The Wizard of Oz

Sbbruin

I watched about 45 minutes of it last night. I used to watch movies on Tv with music playing quite often. There weren't any more apparent match-up moments in this than there were in any of those. It's bullshit. You could probably do the same with Sgt Peppers and gotten similar results, or played DSOTM with Dude Where's My Car.

Great Gig In The Sky during the tornado sequence, then rolling perfectly into Money as the door opens. Also at the very end of the album when the meet the tin man the heart beating fade out as she puts her ear to his chest. There are a lot of scenes that lined up so perfect, with lyrics and a vibe. I think it’s pretty cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I watched about 45 minutes of it last night. I used to watch movies on Tv with music playing quite often. There weren't any more apparent match-up moments in this than there were in any of those. It's bullshit. You could probably do the same with Sgt Peppers and gotten similar results, or played DSOTM with Dude Where's My Car.

This.....total bullshit.

• 11 months later...

Here’s the thing about Oz: it holds up.  80 years later and if you show to somebody for the first time, they will  cheer for Toto to escape the witch, gasp when the door opens into color, be terrified when the monkeys fly, and cry when Dorothy gets home. We’ve all seen it dozens of times, and I will toss the remote away the moment I stumble on it and watch it to completion.  

It’s one of the greatest movies ever made.  

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Here’s the thing about Oz: it holds up.  80 years later and if you show to somebody for the first time, they will  cheer for Toto to escape the witch, gasp when the door opens into color, be terrified when the monkeys fly, and cry when Dorothy gets home. We’ve all seen it dozens of times, and I will toss the remote away the moment I stumble on it and watch it to completion.  

It’s one of the greatest movies ever made.  

Those flying monkeys still scare the hell out of me, some 50 years after the first time I saw them.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/23/2020 at 8:26 AM, slorch said:

'd watch Wizard of Oz 10000X before I ever watch The Sound of Music again.   Total fucking beating...

Heard a podcast where they were interviewing a young woman who had watched the Sound of Music dozens of times growing up.  That's watching only volume one of a VHS set.  Never saw the second half of the movie.  Thought that the Nazi Hitler Youth motherfucker was prince charming and was in love with him.  The movie just ended for her when Julie Andrews left. 

Kind of funny hearing her reaction when she realized she had never seen the whole movie.

• Hook 'Em 1