Markets still falling like whoa

9 hours ago, bernorange said:

@washparkhorn - The Fed's toolbox is not a font of unlimited power.  It was just a few months ago (back in October) that the IMF warned that the (global banking) system can't handle a significant shock.  They weren't the only voice over the last year or so saying it, but I mention them to illustrate how mainstream the analysis is. 

Agree, but at this particular moment - we all must always pay attention to what the Fed says.

When Yellen promised a few years ago there would be no more financial crises in our lifetime that is precedent - until it isn't as you note. Bears will get smashed over and over again until TPTB find a bear market advantageous. They have the dough and the Fed on their side of the ledger. 

This crisis isn't over. And the asset bubble continues on. Your concerns are well taken. 

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

You don't have to buy it.  My point is that if it was a Bernie blowout (multiple state victory) then it increases the odds of him being the presumptive Democratic nominee.  That in turn increases the chance of him being President which would be negative for equity prices.  Increased risk to equity prices equals reducing equity exposure.  

As a counterpoint, which carries the asterisk that it was very early (but it's still "early"), stocks hit their all-time high AFTER Bernie's Iowa and New Hampshire performances.  

22 hours ago, workswithseed said:

spacer.png

That's not good, looks like lots of people will be unhappy about this.

21 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I am seeing comments today that RH was down because of coding glitches related to leap day, somehow yesterday their software was looking for March 3 quotes. The alleged confirmation of this is that the exact same thing happened 4 years ago.

source: reddit/r/wsb

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I am seeing comments today that RH was down because of coding glitches related to leap day, somehow yesterday their software was looking for March 3 quotes. The alleged confirmation of this is that the exact same thing happened 4 years ago.

silicon valley flirting GIF

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

So it was y2k but for RH. Seriously, will that happen every leap year?

Down again today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously....I had never heard of the Robinhood trading app until the last week watching this thread. But damn, that’s some serious horse-shit back-up planning for a company trading securities. I would have to imagine there are some legal/SEC issues right around the corner. In addition to a mass exodus of users.

50 basis point surprise cut by Fed, Dow rallies 600 points.

If we close red (we’ve been drifting downwards the last hour or so) on the day of the largest rate cut since 2008, hold on to your shit fellas. I haven’t moved to cash, and in fact have bought the dip, but today will be incredibly telling. Might actually pull the trigger.
A 50 bp rate cut?? A few weeks after we hit all-time highs??

3 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

If we close red (we’ve been drifting downwards the last hour or so) on the day of the largest rate cut since 2008, hold on to your shit fellas. I haven’t moved to cash, and in fact have bought the dip, but today will be incredibly telling. Might actually pull the trigger.

Everyone knows that rate cuts will solve supply chain issues and make the virus go away. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

And the real estate guy running the country tweets out he wants 50 more.  Monetary policy has zero effect on virus fears. It is never enough. I hate his jawboning of the Fed.

There is going to be a liquidity suck when the machines get turned off and decide to head for the hills.  

1 hour ago, BLKNSTY said:

I sold a bit more yesterday.   I don't think Trump's smoke and mirrors are going to help in the long run.  Hope I'm wrong.  I'll gladly lose a little for this to all blow over.

the rate cut was priced in yesterday. if you bought more at 25,000 for long term you are good.  I'm directly in the supply chain for components.  I realize that is not everything but China facilities are back at 80% of full capacity.  there will be a hit but it will be short lived(relatively) if you are a long term investory.  there is high pressure on both sides of the equation which is good for the consumer.

The message that all is well does not match the action of the biggest rate cut since the recession and all it’s going to do in the short term is show people that there is an actual problem, however short lived it may be. 

The rate cut was nothing more than a shortsighted attempt to calm everyone down. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

Welp.

this is fine GIF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chult86 said:

As someone about to purchase a new home, rate cuts sound good to me for the short-term. As someone worried about the long term health of the country, rate cuts do not sound good.

Are there a bunch of olds in the area you’re looking to buy? Might be prudent to wait a few months. 

