The Wizard of Oz

Sbbruin

The monkeys never scared me.  

Liked the movie as a child, mostly for the exposure of the Wizard.  The Lion, the Tinman, and the Scarecrow were tiresome as fuck.

I'd watch Wizard of Oz 10000X before I ever watch The Sound of Music again.   Total fucking beating...

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Didn't like it with the Von Trapps outsmarted the brown shirts eh?

Might have been a good flick if they didn't have to sing about every time someone got a fart caught sideways...

Yeah, I know, I know...it's in the title.

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thought they were scary as F when I was young.  My kids continued that tradition.

Those flying monkeys always freaked me the fuck out but loved them at the same time. Watched this movie countless times as a kid. I think I have only seen it once as an adult.

Edited by Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Lollipop Guild were notoriously shitty when it came to labor negotiations

Yeah, you'd think a "Guild" would be more adept at bargaining for a better compensation package than a freakin' dog.  But I think it went something like, 

Arbiter: "Okay, Guild representatives.  I've reviewed your request for wages.  Before we proceed, to attach a historical precedent to your Guild's services, tell me...what trade is your union engaged in...plumping, joint fitters, stevedores?"  

Little People:  "Lollipops." 

Arbiter:  "Lollipops?  Okay, get the fuck out of my office."  

IRL-scary monkeys and scary witch or not...I think we're gonna show this to the 5YO this weekend.  She was asking me about some reference she heard to the magical ruby slippers the other day.  I figured it's time.  

I'd watch Wizard of Oz 10000X before I ever watch The Sound of Music again.   Total fucking beating...

Captain Von Trapp was a coward. The Germans are taking over his country and what does he do? Stand and fight? Lead an insurgency? Nope. He runs like a bitch. While dancing. "Nazis are bad and I need to bug out. Hopefully the western allies don't hafta level my entire country to free all those poor saps."

13 hours ago, DaysOff said:

This was on network TV every new year's eve as a kid in the early 70s. I'd watch and be afraid of flying monkeys while adults drank and played cards until fireworks. Good memories.

I used to work with a guy who played one of the flying monkeys. He was also a stand in double for Mickey Rooney.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Might have been a good flick if they didn't have to sing about every time someone got a fart caught sideways...

Yeah, I know, I know...it's in the title.

♫ The farts are aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.... when they are caught siiiiiiiiiiidewaaaaaaaaaaays! ♫

On 11/23/2020 at 2:21 AM, RPM said:

Did you start Dark Side of the Moon when the Lion roared the second time?

Third roar, actually.

Grew up with the movie.  All of the witches castle stuff was bothersome.

My mom loved the movie and had the large book she was given as a child in the early 40s.  She gave that to my older son, and I read it to him several times.  Side note, Glenda is the Witch of the South.  I seem to recall the Witch of the North not having a name in the book.  Also, lots of adventures happen after the Wizard leaves without Dorothy in the balloon, and the Tin Man chops up every living thing that moves.

Fast forward several years.  My older son did some community theater and I tried my hand at it as well (not much of an actor, am I, but I can sing and do voices).  He went to audition for a local theater's Wizard of Oz.  I made the mistake of going with him (they're generally short on mid 40s males who can sing and sort of act).  Long story short, I spent the next four months as the Cowardly Lion/Zeke with a cast of really talented actors.  And yes, I did that operatic vibrato bit in the King of the Forrest number.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 6:18 AM, Parliament said:

Toto was paid more than the midgets.  

We had a company Christmas party at the Culver Hotel in Culver City maybe 5 years ago.  It’s right down the street from Sony, which was MGM back in the day.  The midgets all stayed there.  A lot of them had never even seen another midget.  So when they all got together, story is they tore shit up good, getting all kinds of fucked up.  That would have been one of the funnest, and funniest, things to witness ever.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We had a company Christmas party at the Culver Hotel in Culver City maybe 5 years ago.  It’s right down the street from Sony, which was MGM back in the day.  The midgets all stayed there.  A lot of them had never even seen another midget.  So when they all got together, story is they tore shit up good, getting all kinds of fucked up.  That would have been one of the funnest, and funniest, things to witness ever.

Yeah, the Oz munchkin players' ability to imbibe and engage in a little mischief is legendary.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:59 PM, Sbbruin said:

Sounds like the movie Under the Rainbow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On November 29, 2020 at 1:33 AM, smwhorn said:

They almost cut the best song ever in the history of songs from the movie.  

Yes, Somewhere Over the Rainbow is the best song ever in the history of songs.  Ever.

Fight Me.

I wouldn't even call it the greatest song in the history of cinema but you're welcome to your opinion. It's a good song. Perhaps you'd enjoy this duet by Rob Wasserman and Stephane Grappelli (RIP to both).

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Dig the movie. This thing seems like a massive reach. I guess I don't do enough drugs.

Try it. Pink Floyd and the sound engineers that worked on Dark Side of the Moon have all denied it, but it's not a stretch to think they were familiar with the movie. 

It's coincidental I'm sure, but it does sync up in my opinion. 

• Like 1

The sound engineer on Dark Side of the Moon was Alan Parsons. I wouldn't call this an outright denial : 

The album's engineer, Alan Parsons, was asked at the time if all this was intentional. He denied it. "There simply wasn't mechanics to do it," he said. "We had no means of playing videotapes in the room at all. I don't think VHS had come along by '72, had it?"

Parsons is correct. Even though recording television programs via videotape was introduced in 1956, they were originally designed for professional use, and didn't become available for home users until the mid-'70s.

My theory It wasn't intentionally synced up to Wizard of Oz, but the album was influenced by The Wizard of Oz. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Try it. Pink Floyd and the sound engineers that worked on Dark Side of the Moon have all denied it, but it's not a stretch to think they were familiar with the movie. 

The psychology of thinking any music you play syncs up with whatever movie you happen to be watching is pretty easy to understand. I once saw an old man crossing the street sync up with the Mr. Mojo Risin' part of L.A. Woman playing on the radio when I was stopped at a red light. Of course the engineers denied it because it's a myth. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The psychology of thinking any music you play syncs up with whatever movie you happen to be watching is pretty easy to understand. I once saw an old man crossing the street sync up with the Mr. Mojo Risin' part of L.A. Woman playing on the radio when I was stopped at a red light. Of course the engineers denied it because it's a myth. 

'sid and shrooms are both a helluva drug....  

If it is true the Wizard of Oz was their muse maybe they just wanted everyone to think they were musical geniuseses and didn't have to rip off a childrens book based on the US monetary system to come up with an album theme.

I figure it's just a huge coincidence, but who knows I think Lee Harvey had help.....

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched about 45 minutes of it last night. I used to watch movies on Tv with music playing quite often. There weren't any more apparent match-up moments in this than there were in any of those. It's bullshit. You could probably do the same with Sgt Peppers and gotten similar results, or played DSOTM with Dude Where's My Car.