get the booster sometime in December.

Edited by South Austin

I have my booster this AM.  NYC has approved the booster for everyone over 18 as long as your are 6 months from your second (or first for J&J) shot.  They want to keep cases as low as possible, and have declared that the density of NYC as well as the expected holiday rush means that NYC residents are at risk.

I’d ask my doctor and not an internet message board.  However, if you had COVID, you have to wait to get a shot.  I believe it is 90 days.

It’s 90 days if you had the antibodies treatment. My kid got her shot after having COVID a months ago but my wife has to wait for her booster until January due to having the treatment.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:49 AM, South Austin said:

I saw my doctor for an annual physical a couple weeks ago. I told him that I got my second Moderna shot at the end of February and asked if I should get a booster. He said, “Well, the booster isn’t approved for you yet. And you’re young, so you should wait.” [47 is young for this guy, apparently, and it’s not like he’s ancient.]

I haven’t done the antibody test so I have no idea what my numbers are. I figure I’ll get the booster sometime in December.

i easily scheduled and got my booster through CVS. didn't need no doc permission. the pharmacist lady giving me the shot noticed that i was 1 day short of 6 months from 2nd vax shot. she didn't care and gave me the booster anyway.

just went through the CVS website to see if they are still taking appointments and they are. just need to choose different dates until they have openings.

Edited by crash_davis

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i easily scheduled and got my booster through CVS. didn't need no doc permission. the pharmacist lady giving me the shot noticed that i was 1 day short of 6 months from 2nd vax shot. she didn't care and gave me the booster anyway.

I wasn't looking to my doc for a permission slip, but I was curious about his take.  And last night, even before I heard about the approval of booster shots for all adults, I booked an appointment at Walgreens for my booster. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Got my flu shot on Thursday.  No sore arm and no ill effects.  I usually never worry about ill effects from the flu shot, but after my covid shots and boosters, I worried a bit about it for no good reason.

Any word on the flu shot’s efficacy this year or is it just too early to know?

On 11/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, Bevo said:

Lipid encapsulation has been used in cancer therapy but the goals were different. I developed a high salt/SDS transfection reagent which was used to transfect eukaryotic cells HelA, CHO, etc. But just because the techniques are similar, the goals are different. If you want to talk scientifically, I'll listen. If you want to tell me that a mRNA vaccine for humans is to a influenza vaccines for humans as an F-150 is to a Silverado, I have no interest.

image.gif.4fa58a69299dca2a0698ac1a52c86bdc.gif

Ok, so second shot was in April (Moderna). Had the first Texas Cares draw three months ago, with a score of 1,600.

Picked up breakthrough COVID in late September. Just had my second draw -- positive for N protein, with 69.2. Positive for S protein, now reading >2,500.

My wife went from about 1,200 to ~700 and didn't pick up COVID when the kid brought it home from school. She is thinking of getting the booster when it rolls out. I plan to wait until early next year.

11 hours ago, Deej said:

Got my email from Texas Cares for the second draw. Submitted the survey and it borked, now I'm locked out of it. FML.

Same thing happened to me.  Their customer service phone line was worthless.  I actually sent an email with my info and got a response back within a few hours from a competent employee.  Don't respond to the one they sent, send a new one to this:  TexasCARES@uth.tmc.edu        Though I'm sure there's not much checking during Thanksgiving week.  Try Monday.  They got back to me with new login info and order # (or whatever they call that number that you show at clinpath).  I went in next day for my second draw and got results within 36 hours.  And the email lady also rebooted my alerts for my third/final draw in 90 days.

I seem to have plateau'd at 850, which means I'm due for a dropoff so I'm getting the booster on Friday morning so both me and Longhorn football can take a hot shit about the same time Friday afternoon.  

Edited by Lobo

Looking to schedule my booster this weekend. I have to strategically plan mine because both doses of Pfizer made me feel pretty lousy, though the second was about half the time of the first. My usual two CVS stores have Moderna. Another one pretty close has Pfizer. My PCP is not a fan of Pfizer as a company based on some things they've done in his mind that are unethical. I believe the Moderna shot was a bigger dose -- not sure about booster. At any rate, trying to get scheduled this weekend.