On 3/2/2020 at 1:50 AM, 0xdeadbeef said:

On Friday I was thinking I would get back in the market Monday morning and ride it back up a bit. After reading way too much stuff on the internet this weekend, I reversed and put SELL orders in for virtually everything I have, including my beloved blue-chip dividend stocks.   My bottom line question for myself was "Do I think the market is going to be lower is 2-3 months time?" If I had answered "I'm not sure", I would stay in and ride it down and up.  But coronavirus is a dark-ass storm coming and I think it's going to F things up for a while. 

I'm just going to take my pile of cash and sit over in the corner for a few months.   

I see two factors in play.   First the fear/panic over the coronavirus in our everyday lives is going to put downward pressure on the market.  I don't know how long it will take, but we should adjust to that.  Then, quarterly results are going to start coming in, and it's going to be bad across the board.  Tech companies, Hotels, Airlines, Oil companies, shipping companies,  you name it.  Numbers are going to be bad.

Seems like there could be a rebound from the fear/panic part before results start getting announced.  There could be a nice peak in there for someone....but not me. I'll be in the corner.

8 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I'm just going to take my pile of cash and sit over in the corner for a few months.   

I see two factors in play.   First the fear/panic over the coronavirus in our everyday lives is going to put downward pressure on the market.  I don't know how long it will take, but we should adjust to that.  Then, quarterly results are going to start coming in, and it's going to be bad across the board.  Tech companies, Hotels, Airlines, Oil companies, shipping companies,  you name it.  Numbers are going to be bad.

Seems like there could be a rebound from the fear/panic part before results start getting announced.  There could be a nice peak in there for someone....but not me. I'll be in the corner.

But don't you think that a lot of the corona fear is the effect on the future earnings and that it is being baked into the cake...at least somewhat.  All of the guidance that I have seen is downplaying expectations so it's not like the bad news will be a surprise

Question for serious TSLA investors. How is this stock weathering days like today and besides last week we continue to see pops of almost 5% nearly daily. Were they way underpriced for far too long? I am seeing a lot more Tesla’s on the road...just want to ask some questions as I review this stock.

Edited by Tailgate

48 minutes ago, Chult86 said:

As someone about to purchase a new home, rate cuts sound good to me for the short-term. As someone worried about the long term health of the country, rate cuts do not sound good.

Rate cuts are good, outside of the higher prices that correspond with low rates.  

At least there's some market fear to assuage some of the high pricing, which sucks for me since I'm helping mom and dad sell their home.  

30 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Question for serious TSLA investors. How is this stock weathering days like today and besides last week we continue to see pops of almost 5% nearly daily. Were they way underpriced for far too long? I am seeing a lot more Tesla’s on the road...just want to ask some questions as I review this stock.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to tie TSLA stock performance to anything other than rampant speculation. There is no tangible real life metric that explains the stock price. It would be similar to trying to explain bitcoin price swings. It is also is a heavily shorted stock which can skew price movements as well.

It currently has a market cap much greater than Ford, GM, and Chrysler combined, yet has a fraction of the revenue and has never turned an annual profit. Last year TSLA revenue grew less than 15% and the stock tripled. Here's a screenshot of their revenues and earnings

image.thumb.png.43550d833bfcefae43b3a938a7f6d0d4.png

image.thumb.png.d1078571b92bc9f557c4f5194142e078.png

For comparisons sake, here is Toyota's financials:

image.thumb.png.c208caddf05d491e805c61a44bf0b242.png

image.thumb.png.5b61628e3796f9ba49aa94bc8245e82f.png

A few weeks ago TSLA had a higher market cap than Toyota. There are plenty of believers in TSLA, and they will make the argument that the stock is undervalued today. At the end of the day, TSLA is in the business of selling large hunks of moving metal. They haven't figured out a way to do so profitably yet. 

• Like 5

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/business/jpmorgan-coronavirus-work-home/index.html

JPMorgan Chase is bracing for the coronavirus outbreak by asking thousands of its employees to work from home for a day to test contingency plans, a person familiar with the matter told CNN Business.

The move shows how seriously the largest bank in the United States is taking the risks posed to its operations by the fast-moving health crisis.

Contingency planning at JPMorgan's (JPM) consumer bank, code-named "Project Kennedy," included asking 10% of the staff to work from home for a day to test their remote access capabilities, the person told CNN Business.