Belushi

RPM

Whomever is behind this must have a really interesting and honest angle.  Or special insight into who Belushi was, because a lot of those people listed at the 1:30 mark have swore they'd never have anything to do with a John Belushi project and there they all are.  Or they'll all just getting older (or dead themselves), and they realized they should put down the memories of the legend for posterity's sake.    Either way, that says something for the people that put this together. 

So I'm in.  Obviously would prefer to watch it alone, but the wife will hear me laughing and crying from 4 rooms away.  She'll have to see what's so great and it'll be John's impression of Joe Cocker; and she'll be wondering why I always refer to Belushi as a genius, not a comedic genius but an actual genius.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I remember reading his biography soon after his death.  Super funny, pretty damn good football player, and a cocaine habit like a bleached blonde with double DD's, and a sugar daddy.

Same here, been so long ago I don't remember a lot, but I do seem to recall that one of the reasons it was so hard for him to stay clean was people's expectations of him to be that wild and crazy guy all the time.  I can't imagine how funny this dude must have been at parties when he was flying high.

3 minutes ago, Wade said:

Same here, been so long ago I don't remember a lot, but I do seem to recall that one of the reasons it was so hard for him to stay clean was people's expectations of him to be that wild and crazy guy all the time.  I can't imagine how funny this dude must have been at parties when he was flying high.

It was said he cracked up the talent scouts for SNL.  That was something that just didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

that sounds just like Chris Farley as well

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Typical Lorne Michaels. He “wasn’t blown away” by a show with Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, and Harold Ramis. 

Well shit Lorne, I wasn’t impressed with a show with Jerry Seinfeld, Jason Alexander, Michael Richards, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. 

You have to understand Lorne's subtle rancor.  He once presided over a cast that featured Joan Cusack, Terry Sweeney, Danitra Vance, and Dan Vitale.  So it's hard for him to feign excitement about Belushi, Murray, Radner, and Ramis.  

Sarcasm aside, I am really looking forward to watching this over the long holiday weekend. 

Think about this. A comedic actor has the top TV show, top grossing movie, and the best selling album. AT THE SAME TIME. 

I get The Blues Brothers was at best performance art, at worst a gimmick, but they had some good songs and it's a damned good movie. If you can hold your own with Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles, you're a talented musician. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Think about this. A comedic actor has the top TV show, top grossing movie, and the best selling album. AT THE SAME TIME. 

I get The Blues Brothers was at best performance art, at worst a gimmick, but they had some good songs and it's a damned good movie. If you can hold your own with Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles, you're a talented musician. 

That movie gets better as time passes.  40 years now?

Better than I was expecting. RJ Cutler did a fantastic job. It's really hard to imagine what all that sudden fame and the expectations that go along with it would be like to deal with. Can you imagine what Ghostbusters would be like with him in it? Who would he replace?

49 minutes ago, RPM said:

Better than I was expecting. RJ Cutler did a fantastic job. It's really hard to imagine what all that sudden fame and the expectations that go along with it would be like to deal with. Can you imagine what Ghostbusters would be like with him in it? Who would he replace?

The black one.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I suspect Belushi was more confident than Farley and relied less on physical humor. Farley was wildly insecure and used physical comedy and wild ass drugs to compensate. Not sure about origins of Belushi’s drug use but Farley’s was rooted in his anxiety. They actually have quite a bit of similarities and are two of my favorite guys of all time. Ferrell too and he obviously doesn’t have the drug issues. 

I could see Ferrell having some of the robin williams depression issues though, if anything. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

So was Chris Farley.  It's hard to realize when you watch guys like that as a kid, but they really were so young.

Very true....   He died when I was 11 years old where I was kind of getting to  the age where I understood his humor and appreciated it ... 

I do so more than ever because those days on SNL going into the 90's where definitely the best years of the show.  

Of course I was at the age too  where watching repeats of Animal House on HBO was a must to see some boobs.   Pre internet life sucked!  Na, no it didn't.   LOL...

Edited by Nueces River Rat

4 hours ago, RPM said:

He would have been in the cast without a doubt unless he and Dan Aykroyd had a falling out.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, RPM said:

Aykroyd said he originally envisioned Belushi and Eddie Murphy plus himself as the Ghostbusters, but Belushi died and Murphy turned down the role.

Bill Murray took Eddie Murphy's spot.