Markets still falling like whoa

never been in here before.  the bottom is coming.  is it 16?  don't know.  but there are some things that are going to get bought for a massive premium on the other side because of what they are.

and apologies for not having the time to have read this thread, but what is the best vendor for straight up gambling trading?  i used to have an etrade account, i have 401k at Fidelity, IRA at Chase, but this is for straight up gambling.

if i were to dollar-cost average in to something i need a cheapo flat fee per trade.  what sez the surl.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

never been in here before.  the bottom is coming.  is it 16?  don't know.  but there are some things that are going to get bought for a massive premium on the other side because of what they are.

and apologies for not having the time to have read this thread, but what is the best vendor for straight up gambling trading?  i used to have an etrade account, i have 401k at Fidelity, IRA at Chase, but this is for straight up gambling.

if i were to dollar-cost average in to something i need a cheapo flat fee per trade.  what sez the surl.

all the platforms have zero fee trades now.

10 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

TDAmeritrade works for me.  No commissions and very good fills.  If you’re into charting, they got everything you could ever need.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

TDAmeritrade works for me.  No commissions and very good fills.  If you’re into charting, they got everything you could ever need.

Yep.  TD has great charting tech and fills well.  Also has pretty lenient/easy access to options/futures/currencies/etc. 

I was just thinking of jumping off TD.  Don't like the layout.  But if it works for the people who know a lot more than me (Trey and Nuggets) I'll have to reconsider.  I did get hit with a trade fee last week for some reason, but haven't again?  I haven't dug into it but sure as shit did.  I also haven't been hit for several other trades in last few weeks so who knows.

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I was just thinking of jumping off TD.  Don't like the layout.  But if it works for the people who know a lot more than me (Trey and Nuggets) I'll have to reconsider.  I did get hit with a trade fee last week for some reason, but haven't again?  I haven't dug into it but sure as shit did.  I also haven't been hit for several other trades in last few weeks so who knows.

was it for options trading? I know E*Trade does free trades of stocks, but buying and selling options still has a fee. 

25 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You need to do all your trading on the desktop or mobile platform, never use online.  

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  TD has great charting tech and fills well.  Also has pretty lenient/easy access to options/futures/currencies/etc. 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

was it for options trading? I know E*Trade does free trades of stocks, but buying and selling options still has a fee. 

I think that TD has a $0.65 / option fee.... Vanguard has $1? Don’t know about Etrade or Fidelity. 
I’ll have to check.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i think the pound is good for a 20% jump coming out of covid.  ...

I don't forex and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I'm pretty sure the trading on the pound is highly related to issues related to Brexit trade negotiations which are still ongoing AFAIK.

27 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I think that TD has a $0.65 / option fee.... Vanguard has $1? Don’t know about Etrade or Fidelity. 
I’ll have to check.

I use etrade. Options are $0.50 per contract, and I think they now have a policy that if you close out options contacts that are valued less than $0.10 cents per contract, you don't even pay anything. I have been thinking about finding another platform, but I need to familiarize myself with the power ETrade platform, which offers different charting and analysis tools for options than you have access to on the standard Etrade platform.

Motley Fool has been running the same marketing campaign for years where they tout an all-in idea that you only have access to once you sign up for their service. You can usually search on google and end up with a link to a message board discussion of the "trade of the month" and you can figure out the stock they are touting. Last time I remember doing that, the stock was NVDA, but it's never a stock I wasn't already aware of. 

Edit - a quick search indicates the company is likely The Trade Desk (TDD), which Motley Fool has been pushing for years. Here's an article from about a year ago, that seems to match up. TDD did have quite a run since they first started promoting it, but a lot of tech stocks have had similar performance during the last 3 years.

https://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/motley-fool-stock-advisor/motley-fool-issues-rare-home-run-buy-alert/

Edited by Blotto

does anyone here dally in forex?

i think the pound is good for a 20% jump coming out of covid.  yes, it found 2 lower levels of support since nixon ditched the gold standard, but it NEVER stays this low, it always goes back up 25-35% after dollar-safe-harbor events.  imho.

dollarpound.png

Currencies require way too much leverage to make any money for my tastes.

does anyone here dally in forex?
i think the pound is good for a 20% jump coming out of covid.  yes, it found 2 lower levels of support since nixon ditched the gold standard, but it NEVER stays this low, it always goes back up 25-35% after dollar-safe-harbor events.  imho.
https://i.ibb.co/z4f6fgm/dollarpound.png[/img]

The British are properly fucked

12 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

On southwest he sold 2.3mm shares for $74mm to get just below 10%. He avoids having to make disclosures now until May 15th. Unless he is purposely trying to drive shares down to buy more and eventually buy the company then he’s going to do the preferred deal.

Thanks!!

Also a great explanation on 10% rule in video below...

23 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

On southwest he sold 2.3mm shares for $74mm to get just below 10%. He avoids having to make disclosures now until May 15th. Unless he is purposely trying to drive shares down to buy more and eventually buy the company then he’s going to do the preferred deal.

Buffet loves him some preferred stock deals at outrageous rates that wind up bankrupting the company... see $OXY.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Don’t think that pref deal has anything to do with fucking oxy.

They were going to have to get shareholder approval to do the deal to buy APC unless they could increase the cash component of the acquisition.  Uncle Warren was kind enough to "loan" them $10 bln at 10% to let it go through without shareholders having any say.  There's a reason Viki and the gang didn't want it to go to a shareholder vote and if that deal never happened OXY would at least have a fighting chance.

