Markets still falling like whoa

Remind me to jump off shit when it balloons instead of being greedy. I rode BIGC from $70 to $150 and did I jump off? No.

I rode RKT from $18 to $31 and did I jump off? No.

I bought some Tesla at $420 Friday evening because iTs IrOnIc bEcAusE eLoN sMoKeD wEeD witH jOe RoGan and everyone is done pulling out their profits before labor day weekend and was it smart? No.

Indeed. TSLA getting smoked right now (down~15%) after the S&P juke on Friday. Another 90% and I'll become interested. On the flip side, NKLA up 25% on the announcement that they have partnered with GM to build the Badger pickup. At the end of the day, I'm not sure what NKLA really brings to GM other than a fancy powerpoint slide of what they want their pick up to look like, but its possible that GM hasnt even made it to the powerpoint stage yet, so perhaps its a win-win. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Tailgate said:

I don’t believe we will see circuit breakers again in 2020. But we will see an overdue correction kick in and settle down some of these high fliers.

While I agree, I see one scenario where we could head into circuit breakers....but I don't want to take this thread into deep hole of politics and conspiracy theories (I try to avoid that board)

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Time for the 1-2 combo of stimulus money and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTT

Senate is going to vote as early as this week...on something they admitted will not pass.   
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/08/coronavirus-stimulus-update-mitch-mcconnell-announces-vote-on-relief-bill.html

On Friday, Mnuchin said as soon as Congress approves, they could have stimulus funds out within a week.   

On 9/6/2020 at 10:17 PM, dad said:

Remind me to jump off shit when it balloons instead of being greedy. I rode BIGC from $70 to $150 and did I jump off? No.

I rode RKT from $18 to $31 and did I jump off? No.

I bought some Tesla at $420 Friday evening because iTs IrOnIc bEcAusE eLoN sMoKeD wEeD witH jOe RoGan and everyone is done pulling out their profits before labor day weekend and was it smart? No.

South Austin’s mom was riding my big c on Labor Day 

45 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I don’t believe we will see circuit breakers again in 2020. But we will see an overdue correction kick in and settle down some of these high fliers.

The market is almost exactly at the same level it was when the Q1 shitshow began. The  market has been, and will continue to be a confidence game at this point. You lose that confidence and there aint a goddamn thing the fed can do to stop the route other than shut the markets. I am not predicting a route, but its not that difficult to come up with a few scenarios that could cause another. The economy is not out of the woods, far from it. Whether the market gradually acknowledges that, or does it in a hurry, who knows. Add in the political environment that Wally alluded to above, and the remainder of this year will be interesting. 

TLDR, if forced to take a bet on whether we hit some circuit breakers between now and the end of the year, I would take the "yes" bet all day long. 

Well if they signed a pledge, that sounds like they mean business. I'm sure  they will proceed with the utmost caution, with no regard for any "special dates"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/health/covid-19-vaccine-pharmaceutical-companies-pledge-bn/index.html

(CNN)Nine biopharmaceutical companies have signed a joint pledge to uphold "high ethical standards," suggesting they won't seek premature government approval for Covid-19 vaccines.

This pledge, released on Tuesday, states: "We, the undersigned biopharmaceutical companies, want to make clear our on-going commitment to developing and testing potential vaccines for COVID-19 in accordance with high ethical standards and sound scientific principles."

The companies that signed the pledge include AstraZeneca, BioNTech, Moderna, Pfizer, Novavax, Sanofi, GlaxoSmithKline, Johnson & Johnson and Merck.

The pledge comes at a time when President Trump has repeatedly pushed for a quick vaccine timeline -- even referencing Election Day in November.

"[It's] going to be done in a very short period of time -- could even have it during the month of October," the President said at a press briefing on Monday. "We'll have the vaccine soon, maybe before a special date. You know what date I'm talking about."

Whats that? Our stock will likely double if we announce our vaccine in October??? See we signed this pledge.....

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Shareholder value > Non-shareholder value

I wonder if they can get the US government to agree to indemnify them against all legal repercussions of proceeding with the vaccine? If so, you can image they will be wiping their ass with that pledge in the C-Suite crapper. 

44 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I wonder if they can get the US government to agree to indemnify them against all legal repercussions of proceeding with the vaccine? If so, you can image they will be wiping their ass with that pledge in the C-Suite crapper. 

