Obscure movies from your youth

Parliament

Man, haven't thought about/seen "The Wild Life" in at least 20-25 years.  Pos rep.  Ensemble cast had so much potential but did not quite live up to the hype.  Did a whopping $10mm at the box office.  Eddie Van Halen apparently had a lot to do with the soundtrack.  RIP Eddie, and RIP Chris Penn......didn't realize he's been dead for 15 years already.

I’m sure they have all been mentioned button my early-mid 80s VHS money:

The Last Dragon
Midnight Madness
Remo Williams
SuperFuzz
The Last Starfighter
Cloak and Dagger (SA holla)
Can’t buy me love (RIP Cindy Mancini)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Seems like I watched The Legend of Billie Jean about 100 times on HBO when I was a kid.

Oftentimes when someone says "fair is fair" in everyday conversation, I'm tempted to start chanting that and pumping my fist in solidarity with everyone else who is outraged about the injustices surrounding Bix's damaged motor scooter. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 9:07 AM, Lobo said:

Howell is basically the poster child for many of the 80's movies that weren't all that mainstream:  The Outsiders (it's a classic now that launched a half dozen serious careers, but it only made $33mm at the box office), "Tank" (which I still watch late at night when I can't sleep), "Secret Admirer" (corny as hell but Kelly Preson and Lori Loughlin get semi-naked), "Soul Man" (in hindsight, maybe the most offensive movie of the 20th century), and probably a dozen others I can't think of right now.  

Seriously?  I grew up in the 80s.  The Outsiders was mainstream.  I'm pretty sure every group of kids had someone who was trying to make "Pony Boy" stick as a nickname.   It was directed by Coppola.  I don't care how much it grossed. 

Some more WTF from Disney to warp childhood...

I'm sure I can't be the only kid whose dad took them to see "Disney's version of Star Wars," only to have their brain melted...

Revisiting it as an adult, I still don't know what the hell's going on (literally) at the end, nor do I know who managed to pitch a space version of Faust as a Disney movie, but I thought the inclusion of Goethe's last words was a creepy but underrated move.

And this, along with Condorman, remains conspicuously absent from the Disney+ catalog.  C'mon, it's got exploding dirigibles, lost Vikings, vicious inflatable orcas... 

39 minutes ago, Damor said:

Some more WTF from Disney to warp childhood...

I'm sure I can't be the only kid whose dad took them to see "Disney's version of Star Wars," only to have their brain melted...

Revisiting it as an adult, I still don't know what the hell's going on (literally) at the end, nor do I know who managed to pitch a space version of Faust as a Disney movie, but I thought the inclusion of Goethe's last words was a creepy but underrated move.

I saw The Black Hole in the theater when it came out.  I went in expecting a Disney movie, and walked out with a What-The-Hell-did-I-just-see  feeling.  

Wikipedia describes the ending as:

In a surreal sequence inside the black hole which resembles Heaven and Hell,[2] Reinhardt becomes merged with Maximilian in a burning, hellish landscape populated by dark-robed spectres resembling the Cygnus drones. Next, a floating, angelic figure with long flowing hair passes through a cathedral-like arched crystal tunnel. The probe ship carrying Holland, Pizer, McCrae and V.I.N.CENT. then emerges from a white hole and is last seen flying through space towards a planet near a bright star.

Except for the Black Hole, it's hard to imagine calling any Disney movie obscure. But time obscures a great many things. I was born in 1979 and I'm not a huge movie buff. How many non-obscure movies from the 1970s can I name? Star Wars, Jaws, the Godfather I & II, Apocalypse Now, Blazing Saddles, China Town, Taxi Driver, Network, um... and then a bunch of movies that might have been in the late '60s, the '70s, or the early '80s. Then, after thinking about it, I might remember Dirty Harry, Death Wish, Shaft, the Poseidon Adventure, Kramer vs. Kramer, and others along those lines.

When we say "obscure", do we mean stuff like Werner Herzog's student documentary on the Frilly Lizard Monkeys of Suburban Buenos Aires or movies that time forgot?