Trump Pardon Watch Thread

Hookah Horns

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I give no shits as to what the spawn of Dotard might think.  Fuck them all.

They’re wretched people. All of them. None of them deserve pardons and they all deserve to be miserable. I’ll take whatever misery I can get.

Bannon was no fan of Jarvanka, btw, and vice versa. 

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Sorry, got confused.  Saw the photo from Clear and Present Danger.  In that one, the other guy had a blanket thingy for all the shit that went down.

That is correct, and I am a little ashamed of myself that I didn’t’ recognize what you were talking about despite the fact that you had the wrong book.

Presidential Pardons: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (fas.org)

Can the president issue “secret” pardons”?

Another question occasionally raised is whether the President can issue pardons without informing the public. In a certain sense, the President appears to have the authority to issue a pardon that is not officially made public, i.e., a “secret” pardon. As historically understood, the only requirements for a valid pardon are that (1) the President grant it and (2) the recipient accept it. Under DOJ regulations, the Office of Pardon Attorney must mail warrants of pardon to their recipients to notify them of the grant of clemency, although it is unclear whether this rule would necessarily inform a President’s practice in situations where the Office of Pardon Attorney has not taken part in consideration of the pardon request. In any event, these regulations are advisory and cannot be interpreted in a way that would impinge on the President’s Article II authority. So while the President might issue a “secret” pardon, the recipient would ultimately have to produce the pardon in order to reap its benefits.

In clear and present danger, Ritter wasn’t referring to a pardon in referring to his get out of jail free card...he was talking about the fact that he had a copy of written authorization from the director of national security on order directly from the president for funding and operating his covert war against the cartels in Colombia using United States military troops and assets. That would presumably absolve him from any criminal prosecution and/or protect him from congressional investigation after the senate committee agreed to fund Colombia’s efforts to combat cartel influence when jack “lied” to them and gave them his word there would be no troops. 

obviously pedantic but not a pardon...secret or otherwise. 

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, Sawbonz said:

If trump tried to circumvent the office of the pardon attorney anyone subsequently presenting such a pardon would have a hard time verifying it was actually granted prior to Trump’s leaving office

Yeah, that's the fundamental problem with "secret" pardons.  Unless made public while still in office, it could be backdated or altered in all sorts of ways.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

dude

What? Did you not see them dropping laser guided bombs and shit on the upper west side of New York? Morningside park can be rough as fuck. 

thx. I hate people that claim autocorrect when they’re full of shit but I will actually rightfully claim it here. Typing too fast on iPad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This might have something to do with it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/trump-self-pardon-warning/index.html

The thought is...if Trump has to list a specific crime in a pardon, then that could provide states exactly what to look for to charge the kids down the road.

Nixon's pardon didn't. I don't think the requisite particulars of a pardon have been definitively resolved by the court. 

Also, I don't think the article jibes with your distillation of it. The WH counsel is saying not to pardon them unless the crime is specified. I'm not quite sure why they think a blanket pardon would be a problem, but it probably has to do with civil liability. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that's the fundamental problem with "secret" pardons.  Unless made public while still in office, it could be backdated or altered in all sorts of ways.

That’s why I think it’s bullshit. No one is going to risk their pardon not being honored because established protocols were not followed 

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Trumps gonna go all Hans Gruber

e2d2785c90f5ca8ddfaeda1023e9f8dd.jpg

The following people are to be released from their captors: In Northern Ireland, the seven members of the New Provo Front. In Canada, the five imprisoned leaders of Liberte de Quebec. In Sri Lanka, the nine members of the Asian Dawn Movement.

Edited by Macanudo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Has anyone ever heard of “secret pardon” before today? And is the argument that secret pardons are possible simply that the wording of the constitution doesn’t explicitly ban them? Because that sounds pretty fucking stupid to me 

If I get pulled over for speeding, can I just claim double secret presidential pardon and go on my way? This is dumb and law in general is apparently really dumb.

This past year has opened my eyes to many things, one of which is how backwards my view of the law was. I used to think that the law was built on established precedents and while there can be differing perspectives, philosophies, and objectives, everyone roughly reasoned from the same set of established standards, even the cynics. Apparently though, lawyers just dream up whatever idiotic thing fits their needs and shoehorn it to fit within an asinine reading of the most convenient law. As long as you repeat your moronic statement enough, it becomes established legal precedent. I think the legal term of art is trifidamque linguam exertat.

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The following people are to be released from their captors: In Northern Ireland, the seven members of the New Provo Front. In Canada, the five imprisoned leaders of Liberte de Quebec. In Sri Lanka, the nine members of the Asian Dawn Movement.

Asian Dawn?!

1 minute ago, Mole said:

If I get pulled over for speeding, can I just claim double secret presidential pardon and go on my way? This is dumb and law in general is apparently really dumb.

This past year has opened my eyes to many things, one of which is how backwards my view of the law was. I used to think that the law was built on established precedents and while there can be differing perspectives, philosophies, and objectives, everyone roughly reasoned from the same set of established standards, even the cynics. Apparently though, lawyers just dream up whatever idiotic thing fits their needs and shoehorn it to fit within an asinine reading of the most convenient law. As long as you repeat your moronic statement enough, it becomes established legal precedent. I think the legal term of art is trifidamque linguam exertat.

Your old understanding was a lot better. 

There was a lot of bastardization of norms and ignoring the law during the last 4 years, but I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here. 

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What exactly would be the point of pardoning Joe Exotic? Because he was on tv? How exactly does trump benefit from letting an attempted murderer go free?

Professional courtesy to a fellow reality tv star and all around despicable human being. Trump gets him 

• Hook 'Em 3

No Ross Ulbricht. So fucking lame. I'm sure he had more support for clemency than most of the people who received it. 

He absolutely deserved to go to prison, but not for the rest of his life. I can't imagine how crushing it must be to be in prison for life, get your hopes up for a commutation, and find out you're not getting it, but remorseless dirtbags like Bannon did.