COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

MLK Day thing aside (I'm sure the nurses tending to the surge in people in their hospitals would like that day off also) I would HOPE that once supply really opens up that the hub/mass vax places start working a little outside the normal banking hours.  The way to make it less crowded and more accessible to all is to run from 7am-8pm or something to that effect Saturdays and (god forbid) Sundays included.  Right now many of those type places are 9-5 or 9-4 M-F operations.  

I also wonder if anybody has considered the idea of using hubs/hospitals for first doses and more distributed facilities for second doses.  Again Pfizer storage temp an issue but given there is the 3 or 4 week wait and eventually the building chaos of people trying to still get first doses while people are trying to come back for second doses if anybody has thought through the notion of not crossing the streams.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cement said:

% of shots used absolutely means something whether per capita is included or not.

I’m talking about number of shots, as referenced by the comparison to cal, not percentage given. 

Edited by Dbeasy

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

MLK Day thing aside (I'm sure the nurses tending to the surge in people in their hospitals would like that day off also) I would HOPE that once supply really opens up that the hub/mass vax places start working a little outside the normal banking hours.  The way to make it less crowded and more accessible to all is to run from 7am-8pm or something to that effect Saturdays and (god forbid) Sundays included.  Right now many of those type places are 9-5 or 9-4 M-F operations.  

I also wonder if anybody has considered the idea of using hubs/hospitals for first doses and more distributed facilities for second doses.  Again Pfizer storage temp an issue but given there is the 3 or 4 week wait and eventually the building chaos of people trying to still get first doses while people are trying to come back for second doses if anybody has thought through the notion of not crossing the streams.

Here in IL we schedule the second dose every time we give the first.  That’s in the dozens of places we have done - now at this point we start second dosing next week and have no issues that we have heard about getting the deliveries we were promised.  We are NOT doing anyone’s round 1 as we start round 2.  I guess some places could mix the 2 up but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.  

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Zero excuse.  There’s plenty of nurses that would be happy to do it.  Pay them double OT.  Whatever it takes.  That’s pathetic.  

its City of Dallas...its expected.

it would actually be a great time to do it because people are off work and could help get older relatives to the location but...

Edited by dcar00

Norway has expressed increasing concern about the safety of the Pfizer Inc. vaccine on elderly people with serious underlying health conditions after raising their estimate of the number who died after receiving inoculations to 29....

...The findings have prompted Norway to suggest that Covid-19 vaccines may be too risky for the very old and terminally ill, the most cautious statement yet from a European health authority.

The Norwegian Institute of Public Health judges that “for those with the most severe frailty, even relatively mild vaccine side effects can have serious consequences. For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant.”

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

its City of Dallas...its expected.

it would actually be a great time to do it because people are off work and could help get older relatives to the location but...

Well, that's actually Dallas County you should be blaming since that's who Jenkins works for and the County is in charge of the vaccine rollout. The same rollout that I signed my 77 year old mother with preexisting conditions up for and she's heard nothing since. Thankfully, she also signed up through Parkland and got an appointment for Monday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas Week 6 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week6.pdf

Travis Co is all APH all the time, with a smidge more for UT.  Wilco getting 6000 doses at Family Emergency Rooms Cedar Park, about half of Travis's allocation.

Only additional providers are primarily indigent care facilities. 

So MIL and mom got shots this week through Methodist.  Mom on Thursday, MIL today.  Pfizer.   Mother at the Fannin location, MIL at Greenbriar/Braeswood.

Mom's deal was "stand in this line for 5 min in this narrow hallway," hand in the short form, then "go stand in this other line for 20 min in another narrow hallway," get the shot, then "go wait 15 min in that little room by yourself."  Some concerns about the 30 minute wait in a narrow hallway but spacing was observed and everything was being policed/monitored. 

