Markets still falling like whoa

1 hour ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Late Friday and first thing this morning, I started nibbling: bought Boeing, United Airlines, Royal Caribbean, Hilton, and a couple others thinking we’d bounce. Hookers and blow tonight, boys. 

Same same. Bought in mid 20s on RCL. Time to do coke

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Lulz
Kroger third worst today in the S&P500.
(Although only down 2.99%).

Market: fuck groceries! We gettin trillions! TRILLIONS!!!

Also in the bottom 10 today:
Costco, Netflix, Clorox, Verizon, EA Sports.

So everyone who should be doing well and posting serious earnings during this crisis. Ok. Buy the rumor sell the fact. 

Lulz
Kroger third worst today in the S&P500.
(Although only down 2.99%).

Market: fuck groceries! We gettin trillions! TRILLIONS!!!

Also in the bottom 10 today:
Costco, Netflix, Clorox, Verizon, EA Sports.
They're all proxies for quarantine. ZM too. When sentiment is the quarantine's going to last longer they go up. When there's positive economic news, they go down. Watch for when they decouple from quarantine expectations. That's going to signal a new pattern of trading.
  • Like 1

Not sure what Wednesday holds but Thursday is going to be a bloodbath when the worst UI figures in history by a factor of at least 5 are released. Or maybe it won’t. Who knows?

Saw that the labor/UI figs only ran through March 12 so I don’t expect them to look all that bad.

9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Gonna be interesting to see what productivity numbers look like when this is all said and done. Work from home capability over the last 5 years alone seems to have exploded so I wouldn’t bet on a large dropoff as a huge amount of companies have already implemented procedures. 

Based on a few of my coworkers, some aren’t very productive in the office as well. Going home has probably allowed them to stay on course with little drop off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Based on a few of my coworkers, some aren’t very productive in the office as well. Going home has probably allowed them to stay on course with little drop off.

I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The People’s Elbow said:

I got in at around $100. 

Nice.  I got in at 110, just sold at 145.   I'm sure it will really skyrocket now but hoping it will give some back over the next two days and I can buy back in, that's a lot of return in a short period.

16 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

I probably should have!  It's already back up over $150, I'm sure I'll be kicking myself if it doesn't give some back.

well, in my extremely amateur opinion, your window isn’t closed. TBD on how much farther down the market goes, but at some point it’ll be time to buy and hold. I still like Boeing in the long run. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

well, in my extremely amateur opinion, your window isn’t closed. TBD on how much farther down the market goes, but at some point it’ll be time to buy and hold. I still like Boeing in the long run. 

Absolutely agree...there's no reason it won't go back to 398 and higher, probably sooner than later in my amateur opinion, too.  It's not like Airbus can effectively do much to change the duopoly or start dominating market share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

Absolutely agree...there's no reason it won't go back to 398 and higher, probably sooner than later in my amateur opinion, too.  It's not like Airbus can effectively do much to change the duopoly or start dominating market share.

There's also little Boeing can do to increase revenue.  They won't just bounce back on earnings or market share.  This is about as bad a 2 year stretch for any corporation ever, they're the 2000s AMD of aerospace 

Just now, squeegeedegg said:

There's also little Boeing can do to increase revenue.  They won't just bounce back on earnings or market share.  This is about as bad a 2 year stretch for any corporation ever, they're the 2000s AMD of aerospace 

Bear market bounce but who cares.  2 days in a row feels gooooood.  Especially given my biggest buying days were last week.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Today has me back to break-even on some GE stock I bought last summer.  Would you all continue holding tight or think we will give any of these recent gains back? 

Full Disclosure.  I am in GE at a much higher cost than you.

I would LOVE to get out break-even.  Sell that fucker and move on to something that can grow and grow it's dividend.  I totally fell into the "rock solid dividend payer, bluest of the blue chips..." trap.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Full Disclosure.  I am in GE at a much higher cost than you.

I would LOVE to get out break-even.  Sell that fucker and move on to something that can grow and grow it's dividend.  I totally fell into the "rock solid dividend payer, bluest of the blue chips..." trap.

GE's been in a rough spot for quite a while now. Since they spun out the financing part of the business there wasn't that much growth left for GE to cling onto, nevermind the rampant mismanagement in the last couple of years

Just now, Wiler77 said:

So everyone is of the opinion this is a quick bounce, but overall will likely settle back in lower, right?  Chance to make quick money on a few stocks, but buy and hold is extremely risky.  Trying to understand the general consensus.

This is a very complicated case, Willer77. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man.

Obligatory

3 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

So everyone is of the opinion this is a quick bounce, but overall will likely settle back in lower, right?  Chance to make quick money on a few stocks, but buy and hold is extremely risky.  Trying to understand the general consensus.

That's how I'm looking at it.  I'm as far from an expert as you can get, but I think we're still looking at a lot of volatility at least through April as company's begin reporting what financial impacts this has had on them.  Obviously some factors are being priced in now but as anyone knows, you can know a punch in the face is coming and it doesn't make it any easier to handle when it hits.

I really hope the travel stocks haven't bottomed out already.