Markets still falling like whoa

2 hours ago, bluto said:

The hell has caused slack to tank today? Earnings due this afternoon and all the buzz is positive it seems

Goldman Sachs advised demand for all things stay at home may be waning. 

Slack (WORK - NYSE) had one hell of a May. 

Edited by washparkhorn

4 hours ago, bluto said:

The hell has caused slack to tank today? Earnings due this afternoon and all the buzz is positive it seems

OUCH -- Not so good in after hours for WORK.

31.92 -6.01 (-15.84%)
After hours: 4:26PM EDT

Edited by LTtxfan

Thank gosh I sold off 75% of my slack yesterday or I’d be crying. Got caught up with actual work shit and decided to just say f it with not setting a stop... paid DEARLY. Fortunately what was left in today was essentially just the profit but damn lesson learned for relatively cheap

Most my Vanguard broad market ETFs and Mutual funds are back at pre-covid levels. Hell, one of them is actually higher (VWUSX). I made a few individual purchases of TSLA (bought and sold earlier for a 30% gain), AXP, and LUV, which have all done quite nicely. I think AXP and LUV have a lot more upside. My personal belief is that the economic recovery will be quite quick once the Covid-19 threat is past (I do expect another hit in the fall though). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So how much do you think the markets will go up on the news of only a couple million more people seeking unemployment, rather than 4 million? All time highs, perhaps?

well there was a 2.5M gain in jobs vs a 7.5M expected lost so I would expect an increase. 

Edited by hornbri

One major point that I heard brought up about this employment number is that it probably reflects the PPP loans taking effect. End of July through August is when those funds are out. Those employment numbers will be the real test. Might be wise to get some straddles for that time period.

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

About 50% invested. Conflicted on whether I start selling gains or hold and just buy more if we go back down this summer. Anyone like $ZI here?

Should get to $100 based soley on the fact that the company name has Zoom in it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

One major point that I heard brought up about this employment number is that it probably reflects the PPP loans taking effect. End of July through August is when those funds are out. Those employment numbers will be the real test. Might be wise to get some straddles for that time period.

one thing about PPP.  originally it had to be spent/used over 8 weeks.  then I think they extended it to 10.  it may extend to 24 weeks. apparently there is a bill going through that will do that.  

6 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

About 50% invested. Conflicted on whether I start selling gains or hold and just buy more if we go back down this summer. Anyone like $ZI here?

sell calls on it. 220$ with 20 days expiry nets you 550$ per contract

7 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I'm about 50% invested too.  Have misread these markets every fricken day since February 1, 2020.  Someone said short S&P500.  If I do it will rocket up like SpaceX Dragon.  

I still think Q3 and Q4 are going to be a bit of trouble.  large companies are right now are really going to dive deep in to how they are spending their money and I think that is going to cause layoffs. the shutdown exposed a lot of stuff for large corps.

Its not going to be a bloodletting but it is going to hurt.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

one thing about PPP.  originally it had to be spent/used over 8 weeks.  then I think they extended it to 10.  it may extend to 24 weeks. apparently there is a bill going through that will do that.  

My own personal experience with that is that the guidance extending the timeline came out well after the second round came out. I had already set my payroll based on the guidance and it had been in place for two pay cycles already. Just my experience, though.

10 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

2 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I'm about 50% invested too.  Have misread these markets every fricken day since February 1, 2020.  Someone said short S&P500.  If I do it will rocket up like SpaceX Dragon.  

LOL - I wish I was 50% invested in the market, unfortunately I've short the market via puts. The only thing saving me is a long SPY position that my puts started out as a hedge against, and a lucky guess on buying BA $125 calls that are printing money (and now I'm sure I've jinxed that one too)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

My own personal experience with that is that the guidance extending the timeline came out well after the second round came out. I had already set my payroll based on the guidance and it had been in place for two pay cycles already. Just my experience, though.

agree.  I did hear that as well and yes it isn't as if business got 6 months worth of PPP.  didn't mean to confuse.

6 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Trying to time the markets, consistently, is a rough proposition.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep. I’ve mentioned it before in this thread. The largest gains after a recession/correction/big drop are typically in a matter of days.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

I have never timed markets.  I went to 30% cash position from about 10% 3 weeks ago and put everything else in large cap/S&P./retirement fund.   moved all Small/med cap to mixture of cash and large cap.

should have left it alone like I usually do but I'm still concerned about small biz later this year and I probably didn't lose a ton by doing it at this point.

what do people think about bond funds right now?

46 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

This is what I just told my wife. Very interesting to watch as no small business should have been shaving payroll prior to 6/30 or whenever and should be incentivized to hire back. 

I said the second I saw the PPP that it was the best move that could have possibly been made, and it’s lying dividends now. 

Will that hold?  I don’t know,  it it sure as shit was the best play. 

Big props to the president, the turtle, and Pelosi and everyone else involved for coming together and getting something smart done in a time of emergency. Makes me feel better about the government that they can do something smart when there’s a big enough gun pointed at their head. 

For me professionally this jobs report will cost me serious me serious money as I have some serious interest rate exposure through no fault of my own, but I have less fear of Depression than I have for about 4 months. 

Good day for America right now. Feels like some hope after some really fucking dark months. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

Yep. I’ve mentioned it before in this thread. The largest gains after a recession/correction/big drop are typically in a matter of days.

I know.  I'm feeling like I have good company in Buffett lol.  He bought airlines high and sold low.  Us old folks who are generally pessimistic shouldn't ever time a market.  I just thought the news going into February was sooooooooooooo bad it was time to raise cash.  

• Like 1