MIL today was just a shit show.  The facility had been locked down so it only had one entrance - through the parking garage.  Cars were lined up 6 blocks back to get in there.  45 min wait (easy) just to get in the garage.  So we dropped MIL off, but they made her go into the garage anyway and stand in a totally unregulated line that stretched around the bottom floor of the garage, then inside down a long (but relatively wide) breezeway-style hallway to the other end of the building.  The line took her about 30 minutes - which was a lot faster than I expected, but plenty of people with the "no mask it's outside" thing in the garage part, plenty more just coming up to folks and socializing - nobody monitoring or watching.  She gave the form, they took her to a chair and she got the shot.  Then sent to a huge conference room where 50-75 people were sitting for the 15 minute "anaphylaxis" period.   Again, no one policing the room and people were just milling around socializing, not observing the 6 feet rule.  So she wanted to leave, but they had stamped a time on her shot record and the guard at the exit door wouldn't let her leave until he took the paper, and compared the time to a clock on the wall next to the door and saw at least 15 minutes had passed.

I don't understand the lines and wait since everyone has a specific time for their appointment - but I bet a lot of people were late because of the wait on Greenbriar to get into the garage.

Of course, my other elders are all scheduled for next Saturday at the same place as MIL.  As is my mom for second shot.  

Looks like supply isn't really picking up at all yet.  Looking at hub and additional providers in the link Anastasis posted Tarrant County is getting ~29,500 doses this week.  According to the state dashboard data 4 weeks ago 4,839 doses reported administered, 3 weeks ago 15,258.  I can't find mix of Pfizer Moderna, but let's just conservatively assume that there are 8K second doses that need to be administered (and let's for a moment assume they will be). That leaves ~21K for first doses.  That ain't a whole lot in a county that has 1.6M 16+ people to vaccinate.  

Harris getting 46,600 with probably a whole lot more second doses to give and more than twice as many 16+ year olds as Tarrant.

Edited by Surly Bevo

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Looks like supply isn't really picking up at all yet.

Federal allocations have been flat for the last three weeks, varying between 317k and 332k first shots for Texas per week.

It's not nothing but it's not growing.  A million first shots every three weeks in a state with ~28 million people.

• Hook 'Em 1

My full time job these days is to try to get my 82 year old mother the 1st shot.  She is in Travis county and I have her on every Brookshire Pharmacy list within 200 miles, Austin Public Health and The Family Emergency room clinic in Wilco.  She was on ARC's list, but they're no longer getting any shots due to the wisdom of the CoA.  It's frustrating for several reasons, but I'm trying to keep my mom's outlook as positive as I can and doing as much of the leg work as I can for her. 

My full time job these days is to try to get my 82 year old mother the 1st shot.  She is in Travis county and I have her on every Brookshire Pharmacy list within 200 miles, Austin Public Health and The Family Emergency room clinic in Wilco.  She was on ARC's list, but they're no longer getting any shots due to the wisdom of the CoA.  It's frustrating for several reasons, but I'm trying to keep my mom's outlook as positive as I can and doing as much of the leg work as I can for her. 

That’s wisdom of the state, not city of Austin, to my understanding.

My mom, 74, is in the Memorial Herman system in Houston. She received an email last week and I made an appointment for her. Took her to NRG and did the drive thru thing. Really easy, took about 45 minutes and that includes the 15 minute wait. Never left the truck. For what I am reading, the way MH is doing seems really seamless. 3 stations, first one is where you usually pay, they check to make sure you have paperwork, second station checks ID and paperwork, third station is shot then wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure how this would work in larger states, but something to be looked at and considered.

West Virginia has emerged as an unlikely success in the nation’s otherwise chaotic vaccine rollout, largely because of the state’s decision to reject a federal partnership with CVS and Walgreens and instead enlist mom-and-pop pharmacies to vaccinate residents against the virus that has killed over 395,000 Americans.

More shots have gone into people’s arms per capita across West Virginia than in any other state, with at least 7.5% of the population receiving the first of two shots, according to federal data.

West Virginia was the first in the nation to finish offering first doses to all long-term care centers before the end of December, and the state expects to give second doses at those facilities by the end of January.

Not sure how this would work in larger states, but something to be looked at and considered.
West Virginia has emerged as an unlikely success in the nation’s otherwise chaotic vaccine rollout, largely because of the state’s decision to reject a federal partnership with CVS and Walgreens and instead enlist mom-and-pop pharmacies to vaccinate residents against the virus that has killed over 395,000 Americans.

