COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Even the most batshit crazy Catholic knows the bible didn't speak to vaccines, abortions, or fetal tissue samples.  They get most of their edicts and commandments from the Church hierarchy, right?  Which is fine.  But doesn't the mere truth that the Church has to constantly convene these ad hoc committees to evaluate every single little nuanced development in science kinda suggest that maybe they're slightly behind what God intended?  They're like Tom Hanks in "He's Mister Short Term Memory" from SNL or Guy Pearce from "Memento."  If they can't maintain their belief system for more than a Big Pharma fiscal quarter, and are constantly saying "Whoah, what the hell is that?  We need a college of Cardinals, stat!"........maybe that means they don't really know what's good for society and maybe stop being so damn preachy.  

Holy shit, the U.S. bishops edict on vaccinations is literally longer than the fucking FDA application to distribute the vaccine.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Anyone know of any open appointments in Houston?

Just roll through the sites at HEB, Walmart, CVS, and Walmart.    They will show you a map based on your zip code, so you can choose multiple stores from one site.  I would look early in the morning.  One appointment I got at 2 AM and the other was around 9 AM.  Both of the appointments I scheduled today were through Walmart. I do not know which vaccine I will be receiving.  I'll take whatever shot they have, but I'm kind of hoping for the Pfizer or Moderna just for that extra percentage of immunity.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Just roll through the sites at HEB, Walmart, CVS, and Walmart.    They will show you a map based on your zip code, so you can choose multiple stores from one site.  I would look early in the morning.  One appointment I got at 2 AM and the other was around 9 AM.  Both of the appointments I scheduled today were through Walmart. I do not know which vaccine I will be receiving.  I'll take whatever shot they have, but I'm kind of hoping for the Pfizer or Moderna just for that extra percentage of immunity.

J&J has South Africa variant exposure and efficacy already, also appears its stronger over time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, troph said:

J&J has South Africa variant exposure and efficacy already, also appears its stronger over time.

Oh, I get it and if that is the shot I get I will not complain.  It will also be much easier to get just one shot so that is nice.  I know it's 100% effective against death and hospitalization and those are the important numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Today, Texas' 7 day average daily 1st shots exceeded the capacity of DKR for the first time.  I know the feds are delivering more vax but we are burning through it plus some of the backlog from the freeze.

Texas is on pace to finish 50% of seniors five days from now and 50% of everyone over 16 by May 10th.
At the 7 day rate, 100% of seniors should have a shot by April 30th and 100% of those over 16 by Aug 21st.

The percentage of shots going to seniors is falling off, now around 37%.  Seniors are still getting shots at about the same numbers each day, but dropping as a percentage of the whole as supply increases.

Travis Co is catching up, but is still about 10 days behind the rest of the state for both seniors and everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can someone please recap the places you can get in while not a 1B?  I’ve read it here before but can’t seem to find it. 

Im out of state for another several weeks but am thinking of trying to get vaccinated when I come home. Employer has me traveling (air) quite a bit and I’m growing tired of taking my chances.  I’m thinking (hoping) in the next several weeks we can be worked thru 1B organically and I’d be closer to legit group anyhow. I definitely don’t want to take grandmas shot, but I don’t want to accidentally give it to others while I’m traveling all over. Fuck Covid. 

Now that we are vaccinated, looking into risk tolerance for the kids.  Seems fairly straightforward, couple sites list 200 deaths and 3 million positive tests for minors. The one thing that I’m not finding too much on is whether kids or even adults on the autism spectrum have any more issues than the general public with severe illness, death, or long haul sickness. 

23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Anyone know of any open appointments in Houston?

Check every day at 6am, 1 pm and 11pm every day on Heb.com.  Be ready to drive anywhere in the city.  If you can't get it within 5 seconds from the moment you see one come available you're too slow. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Can someone please recap the places you can get in while not a 1B?  I’ve read it here before but can’t seem to find it. 

Im out of state for another several weeks but am thinking of trying to get vaccinated when I come home. Employer has me traveling (air) quite a bit and I’m growing tired of taking my chances.  I’m thinking (hoping) in the next several weeks we can be worked thru 1B organically and I’d be closer to legit group anyhow. I definitely don’t want to take grandmas shot, but I don’t want to accidentally give it to others while I’m traveling all over. Fuck Covid. 

Username does not check out?