As it is, the combined OXY + APC are going to be toast within a year.  It's an absolute travesty what happened there - I'm glad I took my 30% loss on OXY stock last year instead of trying to ride it back up.  When you see the big wigs act that careless with shareholder money, time to bail.

• Like 2

They were going to have to get shareholder approval to do the deal to buy APC unless they could increase the cash component of the acquisition.  Uncle Warren was kind enough to "loan" them $10 bln at 10% to let it go through without shareholders having any say.  There's a reason Viki and the gang didn't want it to go to a shareholder vote and if that deal never happened OXY would at least have a fighting chance.
As it is, the combined OXY + APC are going to be toast within a year.  It's an absolute travesty what happened there - I'm glad I took my 30% loss on OXY stock last year instead of trying to ride it back up.  When you see the big wigs act that careless with shareholder money, time to bail.

Yeah, my point is oil collapse and pandemic killed the deal, not the layer of preferred. Don’t remember oxys debt profile pre anadarko but I’m sure they were at lease somewhat levered. They’d be fucked no matter what...along with everyone else

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Yeah, my point is oil collapse and pandemic killed the deal, not the layer of preferred. Don’t remember oxys debt profile pre anadarko but I’m sure they were at lease somewhat levered. They’d be fucked no matter what...along with everyone else

They said the deal would work at $50 / bbl, which is great.  But what about $40 / bbl or $30 / bbl?  It's not like those prices were not out of the realm of possibility a year ago when the deal was made.  One year ago if you didn't think oil could go back to the 40's or 30's within a couple of years you were fooling yourself.

$OXY cut the dividend to shareholders to basically nothing, but they still had to pay Uncle Warren.  Shareholders got $9MM in dividends while Uncle Warren still gets $900MM.  You don't think that $900MM could go a ways to help keep the company alive a bit longer?

Vicki and the board absolutely fucked those two companies and they will be in Ch 11 within a year. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 1

Shareholders got $9MM in dividends while Uncle Warren still gets $900MM.  You don't think that $900MM could go a ways to help keep the company alive a bit longer?
Vicki and the board absolutely fucked those two companies and they will be in Ch 11 within a year. 

Don’t forget the deal break-up fee. Wonder if Vicki and Wirth had any side convos in DC yesterday?

“Thanks for the $1B cancellation fee Vicki. CVX’s stock purchase program was great in Q3 & 4. How’s that whole APC/Buffett/Icahn deal going?”
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bluto said:

The Old man just sold off a shit ton of his shares of delta and SWA. So much for airline confidence

Airline stocks have *NEVER* been a solid long OTHER than SWA up until 9/11.  Everyone forgets that SWA split 11 times between 1980 and Feb 2001.  1000 shares at the beginning resulted in 106000+ shares on the last split.  I was not old enough or smart enough to get in.  Then it had a massive run-up starting in '13 with the AirTran merger and it took 6 years to triple in value.   But the airlines are too vulnerable to Wall Street pressures to operate stupidly and inhumanely.  They should be required to go private and subject to re-regulation.

26 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Airline stocks have *NEVER* been a solid long OTHER than SWA up until 9/11.  Everyone forgets that SWA split 11 times between 1980 and Feb 2001.  1000 shares at the beginning resulted in 106000+ shares on the last split.  I was not old enough or smart enough to get in.  Then it had a massive run-up starting in '13 with the AirTran merger and it took 6 years to triple in value.   But the airlines are too vulnerable to Wall Street pressures to operate stupidly and inhumanely.  They should be required to go private and subject to re-regulation.

I did ok with SAVE ... they are really good at revenue extraction.  But they are really more like flying bus service.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Buffit seems like a particularly cunning motherfucker so I figured buying some BRKB is not a bad move in a bear market

I used to think that way.  They under/same perform SPY pretty consistently.

I may be wrong, but consistently beating the market is NOT something that happens with any frequency & consistency.

49 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Why?

I get that service and amenities are essentially non-existent, but airfare is unbelievably affordable.

i was a very young broke something during the 2001 crash, I was still a young still kind of broke during the 2008 crash, meaning i missed the decent rebounds from both just due to lack of big funds.  I would like to think im finally somewhat in a better spot this time around to ride the rebound to surly glory, in hopes that there is a good rebound like years past

2 hours ago, Loco said:

I used to think that way.  They under/same perform SPY pretty consistently.

I may be wrong, but consistently beating the market is NOT something that happens with any frequency & consistency.

They are underweighted in tech which was the recent darling but over 1/2 year windows they can outperform SPY.  I can see them climb out of this stronger, and rebalance later

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

They are underweighted in tech which was the recent darling but over 1/2 year windows they can outperform SPY.  I can see them climb out of this stronger, and rebalance later

I'd love to see that chart...  I've had brkb forever...  always seemed to closely match S&P over any significant period of time.  Sure they could be up vs SPY for a month or so, then the opposite.  I am not an active investor so I didn't follow it closer than ever 6 months or so I'd see how things are going.  I know I was hoping brkb would pop comming out of 2008 but it didn't seem to happen to a greater extent than the market.  The bigger they are the harder it is to beat the market by any meaningful %

saupload_brka-480x288.jpg

6 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

i was a very young broke something during the 2001 crash, I was still a young still kind of broke during the 2008 crash, meaning i missed the decent rebounds from both just due to lack of big funds.  I would like to think im finally somewhat in a better spot this time around to ride the rebound to surly glory, in hopes that there is a good rebound like years past

So how are you getting back in?