Trump Pardon Watch Thread

Hookah Horns

With the transition finally getting under way, it seems fitting to create this official pardon watch thread. 

Who are the favorites to receive pardons, other than Trump himself?

Would/will SCOTUS deem a self-pardon constitutional? 

Will he pardon everyone in ADX Florence (supermax) as a giant "fuck you" on his way out? 

• Like 1

Trump is so transactional that it will be him, kids, and those that benefit him.  He'll commute Manafort's sentence because a pardon will preclude him taking the 5th amendment protections when he's inevitably dragged before congress or a grand jury.

So himself, kids, Manafort, maybe Barr.  Then some randos.

• Hook 'Em 1

And there's about close to a zero percent chance he trusts Pence to pardon him if he resigns.  It will be a self pardon.  And the Brett Kavanaugh will write the majority opinion that "Nemo iudex in causa sua" was wrongly decided.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Yuk said:

And there's about close to a zero percent chance he trusts Pence to pardon him if he resigns.  It will be a self pardon.  And the Brett Kavanaugh will write the majority opinion that "Nemo iudex in causa sua" was wrongly decided.

I'm not sure that's true about not trusting Pence, but he also could try to have Pence do it while Pence is "acting president" under 25A. 

Question for our crack team of constitutional lawyers:

How do you pardon yourself for something you're not accused of?  Say for example that no one has charged you with tax evasion, but you snap your fingers and say "I pardon myself for anything of any kind that might come up from the IRS" and you're all good?  Seems like there has to be a case filed, first.  Pardon v. blanket immunity.  

Also, I have assumed all along that all pardons are only for Federal statute crimes.  So the State of NY can do whatever the fuck they want.

I don’t think an offense has to be charged. Article II says any offense can be pardoned. 

Article II of the U.S. Constitution gives the President the power to pardon individuals who have committed federal offenses. 

The scope of the President’s pardon power is broad.  He can pardon an individual for nearly any offense against the United States.  While broad, the power is not unlimited.  For example, the President cannot issue a pardon in cases of impeachment, nor can he pardon someone for committing a state crime.

The Constitution does not impose any procedural or substantive requirements on the President’s exercise of the pardon power.  He can issue a pardon through any process and for any reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Question for our crack team of constitutional lawyers:

How do you pardon yourself for something you're not accused of?  Say for example that no one has charged you with tax evasion, but you snap your fingers and say "I pardon myself for anything of any kind that might come up from the IRS" and you're all good?  Seems like there has to be a case filed, first.  Pardon v. blanket immunity.  

Also, I have assumed all along that all pardons are only for Federal statute crimes.  So the State of NY can do whatever the fuck they want.

SCOTUS held in Ex parte Garland (1866) that an offense can be pardoned any time after its commission. It does need to be for a particular offense, though, so it's not really "blanket" immunity. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Hook 'Em 2

My predictions:

Short of Barr telling him he can't, which I find unlikely given Barr's views on executive power, Trump absolutely is pardoning himself with the thought that "his" Supreme Court will take care of him.

The kids are all getting pardoned -- well except maybe Tiffany, depends on if Trump remembers she exists or not.

He's going to promise a bunch of pardons and not get around to them before he's out of office.

He's going to withhold a pardon to punish someone he thinks failed or screwed him -- Rudy actually a good candidate for this one.

Dark horse prediction: He announces he's pardoning Hillary, Obama, and Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Pardoning himself means essentially admitting to committing federal crimes, should he pardon himself for things he hasn’t yet been charged with. 

odds he doesn’t think he has done anything illegal, or thinks that it’s all sufficiently covered up that he won’t get popped for it, and doesn’t pardon himself?

He’s not pardoning himself. That would be admitting he’s done something wrong as President. That being said, I wouldn’t be shocked if he did something incredibly stupid like try to pardon himself for NY tax fraud. (Even though he can’t). It won’t stop him from trying. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

My predictions:

Short of Barr telling him he can't, which I find unlikely given Barr's views on executive power, Trump absolutely is pardoning himself with the thought that "his" Supreme Court will take care of him.

The kids are all getting pardoned -- well except maybe Tiffany, depends on if Trump remembers she exists or not.

He's going to promise a bunch of pardons and not get around to them before he's out of office.

He's going to withhold a pardon to punish someone he thinks failed or screwed him -- Rudy actually a good candidate for this one.

Hillary Obama and Biden can all decline the pardon, which would be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

SCOTUS held in Ex parte Garland (1866) that an offense can be pardoned any time after its commission. It does need to be for a particular offense, though, so it's not really "blanket" immunity. 

That's the important part.  Do you have to specify and cite a particular crime?  If so I would argue that even if Trump thinks he can protect himself by issuing some kind of blanket pardon he's going to miss something. 

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He’s not pardoning himself. That would be admitting he’s done something wrong as President. That being said, I wouldn’t be shocked if he did something incredibly stupid like try to pardon himself for NY tax fraud. (Even though he can’t). It won’t stop him from trying. 

He sure as hell might try to pardon himself, not because he's admitting to anything, but rather, he would be "protecting" himself from the Deep State Democrat fuckheads that want nothing more to see him in jail.  And the MAGA folk and the GOP would go along with it on those terms.

22 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

That's the important part.  Do you have to specify and cite a particular crime?  If so I would argue that even if Trump thinks he can protect himself by issuing some kind of blanket pardon he's going to miss something. 

The law would suggest that kind of specificity is required, but then Nixon's didn't. His was for "any crimes he may have committed" during a 5 year period. Which is total bullshit in my book. 

group 1 - didn't get anyone killed, that we know of - "whistle blowers"

snowden

assange

winner

manning* (already free, but commuted by Obama, not pardoned)

group 2 - didn't get anyone killed, that we know of - "espionage"

gowadia

myers

nicholson

group 3 - definitely got people killled - he wouldn't dare would he?

hanssen

kaczynski

nichols

rudolph

group 4 - all the other baddies at Florence including tons of al qaeda - surly no wai

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pardoning himself means essentially admitting to committing federal crimes, should he pardon himself for things he hasn’t yet been charged with. 

odds he doesn’t think he has done anything illegal, or thinks that it’s all sufficiently covered up that he won’t get popped for it, and doesn’t pardon himself?

Trump will pardon himself because it's too irresistible of a narrative not to be a victim of crooked Dems and just have to inocculate yourself against consequences of your own actions. Stone cold lock.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll guess Steven Miller

he’s not pardoning Barr, DoJ never arrested obama, Hillary and Biden !

Barr can straight up implicate him on obstruction.  He's getting a pardon if he wants one.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, ultimaton said:

My predictions:

This is gonna be hilarious.  They need to keep him thinking he has a chance to win this fight with his trusty sidedick Rudy G.  Then before we know it his ass is done.  Make it so. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I get so disgusted by these power plays. That persons so treasonous, who lie, cheat, and steal with impunity can walk as free as a bird while a black American cannot even jog through a neighborhood without being harassed is just wrong and shameful. 

Black people shoulda been more loyal to Trump.  

41 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I’ve never understood WTF the founders were thinking allowing the president to just pardon anyone for pretty much any reason.  I realize federal crimes were few and far between back then but they existed and some were quite important. 

You strike at the heart of the problem.  A federal pardon should not have much scope.

Aaaand, the impeachment remedy should take care of corrupt pardons.  IIRC it was explicitly mentioned in the impeachment debate as a cause for impeachment.

I posted a fairly readable law review article about pardons not too long ago that traces the history.  Pretty interesting.

Edited by TwiceHorn