COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Help me out here. Wptv article says 16k children hospitalized this month (July). Did they misread AAP table?  I read it as 16k is the cumulative number, as in for the whole pandemic. 

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/increasing-number-of-children-hospitalized-with-covid-19-doctor-says

https://downloads.aap.org/AAP/PDF/AAP and CHA - Children and COVID-19 State Data Report 7.22 FINAL.pdf

4 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I never quite got the "science" behind the whole kids can't get the virus as easily as adults theory. Why not? 

I don’t think there was any science behind not getting it. I think the science was (the original strain) wasn’t deadly. The surly doctors can weigh in and clarify if I’m wrong 

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Goddammit. Am about to be +6 months from second Pfizer shot next week.

The third booster is for the delta variant from what I heard. My symptoms over the weekend were comparable to a light to mild hangover. So take that for what it's worth.

The third booster is for the delta variant from what I heard. My symptoms over the weekend were comparable to a light to mild hangover. So take that for what it's worth.

Correct and the effectiveness for other variants drops after six months to roughly what it was after first dose IIRC.

So I’ve got that going for me.

Please tell me that as you approach the office elevator, you begin to affix your N95 mask and shout at whomever is on the car, "NOT GREAT BOB!"  

Yahoo just had a cover story about the tweet from GS and the drop in the UK.  Not sure if its up for everyone.   Basically agreeing that delta might have made it run at the US and is about to drop massively.  God forbid the CDC and current admin look at that as a reason to hold off on their new policies this week unless it's a strike while fear is high kind of thing. 

36 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I never quite got the "science" behind the whole kids can't get the virus as easily as adults theory. Why not? 

One theory I’ve read is kids have strong T cell immunity to other coronaviruses that cause colds. T cell immunity in general declines significantly with age, which could explain why kids are less likely to catch it compared to olds. It’s just a theory though. I’d love to prove it (get my name in the National Geographic). 

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Help me out here. Wptv article says 16k children hospitalized this month (July). Did they misread AAP table?  I read it as 16k is the cumulative number, as in for the whole pandemic. 

https://www.wptv.com/coronavirus/increasing-number-of-children-hospitalized-with-covid-19-doctor-says

https://downloads.aap.org/AAP/PDF/AAP and CHA - Children and COVID-19 State Data Report 7.22 FINAL.pdf

Sometimes a little common sense, smell test is helpful. Since 2019, < 350 kids have died from covid-19. Does that gel with 16,000 kids hospitalized in a month?

We live in a time where people of science (gasp), NOT RELIGION, have worked very hard to figure out this vaccine shit and yet people refuse to act not only in the interests of those around them but in their own interests. Why? Because mankind is kinda stupid. 

Like Voltaire (or somebody) said: man is smart. Mankind is dumb. 

Vaccines have basically done away with smallpox, polio, and other diseases. Those diseases can come back. And if they do, let the anti-vaxxers reap it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The delta did get my ex to about face on vaccines for our 15 and 12.  When I brought it up at the beginning of summer she said wait. So I did with the knowledge that I still have the ability to act independently on medical care for my kids should I need to.    Last week she got hers and when dropping my son off yesterday she said lets go ahead with the kids.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Sometimes a little common sense, smell test is helpful. Since 2019, < 350 kids have died from covid-19. Does that gel with 16,000 kids hospitalized in a month?

Yeah, didn’t make sent to me, but that is the article my wife was freaking out about yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well as of today he's on a ventilator.  What a shame.

I hope there's a video of him choking out, pleading to God.  Feeling his own body drowning him from the inside and realizing he was vilifying the wrong people all along.  People on their deathbed, will always have regrets.  It's the curse of our species.  I should have eaten better, worked less, been more mindful, etc.---it's naturally normal and they shall pass on in peace to the other side.  But it's in that instant, that tiny glimpse, where you see them realize it was just the one thing.  One moment that they can't have back.  This one innocuous decision they made that brought them directly to their painful end.  Cursing science, refusing help, and embracing stupidity---when their gasps for redemption are as desperate as their gasps for oxygen.  That's when somebody should be there to put a mypillow over the fucker's face to stop the annoying percolating sound.  The shit spewed from people like him killed way more of us than should have happened.  May God be with you Phil Valentine because nobody on this Earth is. 