I'm not sure we can get our government to agree on anything. /no cr

Noticed an article on the upcoming IPO for Snowflake (cloud-based data-warehousing startup) hoping to price between $75-$85, for a market cap ~$21-$24 billion. Not surprisingly they have the same high-growth/huge-losses story that many of these tech unicorns display. The surprising thing here is that Berkshire is investing $500 million in this one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/snowflakes-ipo-could-value-high-193911739.html

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/24/a-quick-peek-at-snowflakes-ipo-filing/

That amount is fairly trivial for a company sitting on well over $100 billion in cash, but it is not the type of company that Berkshire traditionally invests in. The only thing I can figure is Warren and gang have just given up on finding "value" in the market, so they are taking a stab at locking in at the IPO price and hope to see the same fucktarded run-up most of these software unicorns have experienced. Gonna laugh if this one craters. Strange days when Warren gets so shook by the market that he abandons his historical approach to investing.  

From an interview last year

“In 54 years, I don’t think Berkshire has ever bought a new issue,” Buffett told CNBC’s Becky Quick on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Snowflake is a pretty cool product but doesn't really have any secret sauce technology wise. If they're successful, they're going to see a ton of cheaper competitors doing the same thing pop up. It's just a cloud based SQL server with some flexible cost options and a few neat user interfaces laid on top. 

That probably means their stock will triple in value from IPO price.

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Snowflake is a pretty cool product but doesn't really have any secret sauce technology wise. If they're successful, they're going to see a ton of cheaper competitors doing the same thing pop up. It's just a cloud based SQL server with some flexible cost options and a few neat user interfaces laid on top. 

“Always remember you are unique.

Just like everybody else”

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Blotto said:

Noticed an article on the upcoming IPO for Snowflake (cloud-based data-warehousing startup) hoping to price between $75-$85, for a market cap ~$21-$24 billion. Not surprisingly they have the same high-growth/huge-losses story that many of these tech unicorns display. The surprising thing here is that Berkshire is investing $500 million in this one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/snowflakes-ipo-could-value-high-193911739.html

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/24/a-quick-peek-at-snowflakes-ipo-filing/

That amount is fairly trivial for a company sitting on well over $100 billion in cash, but it is not the type of company that Berkshire traditionally invests in. The only thing I can figure is Warren and gang have just given up on finding "value" in the market, so they are taking a stab at locking in at the IPO price and hope to see the same fucktarded run-up most of these software unicorns have experienced. Gonna laugh if this one craters. Strange days when Warren gets so shook by the market that he abandons his historical approach to investing.  

From an interview last year

when you get to the level of fuck you money, i guess its time to play the lotto and see what happens.

on another note  F you to whoever posted the tractor pull video, i just went down a 1 hour rabbit hole on youtube because its been 30 years since ive been to a tractor pull

45 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

when you get to the level of fuck you money, i guess its time to play the lotto and see what happens.

on another note  F you to whoever posted the tractor pull video, i just went down a 1 hour rabbit hole on youtube because its been 30 years since ive been to a tractor pull

pu$$y

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

They are crushing it right now... I’ll likely buy some at IPO.

SMH at the sales reps that left my company to go work there while I stuck around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Software is such a flighty industry.  I see people with multiple consecutive tenures of one year or less, actually, I've moved 3 times in 5 years.  But each time, the offer was so overwhelming, I had to.

Trick is to find that rocket ship (like Snowflake) and milk it.  Software is often a commodity unfortunately.  Buddy works at Zoom and he tells me every rep is over 200%.  Of course, he tends to exaggerate, so IDK.

28 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Software is such a flighty industry.  I see people with multiple consecutive tenures of one year or less, actually, I've moved 3 times in 5 years.  But each time, the offer was so overwhelming, I had to.

And the crazy part is that a series of 1-2 year stays doesn't even raise an eyebrow of recruiters or hiring managers. I actually had a recruiter for a tech company in California tell me that he gets weirded out if someone has been with their company for more than five years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

And the crazy part is that a series of 1-2 year stays doesn't even raise an eyebrow of recruiters or hiring managers. I actually had a recruiter for a tech company in California tell me that he gets weirded out if someone has been with their company for more than five years. 

Yeah, Idk how it is in other sales worlds, but it's volatile as fuck in software.  Yes, there's definitely the 60 year old guy with the rolodex  OTE'ing 500k, but those are few and far between.  You have to move to get raises in this world, hence me moving three times in 5 years.   Product can get stale, quotas get raised, etc.  That's what I get for jacking around at school I guess.

What's even crazier about the one year stays is there's probably some 6 month stints not included in there.

21 hours ago, BradInATX said:

That probably means their stock will triple in value from IPO price.

A few of my customers have independently made big snowflake purchases, they all really like how it's a turnkey "datalake" solution.

You're exactly right that none of it is especially novel, but they sure are selling a shitload of it