• Like 1

Got the Moderna first dose yesterday around 2:00 pm. Had our “normal” Friday night TexMex with margaritas and beer.

Ran a decent 5 miler this morning and have been knocked on my ass all day.

Probably would avoid same day alcohol next time.

Or avoid the run but keep the alcohol.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I got mine last week at HEB. You fill out the form and that’s it’s. They don’t ask any questions. They didn’t even ask to see my drivers license.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Just got home from COTA, for the wife.  (teacher, thank you Biden, fuck you Abbott)

Packed house, but fairly efficient. Only negative was a fat girl with her mask around her neck directing traffic in the post-shot waiting area.  

Round trip from 78748 was 2.5 hours.

So you got your shot and rolled up your window to wait in the post shot area and the lady outside not having a mask on directing cars bothered you?  Or am I missing something did she stick her head in your car and talk to you or something?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

So you got your shot and rolled up your window to wait in the post shot area and the lady outside not having a mask on directing cars bothered you?  Or am I missing something did she stick her head in your car and talk to you or something?

I think it was the fact that he saw a fat chick and her face and it ruined an otherwise nice day. It would bother me too. 

Here's allocated does vs actual shots as of today.  The blue line is first shots, the orange line is second shots.  The solid lines are the federal allocation for Texas and the dotted lines are shots-in-arms.  The lines curved upwards this week because of the J&J vaccine.  Since only one dose of J&J is needed per person, it moves both the "first shot" and "fully vax" lines.

The actual shot lines are tracking the allocation lines with a time delay, which tells me that we are still supply-constrained.

The solid lines show only doses that the feds have already promised to deliver.  Weekly allocations are usually released on Tuesday and move the lines upward.  But you can see where we are headed.

TxVaxAlloc0307.jpg

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

It's been discussed extensively. All we know so far is that antibodies are less effective but that both still provide significant protection against infection and almost eliminate severe disease. 

To add to this, the vax data generally suggest good coverage against the variants. Further, Moderna has already developed a B.1.351 variant vaccine and shipped it to NIH. There are some early indications that protection against the SA variant will also confer protection to other variants as well as the original strains, so a B.1.351 based booster might be able to hit them all.  I think that the BI article reads as scaremongering.  We appear to have some overhead given how effective the MRNA based shots are at eliciting an immune response, so even if the neutralization of the SA variant is reduced, we are probably still be alright. Get shots in arms, let the nerds work to update the vaccines while the data on effectiveness to prevent disease and serious outcomes continue to be collected, pivot with an updated booster if necessary.   

See: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102017

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, StruggleBus said:

I completely agree. Zero specifics, but plenty of doom and gloom. 

Yeah, that conclusion was cemented when I read "Pfizer's and Moderna's shots were at least 10 times less effective against variant in a new study." in the bullet point lead in. Effectiveness of the vaccines is measured in terms of prevention of symptomatic disease in the trials. As you point out, the really meaningful outcomes to assess effectiveness are severe disease and mortality. At best the neutralizing titers are a surrogate endpoint, analogous to cholesterol levels in the setting of cardiovascular disease.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:46 PM, stupidgringo said:

Thank you! Just registered for the 11th. Easy peasy.

Received the shot earlier today.   Easy process and done in less than 30 minutes.

Showed up 20 minutes early and walked right in.  Filled out 2 forms and then sent to a room to get the shot.  I would suggest you to bring a pen for the forms.   After the shot, you walk across the street to wait 15 minutes.  

If you see a line, at the person at the door where you should go if you since you have an appointment.  They are not turning down anyone so they have a separate line for the people they are working in. 

Moderna was the vaccine type.  

• Hook 'Em 2

City of Graham is giving shot 1 of moderna to anyone over the age of 18. No 1a, 1b, etc. 

This Thursday and Friday at the high school auditorium. 

Round 2 will be the week of April 5th. 

If any of you surly live near Graham and have not been vaccinated, this is your chance. 

Edited by YoungCounty
Spelling

Just now, YoungCounty said:

City of Graham is giving shot 1 of moderna to anyone over the age of 18. No 1a, 1b, etc. 

This Thursday and Friday at the high school auditorium. 

Round 2 will be the week of April 5th. 

If any of you surly live near Graham and have not been vaccinated, this is your chance. 

thumbnail.jpg?version=636845464623148690

• Like 3
  • Haha 1