COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

got mine yesterday at the hospital i work at, a little fatigued afterwards but probably due more to the weekend than the vaccine. no fever, or much soreness today. when we received it, we had to scan to a link that will monitor our symptoms for the next week or so. scheduled to get my second one on 1/12. hopefully still alive and kicking to get the second one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

SIAP, but thought this was a big deal:

Pfizer, U.S. Reach Deal to Boost Covid-19 Vaccine Supply

From that article:

“This new federal purchase can give Americans even more confidence that we will have enough supply to vaccinate every American who wants it by June 2021,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said.

So, maybe June at the latest even for young folks in good heath.  I'll take it.  This school year is trashed but at least everyone will have a chance to get the vax prior to the next school year.

• Hook 'Em 3

The body creates many, many different antibodies to the spike protein of the coronavirus. So multiple mutations to that protein would have to occur for the vaccine to cease working. And those multiple mutations to the spike protein would have to work in a way to still allow the virus to enter the cell.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I’ve read that there have been over 12,000 mutations of this virus. Hand it to the media to run this and cause more panic.

top notch reporting. While this mutation is more transmissible, the questioning of the efficacy of the vaccine will only cause even more chaos.

Edited by pearlandhorn

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve assumed that Fauci took the moderna vaccine to demonstrate that people shouldn’t be worried about which vaccine they receive. 

Because NIH partnered in the development.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/fauci-other-top-health-officials-receive-moderna-vaccine-camera-n1252073

"I'm doing it because I want to symbolize to people the importance that everyone gets vaccinated who can get vaccinated, but also it's a good feeling of accomplishment, because this originated in laboratories in my institute," Fauci said

So when the new super spread strain that’s in the UK right now gets here, we start all over again?  

What seems to be the most amazing result of this new vaccine production process is how much faster we will react to new strains. For example, back in October while responding to a story on the vaccine currently being administered worldwide the UT Austin lab threw in something like “this process is so much faster than the older methods that we already have the next vaccine candidate ready for testing after identifying the next super spreader strain. This would normally take 12-18 months.”(Paraphrasing)

I’ll try to find the article again and post a link.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Mez2 said:

got mine yesterday at the hospital i work at, a little fatigued afterwards but probably due more to the weekend than the vaccine. no fever, or much soreness today. when we received it, we had to scan to a link that will monitor our symptoms for the next week or so. scheduled to get my second one on 1/12. hopefully still alive and kicking to get the second one. 

Man, they let any slapdick get it these days. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hornian said:

Man, they let any slapdick get it these days. 

Just got the Pfizer shot - first one.  Bro-in-law is an MD at a small local hospital and because so many slapdick employees are refusing the vaccine, they have extra supply they need to get rid of.  Need to go back on 1/13 for shot 2. The nurse who popped me told me to avoid alcohol for a week.  When I gave her the "it's 12/23" eyeroll she just smiled and said that wasn't a hard and fast rule.

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

No, it was because Fauci knows the Pfizer vaccine has the Bill Gates chip in it 

Dude, it's Christmastime...not cool to make fun of the fucking morons that permeate this site who think that Bill Gates theory is actually a real thing. 

They at least have the decency to hide their idiotic beliefs on here unlike texags.  

Remember that Qanon is not meant as an alternative to modern polity constructs. But rather as a soft landing spot for those that cannot take responsibility for their own lives.  

7 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Just got the Pfizer shot - first one.  Bro-in-law is an MD at a small local hospital and because so many slapdick employees are refusing the vaccine, they have extra supply they need to get rid of.  Need to go back on 1/13 for shot 2. The nurse who popped me told me to avoid alcohol for a week.  When I gave her the "it's 12/23" eyeroll she just smiled and said that wasn't a hard and fast rule.

Or maybe, “it’s not a rule at all about alcohol and I’m just making shit up”.  Glad you were able to get a vaccine.  Fuck the slapdick asshole employees refusing vaccine.  

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545?query=featured_home

Not sure where else to post this so I’m putting it here since I think it has important implications for vaccine efficacy.

Here’s the short version of this study out yesterday in the NEJM...

