Who's got a good collard recipe ?

Onboard 2.0

As the old folks in the family pass on recipes get lost or forgotten.  I'm on collard duty this Thanksgiving.  I haven't cooked em I a while.  I picked up 2 big plastic trash bags of collards yesterday morning. They still had remnants of that so important first frost.

Typical recipe is cook em down for 2 -3 hours in a ham hock, garlic, bacon roux....

What else ya got ?

Collards with andouille sausage

• 2 lbs. whole collards with leaves and stems, thick stems removed
  • 3 TBS butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped white onion
  • 1 tsp coarsely ground chile de arbol
  • 1 TBS chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups sliced andouille sausage, cut into half moons
  • 1.5 cups diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground white pepper

Put collards in a large pot, cover with water by 1 inch, and boil over high heat.  Cook until wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove, drain well, and set aside.

Wipe out the pot and melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion, chile de arbol, garlic, and salt.  Cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add the sausage and cook for 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock, cumin, and white pepper.  Increase the heat to high, and boil for 1 minute.  Add the cooked collards, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes or longer, until collards reach desired tenderness.  Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, baboso said:

• 3 TBS butter
  • 1 TBS chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin

Put collards in a large pot, cover with water by 1 inch, and boil over high heat.  Cook until wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove, drain well, and set aside.

Wipe out the pot and melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion, chile de arbol, garlic, and salt.  Cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.  Add the sausage and cook for 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock, cumin, and white pepper.  Increase the heat to high, and boil for 1 minute.  Add the cooked collards, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes or longer, until collards reach desired tenderness.  Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

Nice, liking the sound of this one. I got 12 bunches so it's industrial strength cooking, and they cook down to nothing anyway.

Have the regular family who only like it the way grandma, and auntie whoever had always cooked it. fatback, bacon,  ham hocks, and more bacon.... can't be bad....

Gonna do a couple recipes for Thanksgiving I think.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, baboso said:

• 3 TBS butter
  • 1 TBS chopped garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin

Just had my first taste of these ... gott damn they're good.. A new dish just got added to the holiday list....

• Hook 'Em 1