COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

I walked in and got dose 1 of Pfizer in Killeen. Someone that used to work with my SIL gave us the heads up that there were a bunch of no shows today and to come down. I think there were as many walk-ins as appointments while we were there (two different check in stations). It’s pretty weird that I’m getting a shot before my 65 YO mom (her appointment is tomorrow).

The second dose stuff is a little sketchy. They said to call in a week or two to make an appointment, because the number isn’t working yet, and they don’t know when they will have their second doses available. 

Elementary school teacher daughter (no pics but there were some on TOS) got a tip that Tarrant County was allowing teachers to get vaccines.  She was able to get one yesterday.

Brief sigh of relief given that her school has had a pretty significant outbreak over the last week.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the 1B designation is gonna cause problems, the qualifying conditions are too broad.  just say over 65 "yes" and under 65 "no" for now until it gets smoother.

This is right. If you are “essential” you’ve had opportunities by now to get your dose.

Age is the best (only?) common denominator that works as a clear and bright line with no judgement involved as to who/who shouldn’t be up to bat, while still providing some sort of statistically likely way to be protecting our most vulnerable.

• Like 1

^^ That would be covered by Brisket's 10% standby list

Standby lists are a logistical nightmare though. People would just get on every standby list they can until they get a call, and you know they're not going to call the 20 other places whose list they're on. It might reduce waste some, but it'd be an administrative nightmare for small shops that already have capacity issues. We did that for day cared when we moved. When I called the others to let them know we found a place and to remove us from their wait-list, they said I was the first person ever to do that.

I don't know. There's no easy answers. It's a delicate balance between not wasting doses and speed. And it's going to be complicated even more by the fact that our federal government lied about the national stockpile

12 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I have a feeling a lot of us won’t be getting our second dose on time. Fuck this fucking administration. What a total fuck up from the very beginning in pretty much all facets of dealing with this pandemic 

I'm just a dipshit on a message board, but try not to panic about that.  There's no clinical data that says you won't have immunity protection for a few weeks (the 21/28 day gap for the 2nd shot was mostly arbitrary for the clinical trials - you can't have a huge gap for these trial visits or you have patients dropping out and then no 2nd shot at all to study the effect).  Chances are you are fine for 3-4 months, maybe longer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SizzleChest said:

I'm just a dipshit on a message board, but try not to panic about that.  There's no clinical data that says you won't have immunity protection for a few weeks (the 21/28 day gap for the 2nd shot was mostly arbitrary for the clinical trials - you can't have a huge gap for these trial visits or you have patients dropping out and then no 2nd shot at all to study the effect).  Chances are you are fine for 3-4 months, maybe longer.

Already been told by 2 docs that at least 2 to 3 weeks AFTER the 28 day window you are still good.

The Pfizer temp requirement is a major hurdle in this whole thing.  Like I mentioned with my TC experience you could replicate that lots of places (they also had a very smooth and easy to use online system and a system that assigns you to a site close to your general area with a time window to make an effort to arrive in) BUT you can't use convention centers, stadiums etc easily with Pfizer.  It's going to continue to be the challenge that the places that can keep Pfizer are not necessarily the places best suited to put Disney style people moving logistics in place.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

JNJ should release their efficacy data soon.  Production issues they are dealing with aside, will be a game changer potentially. One dose. Storage considerations much easier to deal with. Only problem is gonna be the zombies. 
I think it was released this past week

1 hour ago, midtown said:
3 hours ago, Anastasis said:
JNJ should release their efficacy data soon.  Production issues they are dealing with aside, will be a game changer potentially. One dose. Storage considerations much easier to deal with. Only problem is gonna be the zombies. 

I think it was released this past week

I saw antibody production response data (promising), but not endpoint data. 

So I’ll chime in to say that everything on the last couple of pages is spot on about APH.  I got fed up and called the “interim” directors office and the admin actually called back, but just told me the same shit.  She was very nice and I appreciated her for doing that.  It a clusterfuck at Delco for sure. 

To make it a better story - my mom texted me last night that Parkland in Dallas announced they were doing 1200 doses of the Pfizer both this morning and tomorrow morning starting at 6am - first come first served and only over 65(I think on that).  They got there at 4am and were given a ticket they were in group 2 and to come back between 7-9.  They are guaranteed a shot this morning.  I’m thankful.  My mom was in a really bad place.

so FYI for you Dallas folks over 65 or with parents up there.   Do it tomorrow.  Get up early.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m not defending stupid local decisions but the main mistakes are largely at the federal and state level. There was no plan or understanding what organizations were going to receive doses and how many. And no one is prepared to take on providing 100s of thousands (millions?) of doses with uncertainty of funding.

the federal and state plan seems to be that they assumed that local hospitals, pharmacies and county officials will figure it out on the fly with no coordination between anyone.

And as difficult as this is to believe, Texas looks to be handling this best among many states despite our state govt. it also is drastically improving every day.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m not defending stupid local decisions but the main mistakes are largely at the federal and state level. There was no plan or understanding what organizations were going to receive doses and how many. And no one is prepared to take on providing 100s of thousands (millions?) of doses with uncertainty of funding.

the federal and state plan seems to be that they assumed that local hospitals, pharmacies and county officials will figure it out on the fly with no coordination between anyone.

And as difficult as this is to believe, Texas looks to be handling this best among many states despite our state govt. it also is drastically improving every day.

I will agree to a point.  We are all frustrated mainly because we don’t want to see us or loved ones die.