The folks at Oxford teaching hospitals in England checked about 12,000 hospital staff for antibodies to COVID starting in March.  They found about 1200 people who had COVID antibodies, and the rest (about 11,000) didn’t.  Then, they did PCR nose swabs if anyone had symptoms of COVID AND every 2 weeks on everybody (even asymptomatic).  They did this for about 8 months.  

So of those 11,000 people who didn’t have antibodies, 223 tested positive for COVID during the 6-8 months of follow up.  (100 were asymptomatic and 123 had symptoms)

And those 1200 who had antibodies...2 documented PCR positive tests.  Both asymptomatic.

So this is strong evidence, in my eyes, that antibodies to COVID (whether through prior infection in this study or vaccination) are protective against getting COVID at all and not just SYMPTOMATIC COVID.  

So, if you are immune, you hopefully don’t need to worry as much about potentially having an asymptomatic COVID infection and then spread it to a non-immune person

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I was lucky to get the vaccine the other day.  Pfizer. No big deal. For the flu vaccine I normally get slight pain at the injection site for a day. Let’s call it a pain level of 1, very mild discomfort. For the Pfizer vaccine, the pain at the injection site was a 2 if I pressed on it, and it lasted 2 days. No other side effect. Summary: not quite as easy as the flu vaccine but very happy I went thru with it.

I’m looking forward to shot 2 in little over 2 weeks from now. 

31 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Am wondering when we’ll be in line to get our shots. We both are 75+, and I have heart disease (2 attacks and 4 stent implants). Live in Wilco.

Are you a current patient of a hospital system, or a patient of a doc who works directly for a hospital system? Today, hospitals seem to be the main conduit for the vaccine. Or at least they will be opening up vaccines to patients as early as this week.  I don’t see sole practitioner docs or small groups getting vaccines for patients. I assume their patients will be sent to cvs.

what will be tough is that some will need to realize that they might not be first in line as others are more sick than them. Or they have a higher potential for hospitalization for covid. At the end the the day, there just isn’t enough doses today for every person that meets the definition of needing the vaccine ASAP. I’m trying to get my mom to understand that even though she’s 78 with some health problems that doesn’t automatically put her first in line.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm spending Christmas in a rural area. If the rest of the rural areas are like this one, there should be plenty of vaccine availability for those that want it. I've been warned by everyone about the side effects (details are scarce)
Well I will be a voice of reason for you. No significant side effects for me, my wife, about 4 dozen co-workers that I know of. So that should push your concerns back quite a bit. PM me for any details on the lack of any side effects.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:
46 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:
I'm spending Christmas in a rural area. If the rest of the rural areas are like this one, there should be plenty of vaccine availability for those that want it. I've been warned by everyone about the side effects (details are scarce)

Well I will be a voice of reason for you. No significant side effects for me, my wife, about 4 dozen co-workers that I know of. So that should push your concerns back quite a bit. PM me for any details on the lack of any side effects.

I don't think he had doubts...more that the folks he is encountering in rural areas have doubts but when pressed to substantiate those doubts have little to offer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Am not sick, just curious, but would like to start making some travel plans for the summer.

we are both with doctors in the Baylor Scott & White system.

Has BS&W sent you any information about it? They should be planning how or if they are planning to vaccinate their current patients. 

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Am wondering when we’ll be in line to get our shots. We both are 75+, and I have heart disease (2 attacks and 4 stent implants). Live in Wilco.

I was visiting the hospital off Whitestone and the toll and the employees still have not been vaccinated. I think she said they are starting on Tuesday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ben Taub had excess vaccines last sunday. They opened it up to the public and ran out sunday afternoon. Methodist did the same thing but still hasnt run out

HCA had too many vaccines as well (a fuck ton of people there opted out) and opened it up to the public all last week and still has doses for anyone that wants one.

Shocking that distribution already sounds like a clusterfuck in places.  Frankly they should take about 2-3 more weeks and try to get in the arms of as many medical/front line type workers and olds (especially assisted care facilities) as they can and then let her rip and start allocating based on demand rather than some hierarchy.  The goal should quickly become getting it into as many arms as possible rather than particular arms.....pooling principle.   I get the good intentions of how they have staged this out, but good intentions and poor performance is poor performance.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

This is my hope for an early appointment.  They might only send 17 vials to Wyoming and I’ll still have some hope that one of them (two of em) are for me. 

