Markets still falling like whoa

41 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

So everyone is of the opinion this is a quick bounce, but overall will likely settle back in lower, right?  Chance to make quick money on a few stocks, but buy and hold is extremely risky.  Trying to understand the general consensus.

It all depends on your time horizon.  buy and hold at 20K/2400 will look like genius 10 years from now. of course you have to get out before the next virus China lets loose.

I don't know that everyone thinks that, I have seen multiple people on the tube today saying just that. And others saying we may have seen the bottom. 

I think everyone thinks there will be continued volatility, what they dont agree on is will there be bigger down days or up days in the future. 

TLDR - no one knows shit. 

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

So everyone is of the opinion this is a quick bounce, but overall will likely settle back in lower, right?  Chance to make quick money on a few stocks, but buy and hold is extremely risky.  Trying to understand the general consensus.

They’ll let you know when it bottoms out. Just relax until then. 

3 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

If you get the fill, you are stealing that stock.  Good luck.

Didn't even come close, but it was one of those deals where if it did drop that low I couldn't help but make money in a day or two.

Taking Wally's dad's advice, man "Only trade when you will make money."

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Hospital systems gonna start having financial problems very soon.

They are also going to have operational problems when they can't handle all the cases; the news here is that the Beaumont Hospital system, which is 8 hospitals in the Detroit metro area, basically have all beds full and are looking for overflow relief.  And nationally Detroit isn't even making the news, which tells me there is plenty more like it if you know were to look.

Any investor holding equities knows this has been a terrible year. That is, any investor who hasn’t been buying at the close on Monday and selling 24 hours later.

Though the S&P 500 index is still down by around 24% in 2020, a series of strong Tuesdays means an investor who held S&P 500 stocks on the second day of the working week alone would be up more than 16%.

Holding the same stocks on any other day of the week would have produced returns varying from Friday’s modest -2.8% to Monday’s horrendous -19.5%.

It isn’t a new phenomenon. In 2008, investors also would have made money in a dismal year for stocks globally by holding U.S. equities on Tuesdays alone. Since 1980, Tuesdays have been the best day of the week for the index by far.

One folk theory behind the pattern is that during bear markets, traders react to bad news over the weekend in bleak Monday trading, and recover on Tuesdays as investors reverse a perceived overreaction.

Once again, believers in market efficiency may be left scratching their heads.

I now have a decent accumulation of SOXS calls at 20 and 25 (apr expiration). Bought more when it dipped to around 17.5 earlier, so now they are all slightly green. Just need one good semiconductor bed shitting in the next week or so. Not crazy about holding calls on 3X leveraged ETFs, but this fucker moves around enough that the payoff could be nice. Or I could end up with a handful of shit. Either way day trading gambling has definately ratcheted up a notch or two since the WFH commenced. May need a second external monitor for my personal laptop for maximum degeneracy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

A record number of Americans filed for their first week of unemployment benefits last week, as businesses shut down to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Initial jobless claims soared to a seasonally adjusted 3.28 million in the week ended March 21, according to the Department of Labor.

That is the highest number of initial jobless claims in history, since the Department of Labor started tracking the data in 1967. The previous high was 695,000 claims filed in the week ending October 2, 1982.

Last week's jump marked a massive increase from a revised 282,000 claims in the prior week. Prior to the pandemic, initial claims had been hovering in the low 200,000s each week, reflecting a strong job market.

But in the last couple weeks, the coronavirus outbreak has forced many businesses to suddenly shut down as the country tries to slow the spreading virus. For many businesses that also means laying off workers, at least temporarily.

That is the key difference between the coronavirus shock compared with past periods of economic distress: it is sudden and impacts virtually every industry and business model around.

Economists now expect the US economy to fall into a recession in the second quarter, before staging a comeback later in the year after the spread of the virus slows.

Futures markets are on a tear upwards since this number was released, erasing most of the losses.

Edited by Blotto

17 hours ago, hornbri said:

I don't know that everyone thinks that, I have seen multiple people on the tube today saying just that. And others saying we may have seen the bottom.   I think everyone thinks there will be continued volatility, what they dont agree on is will there be bigger down days or up days in the future. 

TLDR - no one knows shit. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Worst unemployment claims data of all-time, oil is down 5%, hospitals are on the brink of catastrophe and we’re up 5% on the day. Makes sense.

maybe the market is right, and oil, hospitals, and unemployment #s are wrong. 🤔🤔🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:28 PM, Incredulity said:

Just heard a replay of Bill Ackman.

If that fucker bought any stock anytime near that the SEC should crawl straight up his ass.

lololololol

Bill Ackman turned a net profit of more than $2 billion on Monday after he sold his bets against the market less than one week after warning CNBC that "hell is coming"

He then used those proceeds to wager that existing Pershing bets, including hotel operator Hilton Worldwide, would rebound. 

The Ackman about-face came less than one week after he told CNBC that the United States was in jeopardy unless the White House closed the country.

That he added to his Hilton position using the money he earned from his bets against the market is notable after saying the stock could be headed to zero.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/bill-ackman-exits-market-hedges-uses-2-billion-he-made-to-buy-more-stocks-including-hilton.html