I actually get the hub concept.  But how in the hell do we not have a functioning website?  It’s 2021.  By god, there are HS kids that could setup a registration site better than the garbage APH has rolled out.  And they would do it for a grade and no money.  Austin must have some cheap crappy 3rd party company and they are failing miserably.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

I will agree to a point.  We are all frustrated mainly because we don’t want to see us or loved ones die.

I actually get the hub concept.  But how in the hell do we not have a functioning website?  It’s 2021.  By god, there are HS kids that could setup a registration site better than the garbage APH has rolled out.  And they would do it for a grade and no money.  Austin must have some cheap crappy 3rd party company and they are failing miserably.  

It’s easier said than done to build a website and backend system that manages scheduling, registration, appointments, check-ins, notifications, second appointments. And the system needs to be prepared for 100x traffic than the number of appointments available. It’s a bit more than recording your name and address.

However I agree that the 1000s of Texas vaccine locations, as a group, did a bad job in organizing.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s easier said than done to build a website and backend system that manages scheduling, registration, appointments, check-ins, notifications, second appointments. And the system needs to be prepared for 100x traffic than the number of appointments available. It’s a bit more than recording your name and address.

However I agree that the 1000s of Texas vaccine locations, as a group, did a bad job in organizing.

H 👏 E 👏 B 👏 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t think that is true. You got hundreds/thousands of vaccination sites that are ready to roll if they have vax to put in arms. They cover every inch of this state from rural to urban and suburban. We made a decision at state level to funnel the supply to hubs like APH while the freezers sit empty at these sites. We never made an effort to really use the states pharmacy network to drive the vaccine distribution to the public. Once 1a was done we shifted to this hub approach. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

True, but It just takes $ and I'm familiar with public IT budgets enough to know the funds are available.  It's a healthy dose of "not my problem" mixed with "we cam do it better ourselves" thrown  into a roux of "resistance to change" that builds a recipe for what we are seeing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, HalfSack Horn said:

they weren't planning on rolling out a website initially and then got caught with their pants down.

2 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

I like a lot of what Biden just proposed to get more vaccines out (national guard, enlist retired doctors, etc), but the mixed messages are nuts as he’s proposing local pharmacies.

this issue isn't getting national guard and others to help(current admin already said they were going to use national guard, Biden is just parroting there).  The issue is it takes time to ramp production to the demand given raw materials LT and the transportation supply chain requirements.   Anyone who knows manufacturing and supply chain understands.  this will likely take another month or so to smooth out.

Does anyone know what "lead time" is to produce one vax once you have the raw materials?

Got first dose a week ago.  I only had a really sore arm for 24 hrs.  We have had one person (My PA) w issues with numbness/tingling of all 4 extremities.  Went away in 48 hrs.  That’s only person out of several hundred that needed to miss a day or hit the ER.  
If you can get it, I suggest getting it.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this issue isn't getting national guard and others to help(current admin already said they were going to use national guard, Biden is just parroting there).  The issue is it takes time to ramp production to the demand given raw materials LT and the transportation supply chain requirements.   Anyone who knows manufacturing and supply chain understands.  this will likely take another month or so to smooth out.

Does anyone know what "lead time" is to produce one vax once you have the raw materials?

Vaccines are there.  Pfizer has a however many million ready to roll out.  And while the currently manufactured millions roll out they can easily produce more.  It’s been a disaster w communication.  I’ll leave the CR part out of it.  Also as Anastasis noted others on the way that are easier to store / administer (one dose).  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Got first dose a week ago.  I only had a really sore arm for 24 hrs.  We have had one person (My PA) w issues with numbness/tingling of all 4 extremities.  Went away in 48 hrs.  That’s only person out of several hundred that needed to miss a day or hit the ER.  
If you can get it, I suggest getting it.   

wife had the same about 48 hour sore arm but with slight headache(which could be allergies or anything).  the second dose is supposed to be a bit worse but no one should hesitate.  plus your phone will now sync to your brain via bluetooth! win win.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

wife had the same about 48 hour sore arm but with slight headache(which could be allergies or anything).  the second dose is supposed to be a bit worse but no one should hesitate.  plus your phone will now sync to your brain via bluetooth! win win.

Haha, yes - key note...if you already had it the first dose is where you’ll likely feel crappy.  Glad it wasn’t bad for her.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Vaccines are there.  Pfizer has a however many million ready to roll out.  And while the currently manufactured millions roll out they can easily produce more.  It’s been a disaster w communication.  I’ll leave the CR part out of it.  Also as Anastasis noted others on the way that are easier to store / administer (one dose).  

they need to open up to all 65 and over and none 65 and under for now.  I agree the states need to make all the info public and not try to do things surreptitiously. just get needles in arms of the elderly.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

I walked in and got dose 1 of Pfizer in Killeen. Someone that used to work with my SIL gave us the heads up that there were a bunch of no shows today and to come down. I think there were as many walk-ins as appointments while we were there (two different check in stations). It’s pretty weird that I’m getting a shot before my 65 YO mom (her appointment is tomorrow).

The second dose stuff is a little sketchy. They said to call in a week or two to make an appointment, because the number isn’t working yet, and they don’t know when they will have their second doses available. 

We have done this at several nursing homes we are vaccinating.  End of day if they’re left over you’re making frantic calls to make sure you don’t waste any.  Have done over 10000 and none wasted that I know of.  Some people are almost crying when they get the call to hurry in - kind of crazy to see - as many of us in healthcare have become numb to it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1