Markets still falling like whoa

Did anyone happen to see the explosion between Andrew Ross and Joe Kernan on CNBC this morning?  Those two have been swapping insults for several months now and I wonder how much longer CNBC is going to put up with the snarking.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Did anyone happen to see the explosion between Andrew Ross and Joe Kernan on CNBC this morning?  Those two have been swapping insults for several months now and I wonder how much longer CNBC is going to put up with the snarking.  

They really got a bit Surly with each other. I missed that, thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Damn...that is something a producer needs to review...I’m not sure if they’re going for drama...but they actually seem to genuinely not like each other.

FWIW IMO Why you just stay in the market and don’t freak and question why why why...no one knows...the only thing we do know is the markets biggest moves in a recovery typically happen in a matter days...you can’t time this shit...I don’t try. And it’s worked out for me...but I know others play the market differently. Every investor has their own way...but that back and forth was a shit show.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I like both of them quite a bit, but ARS tends to get super full of himself sometimes and won’t take any other opinion offered as palatable.   

While you are correct, you could also write the same thing about Joe Kernan. What makes it hard to watch is that they end up talking over each other, cutting the other one off and just repeating the same thing. I envision it as a Spy v. Spy cartoon

Edited by Wally Fairway

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Imo it will be worse.  

One, some places should have opened up sooner - like Chicago where hospitals have plenty of capacity but we are still stuck with nothing open - so when they say lockdown a second time nobody will listen. 

Two, coronaviruses tend to wreak more havoc in cold weather anyway and there’s very little herd immunity, which could have helped mitigate the second wave.  

I truly expect the government to flat out lie, hide the stats, do whatever it takes to make it appear there is no second wave even if there is one.  No one will know about the second wave until they look around and notice everyone else is dead.

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I like both of them quite a bit, but ARS tends to get super full of himself sometimes and won’t take any other opinion offered as palatable.   

This.  ARS showed his ass.

Joe threw a quip at him and ARS popped his lid.

Yeah, Joe is Conservative and Sorkin is a Liberal.  The normal dynamic is usually lightly chippy.  I would say it is usually Joe throwing quips at Sorkin and Sorkin shaking it off or countering lightly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

LOL at Becky intro eating popcorn while waiting for those two to kiss and make up this morning.  

Yeah I saw that we're ok kiss and make up performance.  Andrew still seemed a little steamed...

Watching Becky eat popcorn me likey!! 

Becky_Quick_.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

I've had CNBC on in the background for the past few months WFH.  Basically, all day every day.  It's an addictively ridiculous network.  The menagerie of hosts they have come and go throughout the day.  Some are at home, some aren't, and some rotate.  There's always something going on.  "Breaking News!"  Scrolls at the bottom.  Dumb quotes all day from hedge fund guys from places like "North Point Capital" or something.  Occasionally, they'll have CEO's from various companies and they bring some good insight.  (The hedge fund guys are generally the same.  "Market has found it's bottom.  V shaped curve!"  Shit like that.

Joe is fairly Trumpy.  Kept saying this was like the flu from the beginning.  He's paired with Cramer who is a fucking idiot.  ARS is a smarmy liberal.  Would fit in well here.  I like all the female hosts throughout the day.  They generally have some snark to them and are on point.

Still laugh at this:

ff751d8f6fd8c0fc4c4ceb84d09c5d04.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 7:44 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

DG will hold up better because it's more rural footprint.  (They're in towns so small that there are no other options.)  The other chains like Family Dollar are more urban and have a higher exposure to the virus.

I just want to congratulate myself on this.  Their same store sales are up like +25% or something.  

Well done, AB.  Well done.  That'll be $9.95.

13 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

this was hilarious.  ARS clearly didn't like being reminded that he has been wrong and so he dropped the big guns out and said Joe missed it on the way down and then added the cheap shot about 100k deaths and followed that up with 'you're just doing this to support your buddy Trump'. 

Under normal times, ARS asks the insightful questions and Joe bumbles around asking questions trying to lead whoever the guest is to the answer he wants to hear.  

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 8:30 AM, Captainant said:

I wish someone could explain how we could rally in the stock market while at historically high unemployment numbers that are still getting worse. Just breaks every basic assumption on how markets work, the engine of consumption is shrinking so why is the market growing, if this isn't all just a bubble?

Fed money bridging the gap until everything goes back to normal. 

I don't think the "normal" is happening as quickly as people think. There are going to be some really awful earning reports coming in the next couple of quarters. 

The next couple of months for a shit ton of small business owners who drive the middle class will be telling. 

2 minutes ago, HoffaJimmy said:

The next couple of months for a shit ton of small business owners who drive the middle class will be telling. 

IMO, the fact that the formal economic projections haven't been released yet is a bellweather for the economic hardship to come. 

• Like 1

I think I already posted this either in this thread or the more generic Economy thread...

The monthly tally of defaults in the U.S. leveraged loan market has hit a six-year high, data from Fitch Ratings showed, as companies are either missing payments or filing for bankruptcy because of the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-debt-leveraged-idUSKBN22X1BD

Follow up:

Banks are selling leveraged loans backing acquisitions at the fastest pace in months as they seek to shed risk accumulated prior to the pandemic.
Analysts are more gloomy on the outlook for loans compared to junk bonds, which have seen spreads tighten about 190 basis points since the Federal Reserve’s historic pledge to buy some speculative-grade debt early last month.

UBS Group AG strategists wrote last week that the global leveraged loan market is vulnerable to a sell-off as earnings weaken and defaults stack up. They expect U.S. leveraged loan spreads to revisit March wides of 825bps from the 672bps level recently seen as default risk increases.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-26/flurry-of-risky-loans-hit-market-as-banks-start-to-clear-backlog

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

team #bloomberg

I love Bloomberg as well, but their website went to complete shit when Bloomberg was in the running for nomination.  Almost all of their business objectivity went out the window.  

I do still love me some Betty Liu, and Brian Sullivan, one of my favorite CNBC anchors, was a longtime Bloomberg alum.   

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I love Bloomberg as well, but their website went to complete shit when Bloomberg was in the running for nomination.  Almost all of their business objectivity went out the window.  

I do still love me some Betty Liu, and Brian Sullivan, one of my favorite CNBC anchors, was a longtime Bloomberg alum.   

I like Matt Levine's column and Tracy Alloway's twitter

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bernorange said:

Federal Reserve’s historic pledge to buy some speculative-grade debt early last month

Expand that window Federal Reserve to keep the priming fluid flowing in the entire system and we won't need a fiscal solution. 

Stop too soon and there will be fundamental roadblocks to a meaningful recovery. And the people - rightfully - will blame the Fed. 

The China issue is not going away. No way Congress does anything remotely helpful. More deflationary headwinds, so the Fed must go on. The Fed Beige Book supports more monetary stimulus. The Fed just needs to point the spigot in a different direction. Too big to fail remains a bulwark of this economic system - since at least 2007. It is parched below the TBTF institutions. 

Edited by washparkhorn

17 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
19 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:
pandemic + mass unemployment + civil unrest is exactly what gets the bulls going. 

Dont forget the threats made to China today

The threats made to China moved the market up