Markets still falling like whoa

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Top 10 day in percentage change. 

Not even close-  -7.84% is tenth worst percentage drop, according to the chart. 

No CR, but I too wonder how much Bernie's probable nomination is contributing to the drop.  I'd rather it get priced in now than November if so.  

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

No CR, but I too wonder how much Bernie's probable nomination is contributing to the drop.  I'd rather it get priced in now than November if so.  

Expect freak outs at Convention and leading up to election(depending on polling).

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

you are right.  I was looking at the sort on the largest point drop and forgetting to engage common sense.   

Speaking of election year markets, looking at that list it is astounding how crazy the month before the 2008 election was for that.  I lived through it as an investor, but at that point I had just thrown in the towel and quit paying attention to the daily machinations of the market.  Or I'm just blocking it all out.

10-9-2008, down 7.33% (13th biggest % drop)

10-13-2008, up 11.08% (5th biggest % rise ever)

10-15-2008, down 7.87% (9th biggest % drop)

10-28-2008, up 10.88% (6th biggest % rise ever)

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Speaking of election year markets, looking at that list it is astounding how crazy the month before the 2008 election was for that.  I lived through it as an investor, but at that point I had just thrown in the towel and quit paying attention to the daily machinations of the market.  Or I'm just blocking it all out.

10-9-2008, down 7.33% (13th biggest % drop)

10-13-2008, up 11.08% (5th biggest % rise ever)

10-15-2008, down 7.87% (9th biggest % drop)

10-28-2008, up 10.88% (6th biggest % rise ever)

Sept-Nov that year was a shitshow of craziness.  Never drank coffee in my life before then.  Was staying up til 2 and waking up at 5 everyday for about 2 months.  

39 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Definitely has nothing to do with the coke-fiend level borrowing and interest rate reductions we've been under for the last several years. Nope, it's definitely the fault of a candidate leading a political party and has zero relation to chickens coming home to roost

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Market rolling up on "Largest Point Drop" in history territory.  1,175 is #1 and 1,032 is #2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_daily_changes_in_the_Dow_Jones_Industrial_Average

I'm old enough to remember where I was when the market dropped over 22% on Monday, and followed that up with by opening on Tuesday down again. And then it halted, new rules were introduce and the crash was halted. But there was no social media, and really ticker tapes weren't worth anything because if something like an IBM said 4 1/8, nobody knew what the digit was before the 4 was.

In today's market that would equate to the Dow dropping almost 6,500 points....so todays 900 isn't going to shake me up that much.

52 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Sept-Nov that year was a shitshow of craziness.  Never drank coffee in my life before then.  Was staying up til 2 and waking up at 5 everyday for about 2 months.  

until i had kids, i had never been more tired in my life.  that was a crazy 3 months.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

.... now the game to be played is how long to hold, before greed eats my lunch???

18 hours ago, Blotto said:

Fixed it for me. 

Day 1 test - hold until tomorrow (greed) or take my win and see how tomorrow goes?
(I've already sold enough of the 3-2 expire to cover my cost+, thinking of reducing my 3-23 expire before the market closes)
Surly-what say you....or should I ask r/wallstreetbets?

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The fact a ton of their planes are still fucked by Boeing?

Not sure what the buy point is for LUV (or B), but IMO if/when the 737Max is back logging passenger miles B is going to have to give LUV an incentive to order more. As LUV has talked about diversifying from their 737 fleet, and B will want to keep them in the fold. 

2 years from now, if we all aren't dead from the CoronaPlague-19 then LUV will be in a good spot - based on the Max issue; who knows what else between now and then. 
It will turn bad if there are town/cities that go on lock down in the US and flights get grounded.

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Not sure what the buy point is for LUV (or B), but IMO if/when the 737Max is back logging passenger miles B is going to have to give LUV an incentive to order more. As LUV has talked about diversifying from their 737 fleet, and B will want to keep them in the fold. 

2 years from now, if we all aren't dead from the CoronaPlague-19 then LUV will be in a good spot - based on the Max issue; who knows what else between now and then. 
It will turn bad if there are town/cities that go on lock down in the US and flights get grounded.

