Obscure movies from your youth

Parliament

4 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Pretty funny movie. I still have a copy of it, but haven’t seen it in years. It’s a fictional B-movie that’s a hybrid between a bad sci-fi space flick and Russ Meyer titty movie. The “broadcast” is repeatedly interrupted by technical difficulties and the time is filled with phony ads and unrelated shorts. Tons and great cameos and memorable shorts, especially the Pet of Month bit.

No Soul Simmons was one of my favorites. 

26 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Escape from Witch Mountain (1975)

Looking back. Kim Richards may have been my first crush. I was 7 at the time and certainly didnt quite understand it either.

Amazon.com: Escape to Witch Mountain [VHS]: Eddie Albert, Ray Milland,  Donald Pleasence, Kim Richards, Ike Eisenmann, Walter Barnes, Reta Shaw,  Denver Pyle, Alfred Ryder, Lawrence Montaigne, Terry Wilson, George  Chandler, Frank V.

Since we didn't get cable until the early 80s, most of my movie watching in the 70s came from regular TV.  Disney on Sunday nights brought the Witch Mountain movies, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Herbie, Old Yeller, Freaky Friday, The Shaggy DA, etc.

Once we got cable in the 80's with HBO and Cinemax, there were many obscure movies.  I can't remember most of them, but I spent hours watching movies listed with N or even BN in order to catch a glimpse of a boob, butt, or even the occasional sex scene.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Once we got cable in the 80's with HBO and Cinemax, there were many obscure movies.  I can't remember most of them, but I spent hours watching movies listed with N or even BN in order to catch a glimpse of a boob, butt, or even the occasional sex scene.

a very common experience with those of a certain age.

and oh boy, if you saw a SSC listed.. let me tell ya!

Edited by yoladu
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, smuggs said:

Scarecrow_Banner.jpg

Thank you! I saw this list and thought I am going to have to look this one up! Now that you posted it, I don't have to!

14 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh with Dr. J and some comedy called Scavenger Hunt (Richard Benjamin and a bunch of B movie actors) that used to be on HBO all the time in the early 1980's are two movies I watched the shit out of when I was a kid.  

I always confused that one with Midnight Madness (Michael J Fox and Stephen Furst).

The one I always think about is Deadly Blessing, Because of this scene with an early 20 something Sharon Stone:

Most of the movies I was going to post have been posted already.  I think I mentioned this movie in another thread because for decades I have been trying to remember what the name of this movie was.  I saw it as a kid, so I could only remember a handful of scenes.  No matter who I described the movie to, no one knew what the fuck I was talking about.  By chance a couple of months ago while scrolling through the guide, read the description of this movie and immediately knew it was the one.  Holy shit, it was like blowing a load after 30 years of jacking off.

The best part is, it is one of the absolute worst movies ever.  Just fucking terrible.  Awful.  It is worse than Gymkata.  I present to you, Treasure of the Four Crowns.

8 hours ago, yoladu said:

a very common experience with those of a certain age.

and oh boy, if you saw a SSC listed.. let me tell ya!

Someone should open a titty bar called BN, N, & SSC. 

If you like the Amazon Women on the Moon, Kentucky Fried Movie, and UHF (surprised that one hasn't been mentioned yet), there's another similar movie that's even more obscure called "Loose Shoes" that is pretty outstanding. 

Loose_shoes.jpg

On 11/24/2020 at 8:12 AM, Lobo said:

Okay, I wouldn't exactly call "Defending Your Life" an obscure movie.  It was lauded at the time and remains a classic comedy in the Albert Brooks pantheon.  

I'm waiting for Armybrat though to chime in with some Rudolph Valentino or Mae Murray movies at some point in this thread.  

In the meantime, I give you from the great C. Thomas Howell.  The Bert Blyleven of 1980's workhorses:

he was in many.  Blind Fury was so bad.... so good....so bad....

Howell is basically the poster child for many of the 80's movies that weren't all that mainstream:  The Outsiders (it's a classic now that launched a half dozen serious careers, but it only made $33mm at the box office), "Tank" (which I still watch late at night when I can't sleep), "Secret Admirer" (corny as hell but Kelly Preson and Lori Loughlin get semi-naked), "Soul Man" (in hindsight, maybe the most offensive movie of the 20th century), and probably a dozen others I can't think of right now.