Markets still falling like whoa

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Presidential speech announced for 3 EST today. I wonder if he'll talk about economics or not...

I'm sure it'll be STIMULATING right as the markets close

great things happened after his last speech...  what could go wrong?

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Welp Carl Icahn just scared the shit out of me. He just went on CNBC and said his biggest position is a cds play against commercial mortgage backed securities. 

Que es cds play

NM. Credit default swap?

Edited by Dnaguy

6 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Can the fed create money out of thin air and buy stock with it ? Is that a thing? 

Not directly.  But they do create money out of thin air and buy assets from their primary dealers (big banks).  Big banks can then use the proceeds to move the markets.  Plunge Protection Team.

I wanna buy S&P 500 puts; just one for now. I wanna buy one and watch it. That's how I like to learn.

So tell me if I understand this trade. This option is $16/share out of the money, and expires at the end of the year. My trade will only happen if there's a seller willing to sell a put for $30. And that's likely to happen, as there's an ask out there at $27.

How much of the above is correct?5cc7d44c7473eb33b1ffb5dee3267099.jpg1b45175a69cd652a80dc67389f11cc2c.jpg

12 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I didn't listen to the presser, but the market seems to have really like it.
Congrats on defeating the coronavirus, here's to hoping the tecatevirus doesn't get you!

America, fuck yeah!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

cant imagine buying in at end of day. 

Trump caused a short squeeze at close of market today by delaying announcement till 20 minutes before close.

Nice to see more of the private sector stepping up to help with this health crisis... impressive group of CEO's standing along side Trump at today's news conference.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I didn't listen to the presser, but the market seems to have really like it.
Congrats on defeating the coronavirus, here's to hoping the tecatevirus doesn't get you!

I think the market was reacting to the national emergency declaration and not the President’s words, bc that was a cluster fuck 

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Trump caused a short squeeze at close of market today by delaying announcement till 20 minutes before close.

Nice to see more of the private sector stepping up to help with this health crisis... impressive group of CEO's standing along side Trump at today's news conference.

He could’ve caused a massive tank as the circuit breakers don’t factor in within 30 minutes of market close.  While somber, the press conference was a breath of fresh air that we are not going to allow this bullshit to knock us down.   That’s reassuring 

Just having a plan in place to go get tested is significantly reassuring. I think people are impressed with the website/drive thru idea. 

However, if it’s a shit show like the Obama website debacle people go back to panic mode quickly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Caddox said:

Just having a plan in place to go get tested is significantly reassuring. I think people are impressed with the website/drive thru idea. 

However, if it’s a shit show like the Obama website debacle people go back to panic mode quickly. 

They outsourced it to google. They should be able to not fuck this up. 

And they will collect all of the PHI entered into the tool and figure out how to sell it back to the government and private interests. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

They outsourced it to google. They should be able to not fuck this up. 

And they will collect all of the PHI entered into the tool and figure out how to sell it back to the government and private interests. 

No doubt.   Will make the life insurance business pretty interesting 

I'm still pretty comfortable with my decision to get out.  We've got a ways to go down yet.

I do hate that the stock market puts me and many others in the position to selfishly hope that the market gets worse (which will likely correlate with more people getting sick and companies hurting) before it gets better.  Feels dirty.

• Like 1