I'm long on both LUV and BA.  I've averaged down on some of the recent lows.

4 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Bought some Disney puts last week even though I whiffed on their Q3 earnings last year.  Hong Kong and Shanghai Disneyland aren't reopening anytime soon and Tokyo Disneyland will probably have to go down at some point. 

I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t been closed down yet, but Japan has a better handle on things, outside of the cruise ship infecting a bunch of Japanese, including the Japanese Director of Quarantine or whatever his job is.  

But tourism there will take a hit when the Olympics don’t happen, or at least don’t have spectators on site.  

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

And/or pricing in Bernie. 

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That might be a piece of it.  No one has taken him seriously for decades until this weekend.

Doubt it was Bernie.  With many of the Gulf states coming up with cases, and Iran exploding in cases (contributing to the surrounding nations), on top of Italy and South Korea losing control, people are starting to pick up on how fast and far the virus is spreading.  

Shitload of container ships parked off the coast of China.  Now imagine if those were idled oil tankers in the ME.  

16 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm long on both LUV and BA.  I've averaged down on some of the recent lows.

Yep.  If you’re long you can laugh at all this.  I still think a little more pain and better spots to jump in, especially with anything travel related.  

Was wondering where this panic was, I’m almost relieved to see it...

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep.  If you’re long you can laugh at all this.  I still think a little more pain and better spots to jump in, especially with anything travel related.  

Was wondering where this panic was, I’m almost relieved to see it...

I'm pretty shocked it didn't happen last Tuesday with the President's Day holiday and things getting precarious even then.  I suppose the Dubai/Milan/South Korea expansion this past weekend has spooked some folks, given their highly international business nature.  

38 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Bold prediction.

Market closes down less than 650.

33 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Don't think it's in the cards today.  I'd say it may close down about 1100, maybe even 1200, have tonight's futures pointing to another down day tomorrow, then reverse mid-morning.  

Going to split the difference. 

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Doubt it was Bernie.  With many of the Gulf states coming up with cases, and Iran exploding in cases (contributing to the surrounding nations), on top of Italy and South Korea losing control, people are starting to pick up on how fast and far the virus is spreading.  

Shitload of container ships parked off the coast of China.  Now imagine if those were idled oil tankers in the ME.  

Not all of it was, but look at the declines in the healthcare and insurance companies. Those are sold more then the market and can directly be tied to Berine (medicare for all, put insurance companies out of business). 

9 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Not all of it was, but look at the declines in the healthcare and insurance companies. Those are sold more then the market and can directly be tied to Berine (medicare for all, put insurance companies out of business). 

Good fucking riddance. Insurance companies are more interested in making a buck than taking care of people - they add no value and only increase the cost of care and complexity to navigate the market. /nocr

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Good fucking riddance. Insurance companies are more interested in making a buck than taking care of people - they add no value and only increase the cost of care and complexity to navigate the market. /nocr

The over-utilization of insurance is what increased the cost and complexity of care.  Insurance was never meant to cover every PCP visit, pay for basic prescriptions, going to the emergency room when you have the flu, and what not.  The system being bloated at the front end really destroyed the level of care ladder, and spiraled the costs of both care and insurance itself out of control.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

Maybe if this was closer to Super Tuesday, but everybody just watched Italy go from a handful of cases to 229 cases, 6 deaths, and quarantined cities over the weekend.    And now we are hearing that Iran has basically lost control of things.  Kuwait is now trying to lock things down, even though they just have a handful of cases, and others in the area are following suit.  

Or to put it more simply: The scenario we watched with China over a few months has just played out in South Korea, Italy, and Iran in a week or less, and other countries are trying to lock things down (probably too late).  

Edited by atomheartbevo

32 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Nothing to see here folks:

6 hours ago, GRHorn said:

And/or pricing in Bernie. 

Coming soon to Twitter near you. 

“Wow stock market down big today! People must be realizing Dems are going to nominate Crazy Bernie! His policies will wreck the economy! Don’t worry though I won’t let it happen!”

Effect TBD. If things start to unravel, Fed will step in quickly. They will want stability to keep Trump.