Edited by Lobo

dumbass unvaccinated BIL got the rona and is not doing well. We're in NC and all of the updates we're getting are about how he's still in the ER because they don't have beds. I mentioned to my wife that the experience of wanting information about his condition and only receiving information about unrelated things is not a surprise from her side of the family and I'm now waiting for her to get mad at me

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Yahoo just had a cover story about the tweet from GS and the drop in the UK.  Not sure if its up for everyone.   Basically agreeing that delta might have made it run at the US and is about to drop massively.  God forbid the CDC and current admin look at that as a reason to hold off on their new policies this week unless it's a strike while fear is high kind of thing

I think that is definitely the game plan. This is probably their last, best chance to make big changes or proclamations. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

dumbass unvaccinated BIL got the rona and is not doing well. We're in NC and all of the updates we're getting are about how he's still in the ER because they don't have beds. I mentioned to my wife that the experience of wanting information about his condition and only receiving information about unrelated things is not a surprise from her side of the family and I'm now waiting for her to get mad at me

good luck to the BIL but man, it's really hard to feel sorry for these people who are choosing to be dumbasses either out of laziness or some dipshit bullshit reason.

the vaccine is going to kill me!!!!

yea, of old age, dumbass.

• Hook 'Em 1

OR manager at one of our sites caught covid last week. Anti masker and anti vaxxer. Heard he couldnt get off the couch for 4 days. Still wont admit he has covid. His girlfriend also has it.

Pacu nurse at another site (38 yrs old and slightly overweight) caught it a few days ago and is thinking about going into the ER today because she cant breathe and her home pulse ox is reading 89%. Also did not get vaccinated.

54 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Hopefully, this isn't a trend. Going to the ER for something and then catching COVID would suck.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Point is, if you vaccinated fucks think you are invincible, even a nothing serious Delta infection can make clots.

I don't think most of us feel invincible.  Just like most rational people realize they can die in a car accident or another other ways you can die or get sick.    

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

One theory I’ve read is kids have strong T cell immunity to other coronaviruses that cause colds. T cell immunity in general declines significantly with age, which could explain why kids are less likely to catch it compared to olds. It’s just a theory though. I’d love to prove it (get my name in the National Geographic). 

Yes - and you can even see this with the antibody titer response to the vaccine. The older you are, the harder it is to generate a neutralizing titer, and the less effective the vaccine is. Young people have a more robust immune response. 

I don't think most of us feel invincible.  Just like most rational people realize they can die in a car accident or another other ways you can die or get sick.    

That statement was in the context of the reality of vaccinated peeps who think they can’t give it or get it, and can’t die from it.

PEs don’t give a shit. I’ll still be dead with a “HE BEAT CANCER!!” Tombstone.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, crash_davis said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/26/covid-vaccine-regrets/?utm_source=reddit.com

An Alabama mother who lost her son to covid says not getting the vaccine is her biggest regret

Perhaps she should regret not teaching him that being morbidly obese at 28 is gonna cause issues.

INLW74XMZEI6XIV2HPRR2NESLA.jpg&w=916

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/blood-clots-covid

Folks should read this. After my 2nd vax - 2 months later - I had two half-days of feeling tired with low temp (100.3) fever. I took a CT 10 days later for cancer mets monitoring - and had DVT in groin and multiple clots in lungs. Onc says it was likely Covid.

Cancer ain’t cool, but PEs and DVTs can make you dead quick. On blood thinners now. Point is, if you vaccinated fucks think you are invincible, even a nothing serious Delta infection can make clots. And clots can kill you. 1/3 of Pulmonary embolisms are found on autopsy.

Wear masks for a month people, until the Delta wave sputters a bit.

Hope you are feeling better.

Your onc realizes that metastatic cancer also increases risk for clots, I hope?  Like, WAAAAAYYYY MORE than COVID…

I’d bet you didn’t have COVID…but what do I know?  You could get antobodies checked to find out for sure.  

17 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Holy shit the people running the CDC are so fucking stupid.

You’re going to change mask policy for over 300 million people based on this shit?  THIS is the best you’ve got?!?!?

“Let’s take a self-selected, not-statistically-significant sample of ~200 nondiverse people during a party weekend that was an outlier in many respects, and use it to conclude that breakthrough infections are just as likely to transmit the virus?” 

FUCK YOU CDC ASSHOLES!!!!

Plus they only looked at symptomatic infections.  How many asymptomatic vaccinated people would have tested positive but will low titers of virus in their nose?  The denominator is screwed up.  

Symptomatic breakthrough infections having similar viral loads to symptomatic unvaccinated infections would be much less of a problem, both because symptomatic breakthroughs are rare and because people can learn to be more careful (and get tested) when they have symptoms.

10 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

Holy shit the people running the CDC are so fucking stupid.

You’re going to change mask policy for over 300 million people based on this shit?  THIS is the best you’ve got?!?!?

“Let’s take a self-selected, not-statistically-significant sample of ~200 nondiverse people during a party weekend that was an outlier in many respects, and use it to conclude that breakthrough infections are just as likely to transmit the virus?” 