More shots have gone into people’s arms per capita across West Virginia than in any other state, with at least 7.5% of the population receiving the first of two shots, according to federal data.

West Virginia was the first in the nation to finish offering first doses to all long-term care centers before the end of December, and the state expects to give second doses at those facilities by the end of January.

Probably because all of those residents already have their own syringes.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Texas Week 6 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week6.pdf

Travis Co is all APH all the time, with a smidge more for UT.  Wilco getting 6000 doses at Family Emergency Rooms Cedar Park, about half of Travis's allocation.

200 doses for all of Kaufman, Henderson, and Van Zandt County. What the fuck!

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Isn’t Kaufman like 30 miles away from Dallas? I imagine many people drive into Dallas for doctors appointments anyway. Or is Dallas only giving the vaccine to their county residents?

45 minutes from the southeast corner of the county. Lots of LTC and homebound people in those 3 counties so there's a demand for it. CVS and Walgreens don't have the support staff to do it and DSHS hasn't released any vaccine to independents. I signed up as a provider months ago and DSHS is still delaying things. 

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

45 minutes from the southeast corner of the county. Lots of LTC and homebound people in those 3 counties so there's a demand for it. CVS and Walgreens don't have the support staff to do it and DSHS hasn't released any vaccine to independents. I signed up as a provider months ago and DSHS is still delaying things. 

Hopefully more vaccines can find their way there soon.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully more vaccines can find their way there soon.

It's all in CA either not being used or usage being poorly reported

Jurisdiction Doses distributed Doses administered  % shots used
U.S. totals 31,161,075 14,306,422 45.9
California 3,548,575 1,303,518 36.7
Texas 2,105,600 1,276,808 60.6
Florida 2,069,175 1,099,535 53.1
New York 1,884,325 999,197 53.0

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Texas isn't going to get more doses because another state is doing a bad job of providing vaccines.

Unfortunately there are not enough vaccine doses yet to cover everyone that are in the eligible groups. It does appear that cities are being prioritized.  But it could also be that based on population density or infection rates, they're only getting their fair share.

It's all in CA either not being used or usage being poorly reported
Jurisdiction Doses distributed Doses administered  % shots used
U.S. totals 31,161,075 14,306,422 45.9
California 3,548,575 1,303,518 36.7
Texas 2,105,600 1,276,808 60.6
Florida 2,069,175 1,099,535 53.1
New York 1,884,325 999,197 53.0

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

lol yes the 2.25mm gap between doses allocated and administered in CA definitely accounts for “all” of the 17mm dose gap in the US. Great detective work there.

This is a nationwide problem.

On 1/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, dcar00 said:

the wait time after wasn't being monitored.  you can leave right away. they just ask you to wait to make sure no reaction happens right away.

100% NOT TRUE at Methodist.  Shot time's on the paper and the door guard compared the paper to his ridiculously huge (think 85" TV) clock and wouldn't open the door unless there were 15 mins between the two.

What the fuck are you all talking about.  I'm just pointing out in a bit of a sarcastic way that a state that is roughly 30% larger in population than Texas has been allocated 75% more doses than Texas and as of yet they don't appear to be administering it as well as Texas.  Yea that doesn't account for the entire nationwide gap but also doesn't make a lot of sense that you would allocate more to a place that is using it LESS efficiently.

22 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

My mom, 74, is in the Memorial Herman system in Houston. She received an email last week and I made an appointment for her. Took her to NRG and did the drive thru thing. Really easy, took about 45 minutes and that includes the 15 minute wait. Never left the truck. For what I am reading, the way MH is doing seems really seamless. 3 stations, first one is where you usually pay, they check to make sure you have paperwork, second station checks ID and paperwork, third station is shot then wait.

This is SOOOO much better than the Methodist system.

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

100% NOT TRUE at Methodist.  Shot time's on the paper and the door guard compared the paper to his ridiculously huge (think 85" TV) clock and wouldn't open the door unless there were 15 mins between the two.

this was at Delco in Austin.