Markets still falling like whoa

54 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You weren’t alone I’m sure. One thing Corona taught me for sure is that if that didn’t permanently damage the stock market, I don’t think anything will, at least in nominal terms. The powers that be will do anything to keep the music playing. 

This.

There is no gravity when it comes to stocks anymore. 

Stocks will only go up until the whole world comes to an end.

Let’s keep getting high on our own supply and hope we all retire before said end.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I bought December S&P 500 puts at...(checks notes)...1900 back in March. Gonna be a potted meat and jello Christmas for Parliament and his starving children.

This year has taught me that well. Acting like a bull will get you spanked.

Even if you’re notionally “correct”, only once in a decade will you get the perfect alignment of fundamentals + market sentiments to support your position.  Then you’ll look like some Michael Burry John Paulson hero.

The rest of the time, it’ll inflate and margin call your ass. 

If you’re bearish, just sit out. Or hold your equities and sell calls against it. 

I've got about $10,000 of settled cash in my fidelity account. Any thoughts on best investment for a buy and hold strategy? I don't like to make small moves, usually just buy a big chunk of a mutual fund or one or two stocks each quarter, and then don't look at my account but once or twice a month. 

49 minutes ago, hornian said:

I've got about $10,000 of settled cash in my fidelity account. Any thoughts on best investment for a buy and hold strategy? I don't like to make small moves, usually just buy a big chunk of a mutual fund or one or two stocks each quarter, and then don't look at my account but once or twice a month. 

PSLDX has been a banger for me.  the best buy and hold , non-meme , reliable brrr machine.  the track record is unbeatable

51 minutes ago, hornian said:

GBTC or MSTR for the next year. 

18 hours ago, GRHorn said:

MARA and RIOT continue to print money. 

58365113-D7-C2-4537-BE84-35-D5-A978-CDAB

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Do you use their Active Trader Pro?  It use to work on my Mac, even after the update to Big Sur.  It suddenly will no longer load on Mac and their "customer support, ha ha" can't help.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:22 AM, 52-80 said:

PSLDX has been a banger for me.  the best buy and hold , non-meme , reliable brrr machine.  the track record is unbeatable

Fidelity website claims this has a $1,000,000.00 minimum to place and order.  

That was the best humblebrag I believe I have seen yet. 

12 hours ago, hornian said:

Varies from account to account and brokerage to brokerage

$1000 in Schwab IRA

$2500 in Schwab normal....used to be 50k not too long ago

$5000 i think in my 401K SDA's Custodian

also, if youre looking into PSLDX, dont look at the charts on most finance websites because it doesnt take into account dividends.  (caveat is you should invest using tax-advantage accounts or the regular dividends will create tax drag)

look here - beats S&P for virtually any duration of time, for any period

https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investments/mutual-funds/stocksplus-long-duration-fund/inst

Edited by 52-80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Lol, big red in the premarket 

Hold on to your anooses

I have a chunk of SPY 358 puts that I picked up right at market close Friday for $.09 that would pay off nicely if we get down in that neighborhood.  premarket briefly cracked 360 but its already back over 363 and will probably be green by open. 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I have a chunk of SPY 358 puts that I picked up right at market close Friday for $.09 that would pay off nicely if we get down in that neighborhood.  premarket briefly cracked 360 but its already back over 363 and will probably be green by open. 

fucking had to dump them at the open for .25. All I needed was that sub-360 level to hold to market open, but no dice. 

On 12/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, 52-80 said:

Varies from account to account and brokerage to brokerage

$1000 in Schwab IRA

$2500 in Schwab normal....used to be 50k not too long ago

$5000 i think in my 401K SDA's Custodian

My wife has a small IRA (under $10K total) with ETtrade, and there's no minimum there. I may sell about half her other holdings and buy in for her, since she essentially told me "you handle retirement."

My wife has a small IRA (under $10K total) with ETtrade, and there's no minimum there. I may sell about half her other holdings and buy in for her, since she essentially told me "you handle retirement."

So the high risk with PSLDX is that when/if they raise interest rates then it gets hammered?
Actively managed so the fees are higher but dividends are also high?
I am thinking about opening a Roth IRA under Schwab and going in on PSLDX.

Anyone ever trade on volatility to hedge stock positions. A family financial advisor indicated they are recommending that instead of bonds because of the low yields of bonds.

I’d like to do that but don’t really know how to construct positions, or even the right financial instrument.

