COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Well, wouldn’t that be good for business. Why not just make this an annual revenue stream for themselves? 

What’s your point? Unless you think Pfizer had a choice between developing a vaccine with temporary immunity or permanent immunity and willingly chose the former.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I'm honestly surprised they haven't rolled out a Premium Vaccine yet. "It's like the AMEX Black of vaccines, you know."

Some people here are holding out for the vaccine you can only get in the Champagne Room.

Edited by Brisketexan

On 4/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, GopherRock said:

Moderna Round 2 this morning. So far, just a sore arm. Very pleased to get the second shot.

Moderna #2 yesterday, as well.  Slight soreness at the injection spot, followed by a restless night of chills. Today, greater discomfort is up into the front of my shoulder and I’ve felt really lousy all day ... chills and overall discomfort continue.

Of course annual allergies don’t help ...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

What’s your point? Unless you think Pfizer had a choice between developing a vaccine with temporary immunity or permanent immunity and willingly chose the former.

Pretty interesting to see people attack the specific segments of the industry that translated the foundational science to a real world preventative treatment for COVID in under 8 months. Plenty of poo to fling at Pharma in general and Pfizer in particular, but not sure that the COVID vax is what I would center those arguments around. Maybe just take a breath and appreciate the ability to go to a concert or sit in a beer pub or hug your at risk parents, and sit this particular round out. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just saw this article. 

Pfizer CEO says third Covid vaccine dose likely needed within 12 months

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Thursday people will “likely” need a booster dose of a Covid-19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated.

He also said it’s possible people will need to get vaccinated against the virus annually.

“It is extremely important to suppress the pool of people that can be susceptible to the virus,” he told CNBC’s Bertha Coombs during an event with CVS Health. He added the vaccines will be an important tool in the fight against highly contagious variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer-ceo-says-third-covid-vaccine-dose-likely-needed-within-12-months.html

I misread this in a way that made me extremely uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just saw this article. 

Pfizer CEO says third Covid vaccine dose likely needed within 12 months

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Thursday people will “likely” need a booster dose of a Covid-19 vaccine within 12 months of getting fully vaccinated.

He also said it’s possible people will need to get vaccinated against the virus annually.

“It is extremely important to suppress the pool of people that can be susceptible to the virus,” he told CNBC’s Bertha Coombs during an event with CVS Health. He added the vaccines will be an important tool in the fight against highly contagious variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/15/pfizer-ceo-says-third-covid-vaccine-dose-likely-needed-within-12-months.html

If Pfizer said “Hey HemeDoc, come back and participate in this trial for our new COVID vaccine booster”, I’d only say “Yes” if it were powered for clinical endpoints (not immunologic endpoints).  So half the participants get the booster and half get placebo and let’s see who gets more sick with more COVID.  

• Like 1

Just now, Heme Doc said:

If Pfizer said “Hey HemeDoc, come back and participate in this trial for our new COVID vaccine booster”, I’d only say “Yes” if it were powered for clinical endpoints (not immunologic endpoints).  So half the participants get the booster and half get placebo and let’s see who gets more sick with more COVID.  

Plus, this thing has been going on for over a year.  If immunity only lasts a year, then why aren’t we hearing more about all the re-infections and hospitalizations from people infected a year ago?  Very likely immunity lasts more than a year.   Your antibodies wane a bit over time but we know you’ve got your T cells and memory B cells at the ready to kick ass.  Antibodies are easy to measure but not the only part of the immune system

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

I am getting my antibodies checked at 9 months (June) , and then a couple of days before I got back into Pfizer for my 1 year check

5 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

Plus, this thing has been going on for over a year.  If immunity only lasts a year, then why aren’t we hearing more about all the re-infections and hospitalizations from people infected a year ago?  Very likely immunity lasts more than a year.   Your antibodies wane a bit over time but we know you’ve got your T cells and memory B cells at the ready to kick ass.  Antibodies are easy to measure but not the only part of the immune system

I read somewhere that they've tested SARS immunity from people who had it and 17 years later it's still there.  

Sometime yesterday, the 10,000,000th Texan got their first shot.  Only about 18,000,000 to go, of that 13,000,000 are over 16.

Travis Co, which was weeks behind the Texas average at the beginning of March, is now surging way ahead.  At current rates, Travis Co will hit 70% first shots about the same time Texas as a whole gets to 50%.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:04 AM, Heme Doc said:

Would likely require an untenable sample size to power to clinical endpoints. 

34 minutes ago, Deej said:

So, we've run out of people who want the shot?

Probably not quite yet in general, though there are probably places where that's the case at this point. Certainly, at this rate, I'd expect that to be the case within the next month or so. Also worth noting that it's not just running out of people that want the shot, but people with limitations on internet access, transportation, language barrier, what have you. The name of the game is shifting to outreach.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Not yet.  By late May, maybe.  Texas is still giving maybe a million first shots per week.  Supply is catching up to demand, but demand is still there.

There is going to be another demand bump when 12-15 year olds are eligible, and another one when elementary kids are eligible, and so on until all ages are covered.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

No, but the battle is still by the ones.  IMO, the most effective vaccine outreach is at the 1:1 level. Meet people where they are, figure out where they are hung up, and try to bring them along. Different talking points for different people based on their specific concerns. You'd be amazed what you can accomplish on an uber ride or while picking out a new pair of frames.  

17 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

So pretty fair chance I got exposed by a dumb shit coworker right after I got my Moderna shot, and 8 day later I have a 102 fever and mild body aches but can still taste and smell. I’m hoping it’s just a sinus infection tripping the fever.

How do you know that your coworker infected you?

On 4/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, Anastasis said:

Over 50% of Americans with first shot in arm. Keep pumping and be an advocate to friends and family.  The battle at this point is by the ones. 

What tracker have you been using?  Is that just eligible adults?

I've been using the Bloomberg and it's showing right at 40%.  Happy for yours to be right, I'm just trying to find the best tracker.

HEB should drop their mask requirement, but then make everyone pass by the pharmacy before shopping and get their shot if not already vaxxed.

Pharmacist was pretty glum, was doing what he could to try to get someone to take the shots. Personally, I think they should have a sign that they put at the entrance that says “COVID vaccines available now, no appointment necessary. Get your shot right now!” I’m thinking at least a few people walking in might see it and say shit, I’ll go do it.

He told me that if you want to drop in after 3:00 on any weekday, he said they usually have some shots available. So...if you’re looking for a shot locally, there you go.

3 hours ago, Stringer said:

I've been using the Bloomberg and it's showing right at 40%.  Happy for yours to be right, I'm just trying to find the best tracker.

I've also been using Bloomberg. A few google results say we have about 209 million 18 and olders. So let's say 16 and 17 years add 10 million for a total of 220 million eligible, and Bloomberg shows 212 million doses as of today, that puts us nearer to 50 than 40 percent. But you're right, I wish trackers would include eligible 16 and up and not just full population, which while important to know, isn't fully useful until under 16s start getting vaxxed. 

7 hours ago, Stringer said:

Nyt, cdc, and Bloomberg. I saw that 50% reported in a few different places, but yes that’s among eligible adults. CDC reports the vax rate for 65+, 18+, and full population. 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations