Caribbean Travel Thread

Jhawk

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I wouldn’t think of Villa Marie as necessarily being “kid friendly”. In fact, I wouldn’t really think of anywhere in St Barth being all that kid friendly. Not saying you can’t do kids there (lots of people do), it just doesn’t seem to be a place that really caters to them. It’s pretty grown up across the board 

Yeah.  If people with young kids want the Caribbean I'd says Beaches on Providenciales, T&C is the best spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Deciding btw St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia and St. Barth's.

I love St. Barth, been there many times with my wife, it’s become our home away from home. We’ve always gone as a couple and it caters more to adults, but we have a kid on the way and we fully intend to keep going there often and we want our kid to be a part of that so she can hopefully grow to love it.

That being said, I realize it’s not for everyone, so it all depends what you want to get out of it.

Villa Marie looks like a great hotel (almost stayed there once but plans changed that trip). It’s small like every other hotel in St. Barth so it won’t have a huge resort pool or whatever other amenities the bigger AI resorts on other islands may offer for kids and families, but if you just want peace and relaxation in a beautiful environment, it checks those boxes.

Also keep in mind food can be pricey in St. Barth depending on your tastes.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I love St. Barth, been there many times with my wife, it’s become our home away from home. We’ve always gone as a couple and it caters more to adults, but we have a kid on the way and we fully intend to keep going there often and we want our kid to be a part of that so she can hopefully grow to love it.

That being said, I realize it’s not for everyone, so it all depends what you want to get out of it.

Villa Marie looks like a great hotel (almost stayed there once but plans changed that trip). It’s small like every other hotel in St. Barth so it won’t have a huge resort pool or whatever other amenities the bigger AI resorts on other islands may offer for kids and families, but if you just want peace and relaxation in a beautiful environment, it checks those boxes.

Also keep in mind food can be pricey in St. Barth depending on your tastes.

We met some people our first trip there who were staying at our hotel who brought their 4 year old son. Kid seemed bored and miserable every time we saw them and they were bitching that they wish they’d brought their nanny from home. Hotel was able to get them a babysitter so they could go out a few nights. Again, not saying it can’t be done, it just isn’t a place that really caters to kids much. That said, I’m with you that if I’m y’all, and go every year several times a year, I’m bringing the kid too, at least on one of the trips. Having it grow up with St Barth a part of its life, etc.

Congrats on the pregnancy BTW. When’s she due?

Just got back from St. Kitts and Nevis and wasn’t the biggest fan. Four Seasons is nice and on the Caribbean side, which is important. Marriott beach is covered in seaweed this time of year and is on the Atlantic So not as pretty. Nice people, but pretty third world. Great diving and had good food. Not too much to do. I enjoyed other islands more. 

I’ll defend St Kitts some.  If you’re a hiker there are fantastic trails up and around the volcano.   There’s also an old fort that’s fun for an afternoon.  Beaches are not stellar for sure.  There is some very good dining on the island.  I’d suggest that anyone that goes rent a villa on the south side of the island facing Nevis. 

as far as third world goes we drive all over the island and interacted with locals and never felt unsafe.   It’s a much cleaner island than the shitshiw that is the Dutch side of St Maarten where the local homes resemble a trash heap.  

thanks for the advice. will have to check out St Barts at some point it seems like, but think we will go Four Seasons at Nevis for now. They have a whole set of activities for kids. I confess, I am not much of a beach holiday guy -- vastly prefer going to a city -- but will try and get some real downtime this trip. 

On 6/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, Landomatic said:

Congrats on the pregnancy BTW. When’s she due?

Thanks and Dec 29. My guess is that we will mostly do our usual 1-2 St. Barth trips each year without the kid for a while, then eventually let her tag along for the occasional trip. It's kind of our personal space and I want to protect that time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, 4th&Five said:

Anyone have thoughts on Curacao?

Just saw this. 
Don’t go. People are nice. Lots of Swedish young ladies that work hotels if you’re young and single. Or not. 
Dry ass island without much to do. It was 2017? when we went just not a lot to do or see.  

Edited by Shaddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Heading to Saint Lucia the first week of March. Not really a beach guy but don’t mind spending just one day chilling by the water. Anyone have recommendations for dinner spots/clubs/things to do? Figured we’d hiked the Pitons, too. 

If you drink the local “rum” that’s blood red, prepare to black out. I mean I’d suggest trying it at least once, but know shit’s gonna get weird. It’s a sipper, not a shot but potentially much more fun taken as a shot. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, burns_312 said:

If you drink the local “rum” that’s blood red, prepare to black out. I mean I’d suggest trying it at least once, but know shit’s gonna get weird. It’s a sipper, not a shot but potentially much more fun taken as a shot. Enjoy!

Would you recommend drinking said local “rum” and then trying out snuba diving (combo of snorkeling and scuba)? Might make for an interesting experience.

• 2 months later...

Alright, just returned home from Saint Lucia. Such a beautiful country, with wonderful beaches and spectacular mountain domes. I would recommend to anyone looking to relax by the water to decompress from the stresses of life. If you do go, I highly recommend going to the Friday night street party in Gros Islet. Wonderful food, loud music, and tons of people dancing. There were lots of tourists present so don’t feel like you’ll be out of place among the locals. Overall, it was a great trip. 

• 9 months later...