The piece that seems to be missing right now is some website or app that helps connect people who want the vaccine to people who can give them that vaccine.  Right now we don't need that because they are tightly controlling who gets it and most of the people getting it work in healthcare so they are close to the provider.  Once Phase 1A is over and we move to 65+ or 16-65 with some condition, we will need the connector piece.

Ideally it would work just like the voting map, show a list of locations and a green, yellow, or red status, with a link to make an appointment.

I think we are all going to be playing a game of find-the-shot in a month or two.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ben Taub had excess vaccines last sunday. They opened it up to the public and ran out sunday afternoon. Methodist did the same thing but still hasnt run out

HCA had too many vaccines as well (a fuck ton of people there opted out) and opened it up to the public all last week and still has doses for anyone that wants one.

So how do i get one of these excess vaccines?! 

37 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

The piece that seems to be missing right now is some website or app that helps connect people who want the vaccine to people who can give them that vaccine.  Right now we don't need that because they are tightly controlling who gets it and most of the people getting it work in healthcare so they are close to the provider.  Once Phase 1A is over and we move to 65+ or 16-65 with some condition, we will need the connector piece.

Ideally it would work just like the voting map, show a list of locations and a green, yellow, or red status, with a link to make an appointment.

I think we are all going to be playing a game of find-the-shot in a month or two.

Yep, there should be wait for it......an app for that.  

41 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

This. 

So how do i get one of these excess vaccines?! 

If you live in a smaller town, I would recommend calling the local pharmacy and letting them know you are interested. My wife is a pharmacy manager in a smaller town and they are receiving ten vials of the Moderna vaccine. After it has been mixed, it is only good for 6 hours, so she has to have a set group of people before she ever mixes it. Since it is a small town, she’s going to have a hard time lining up 10 people at a time to take it to use up all of the vial. She’s been told not to waste any doses even if she has to go out into the store to recruit people to take it. She will have to have a list of folks like you who want it and are willing to come in and take it if she needs help filling out the ten folks for a vial.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This post is complete bullshit.  Can you show one shred of evidence that these hospitals have started giving out vaccines to the public. You previously posted a link to schedule a vaccine at Methodist but that was for employees only.  

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This post is complete bullshit.  Can you show one shred of evidence that these hospitals have started giving out vaccines to the public. You previously posted a link to schedule a vaccine at Methodist but that was for employees only.  

Lol no it wasnt. I have friends (docs, nurses, scrub techs, people that work at Bloomberg, a friend who is a lawyer, and more) that have all received the vaccine already from that link (at methodist... not sent to them by me but by mutual friends) and by simply showing up to those facilities (HCA, ben taub, methodist) as word got out that they had excess.

Im not a methodist employee and got mine. Not only do they not care, but they have extra. 

like i said 2 weeks ago, the vaccine distribution in this country is fucking hilariously pathetic and asinine. How/why we havent prepared for this with every second of every day for the past 9 months is beyond me

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol no it wasnt. I have friends (docs, nurses, scrub techs, people that work at Bloomberg, a friend who is a lawyer, and more) that have all received the vaccine already from that link (at methodist... not sent to them by me but by mutual friends) and by simply showing up to those facilities (HCA, ben taub, methodist) as word got out that they had excess.

Im not a methodist employee and got mine. Not only do they not care, but they have extra. 

like i said 2 weeks ago, the vaccine distribution in this country is fucking hilariously pathetic and asinine. How/why we havent prepared for this with every second of every day for the past 9 months is beyond me

So, no evidence.  Maybe you snuck into an employee line to get a vaccine. Doesn’t mean that they won’t realize what you’re doing and won’t give you a second dose.  Or maybe you can convince someone to give you a dose.  Good luck with that. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

someone earlier in the thread mentioned vaccine finder:

https://vaccinefinder.org

pretty much exactly what I want except they are not covering COVID yet and there is no real-time display of availability.