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Anyone ever trade on volatility to hedge stock positions. A family financial advisor indicated they are recommending that instead of bonds because of the low yields of bonds.

I’d like to do that but don’t really know how to construct positions, or even the right financial instrument.

yields dont matter per se.  when cb drops rates, value of existing bonds go up.

or, when shit hits the fan, volatility goes up.  you can buy volatility derivatives like VXX.  or buy call options on them.  VIX spikes, your call option is profitable.  VIX stays flat... you lose value from the time decay

Ryan Cohen increased his stake in GME from 9.8% to 12.9%, confirming his intention that he is in it for the long haul and possibly looking for a hostile takeover or some other activist investor activity. It's been a wild ride since I bought in at $4.95, but I intend on holding until either a short squeeze happens or Cohen's game runs its course.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, hornian said:

That fund is not very tax efficient.  Turnover is close to 200% so you may not want it in a taxable account 

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

This is the most awkward gif ever.  Wow

Ballmer probably goes down as one of the luckiest mofos ever. He was CEO from Jan 13, 2000 (price $48.51) to Feb 4, 2014 (price was 36.35). Note the stock behavior at all times that buffoon was not the CEO. Hard to imagine how rich Gates would be if he didn't fuck up and appoint Ballmer as CEO when he stepped down. 

image.png.8e28ba9f9fa273fd2d06d944a91f4c46.png

On 12/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, 52-80 said:

On 12/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, hornian said:

On 12/19/2020 at 7:33 AM, nycHorn said:

Same $1,000,000 on TD. It’s $2500 on Schwab.

Posting so I can find this again - Schwab is 1,000 min on IRA, but there are fees to buy - so I'm going to put some of my IRA funds into this when I rebalance in the next couple of weeks

4 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

That fund is not very tax efficient.  Turnover is close to 200% so you may not want it in a taxable account 

Bought some with my wife’s Roth IRA with ETrade ($0 minimum), and set the dividends to reinvest in the fund. Think I’ll be good. 

4 minutes ago, hornian said:

Bought some with my wife’s Roth IRA with ETrade ($0 minimum), and set the dividends to reinvest in the fund. Think I’ll be good. 

Keep in mind the bond duration for that fund is about 16 years. So if rates increase 1% then the bonds will decrease by approximately 16%. Something to keep an eye out for. 

2 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Keep in mind the bond duration for that fund is about 16 years. So if rates increase 1% then the bonds will decrease by approximately 16%. Something to keep an eye out for. 

Explain like I'm 5. Our planning is pretty much to just buy and hold. Is there some benchmark where I should stop holding?

24 minutes ago, hornian said:

Explain like I'm 5. Our planning is pretty much to just buy and hold. Is there some benchmark where I should stop holding?

Bonds typically go down in value or price as interest rates increase. Rule of thumb says they’ll drop in value by the duration of the bond for every 1% increase in interest rates.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/duration.asp

Although the fund you bought is a bit more complex as they use leverage and they rebalance between stocks and bonds frequently which is most likely the reason for high turnover. Given that, not sure if the interest rate sensitivity will be as straight forward as a typical bond holding fund as I mentioned previously.

If you’re interested, here’s a long thread discussing the fund 

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=305950

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When the duration is that long, a small increase in interest rates of 1% will cause a $16 decline in every dollar you invested. Long term interest rates should edge up by some amount in the next five years, but it’s not clear how much or how fast. So while you earn a few percent every year on the fund, it could get wiped out by the interest rate rise. Watch the economy and interest rates closely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My position in Alibaba got rekt today.

Lessened the pain a bit playing against the volatility near the market close (selling inflated near the money puts), but main holdings still impacted. 

Should’ve known better....I posted a few weeks about Jack Ma getting his wrist slapped by the CCCP. Now they want to smack him on the back of the head, or worse. 

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Posting so I can find this again - Schwab is 1,000 min on IRA, but there are fees to buy - so I'm going to put some of my IRA funds into this when I rebalance in the next couple of weeks

6 hours ago, hornian said:

FNCMX    VINIX    FXAIX   FNCMX

Solid long-term for me.  GLTA

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

My position in Alibaba got rekt today.

Lessened the pain a bit playing against the volatility near the market close (selling inflated near the money puts), but main holdings still impacted. 

Should’ve known better....I posted a few weeks about Jack Ma getting his wrist slapped by the CCCP. Now they want to smack him on the back of the head, or worse. 

Buy the dip.