FUCK YOU CDC ASSHOLES!!!!

Plus they only looked at symptomatic infections.  How many asymptomatic vaccinated people would have tested positive but will low titers of virus in their nose?  The denominator is screwed up.  

Symptomatic breakthrough infections having similar viral loads to symptomatic unvaccinated infections would be much less of a problem, both because symptomatic breakthroughs are rare and because people can learn to be more careful (and get tested) when they have symptoms.

Or we could just make everyone wear a mask because it’s really fucking easy to do and doesn’t hurt anyone but potentially saves lives. How dare they

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Apologies - I wast trying to edit but my internet has had rona. I mis-spoke - it was the UFT - the NYC teacher's union, so my bad. I'm not sure about all the other crazy conspiracy stuff you mentioned though.

Okay, well, let's go back to your original claim and correct it with the right acronym.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:18 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

As we learned in elementary school, talk is cheap. It is interesting that in additional to rejecting the mandate only 60% of AFT UFT members are vaccinated. There obviously is a gap in between what people say and what they do. Of course, I am assuming (reasonably) that the AFT UFT speaks for the significant majority of teachers.

Source on the percentage? 

Also, as a reminder, the UFT in NYC supports the mandate. So, regardless of whatever percentage of their membership is vaccinated, you're still fucking wrong, whether by design or stupidity.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, bolverk said:

The National Education Association strongly supports and encourages their membership getting the vaccine in comparison to other groups who oppose both vaccines and masks in principle, regardless of whether either is mandatory. Maybe you should focus your ire toward them instead.

In NYC, however, the union is on board:

At a news conference on Monday, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo avoided supporting a statewide measure like Mr. Newsom’s and argued most “public-facing” employees are municipal, not state workers, suggesting mandates were more of a question for localities.

Eric Adams, the Democratic nominee for mayor and Mr. de Blasio’s likely successor, declined to comment on vaccine mandates, but said through a spokesman that he would continue to work to get more New Yorkers vaccinated.

“Long term our goal must be to get the vaccination rates up — and I will continue to work with the governor and the mayor to partner government and resources with credible messengers in under-vaccinated areas,” he said.

Mr. de Blasio said the new measures were first steps and that more would follow.

He could face opposition from the city’s more than two dozen municipal unions. The president of one paramedics’ union, FDNY EMS Local 2507, which has 4,300 members, said on Monday that it opposed the new measures, which he said needed to be collectively bargained.

“The city and the mayor cannot simply disregard the civil liberties of the work force,” the president, Oren Barzilay, said in a statement.

But the United Federation of Teachers said it was on board with the new rules. New York City’s largest police union, the Police Benevolent Association, declined to comment.

I've been reading a lot about Israel's outbreak, because they are ahead of us both in vaccinations and delta exposures. Some things of interest broken down by cases, hospitalization and long covid risk. 

1) Cases- Israel is in exponential spread, 2000 cases a day 4 days in a row now, while the UK, Gibraltar and Malta all look to have peaked. Those data points are incongruous and I've been trying to rationalize them for a bit. Israel started vaccinations early, so that may be a factor as a lot of the infections anecdotally seem to be happening in people 4-6 months + from their vaccination. 

2) Hospitalizations- The good news, so far the vaccines are squashing hospitalizations and deaths in Israel. They were at 143 hospitalizations on July 21 and are at 167 now. Hospitalizations trail by 2 weeks or so, so that's something to keep an eye on next week, but so far it's excellent news.

3) Long Covid Risks- Breakthrough cases can lead to long covid symptoms, 19% of breakthroughs still had symptoms at the 6-week mark in a recent Israeli study of healthcare workers. This study was healthcare workers, who are likely exposed to relatively high viral loads compared to the normal populations, but 85% of the cases were alpha variant and delta has a much higher viral load, so that may be a wash. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2109072

Most breakthrough cases were mild or asymptomatic, although 19% had persistent symptoms (>6 weeks). The B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant was found in 85% of samples tested. A total of 74% of case patients had a high viral load (Ct value, <30) at some point during their infection; however, of these patients, only 17 (59%) had a positive result on concurrent Ag-RDT. No secondary infections were documented.

If you are vaccinated, if you can, avoid crowds and keep your mask on. We're about to collect a shitload of real world data on delta and we'll know a lot more in a few weeks. 

If you aren't vaccinated, prepare your anus. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Can we do the two button guy sweating again?  

Left---Uptick in vaccines continues and we finally reach herd immunity in Autumn of 2021.

Right---Status Quo.  500,000 more Qanon people painfully die of Covid-19 for little to no reason.