Markets still falling like whoa

ok. Plan moving forward is to set price sell limits and liquidate to 150-155k. Assume 25-30k for capital gains. Pay off all debts (100k), stash 20k in HYS , blow 5k on stupid shit, use future 4k monthly savings to max out 401k and IRA and then reinvest in balanced portfolio and then strippers and blow 

End result = Profit???

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

ok. Plan moving forward is to set price sell limits and liquidate to 150-155k. Assume 25-30k for capital gains. Pay off all debts (100k), stash 20k in HYS , blow 5k on stupid shit, use future 4k monthly savings to max out 401k and IRA and then reinvest in balanced portfolio and then strippers and blow 

End result = Profit???

Sounds like a good plan. I believe a better plan for your future is to invest your remaining 20k in a higher risk/better producing fund. No need to be conservative at your stage, especially since you already have retirement accounts. 

* Taking your username into consideration makes me think you should live like there’s no tomorrow. Put it all on black while draped with hookers and pockets full of blow.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Sounds like a good plan. I believe a better plan for your future is to invest your remaining 20k in a higher risk/better producing fund. No need to be conservative at your stage, especially since you already have retirement accounts. 

How much risk and what fund do you suggest should a 52 year old go with? Back in the stock market ? I got balls , they just hang lower now so they tend to be a little more sensitive and leery. Fuckers that do my IRA only give me a 4% return. 

I have about 4k in the Yotta shit , but their returns give me a headache figuring APR

Edited by nineliveslost

Just now, nineliveslost said:

How much risk and what fund do you suggest should a 52 year old go with? Back in the stock market ? I got balls , they just hang lower now so they tend to be a little more sensitive and leery. Fuckers that do my IRA only give me a 4% return. 

You’re asking the wrong guy. I don’t think I’ll ever be very conservative, but if you’re not relying on the money, why be conservative?

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

You’re asking the wrong guy. I don’t think I’ll ever be very conservative, but if you’re not relying on the money, why be conservative?

Man you make sense. I only got in this situation from luck and being fortunate at the right time. Didnt plan on any of it. 

I think I will still put the 20k in the savings account with the other money and keep the 6-9 months salary rule going. Be a little more aggressive with the 4k a month savings and see what road that brings me 

Thanks for the info and insight 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have about 4k in the Yotta shit , but their returns give me a headache figuring APR

Are you asking about retirement account (IRA or 401k funds) or regular investments?

I’m 54, in a profession (law) where we work until we die, and have a brokerage retirement account through our firm. Balls to the wall aggressive. But it being in a 401k, I can sell high and buy dips without any short term tax consequences. So that’s a big factor in answering your questions

EDIT - Note to self...read up-thread before responding
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Are you asking about retirement account (IRA or 401k funds) or regular investments?

I’m 54, in a profession (law) where we work until we die, and have a brokerage retirement account through our firm. Balls to the wall aggressive. But it being in a 401k, I can sell high and buy dips without any short term tax consequences. So that’s a big factor in answering your questions

401k and old man catch up will be yearly maxed and moderately aggressive. IRA is not maxed but will be soon and is moderately aggressive.  

Currently have 1.2 m and expect it to double every 5 years . Expect minimum 2.5m at 60 and then checking the fuck out. yes yes I am not the Surly kajillionaires 

I was talking about regular investments. Should a dip my low hanging large shriveled balls into the stock market again after gettign out with a nice gain or say fuck it and chill. 

Yes I have been drinking...hmmmm yes, I am almost drunk 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

48 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

401k and old man catch up will be yearly maxed and moderately aggressive. IRA is not maxed but will be soon and is moderately aggressive.  

Currently have 1.2 m and expect it to double every 5 years . Expect minimum 2.5m at 60 and then checking the fuck out. yes yes I am not the Surly kajillionaires 

I was talking about regular investments. Should a dip my low hanging large shriveled balls into the stock market again after gettign out with a nice gain or say fuck it and chill. 

Yes I have been drinking...hmmmm yes, I am almost drunk 

If you have pretty good job security with that extra 4k coming in, you have a lot of room to be riskier, but everyone's risk tolerance varies. I despise the idea of getting 1-2%, which is essentially losing money because of average inflation. So if I'm you and don't want to spend more time on individual stocks, I'd put the 20k in an S&P or NASDAQ index, or a small business index if I'm feeling riskier. If you're wanting to diversify your risk, you could put it in something like gold or bitcoin, or maybe even a down payment on a rental property that you expect will increase in value and whose rent will more than cover the mortgage. Just some brainstorming.blockquote widget

Edited by KYHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:

S

If you have pretty good job security with that extra 4k coming in, you have a lot of room to be riskier, but everyone's risk tolerance varies. I despise the idea of getting 1-2%, which is essentially losing money because of average inflation. So if I'm you and don't want to spend more time on individual stocks, I'd put the 20k in an S&P or NASDAQ index, or a small business index if I'm feeling riskier. If you're wanting to diversify your risk, you could put it in something like gold or bitcoin, or maybe even a down payment on a rental property that you expect will increase in value and whose rent will more than cover the mortgage. Just some brainstorming.

See the source image

That's what i am talking about . Good advice man

So I own property but I am no slum lord and hate dealing wth it 

I have gold , but not Texas University vault full. 

I like S&P or NASDAQ index. Sounds like I will drop shit in there after the 6 to 9 months security savings 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, BLKNSTY said:

MSOS, MSOS, MSOS. The future of US weed is Cresco, Trulieve, Green Thumb, and Curaleaf. They will be the Walmart, Target, Costco, and Kroger of weed in the US. And those are MSOS’s top 4 holdings.
I could see diversifying but I honestly wouldn’t touch those Canadian Producers.

Lots of talk about federal legislation.  Fingers crossed.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/03/schumer-senate-marijuana-legalization-478963

Just opened a Roth in addition to my traditional brokerage account.  Apparently I can transfer individual stocks from my traditional brokerage account into the Roth as a contribution?  This will help me avoid capital gains tax.  I thought I would be limited to contributing only cash to the Roth, then investing with that cash.  In other words, I  was planning on selling stocks in my brokerage account and use that cash to contribute to the Roth.  That seems dumb now.  Am I missing something?

40 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Just opened a Roth in addition to my traditional brokerage account.  Apparently I can transfer individual stocks from my traditional brokerage account into the Roth as a contribution?  This will help me avoid capital gains tax.  I thought I would be limited to contributing only cash to the Roth, then investing with that cash.  In other words, I  was planning on selling stocks in my brokerage account and use that cash to contribute to the Roth.  That seems dumb now.  Am I missing something?

Nvm.  I can't do that.  Need to convert securities to cash before I can contribute to Roth.

40 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

When is the big correction?  I have read so many articles that warn of the big correction, and now am playing the waiting game.  One alternative theory I read was that the stimulus would put off a correction until closer to the fall.  

Timing the market is kind of a fools game. Keep pounding your money in over time and dollar cost average the highs and lows. Keep a little cash on hand in case it really takes a shit, you can scoop good shit on sale. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

When is the big correction?  I have read so many articles that warn of the big correction, and now am playing the waiting game.  One alternative theory I read was that the stimulus would put off a correction until closer to the fall.  

Bears have predicted 200 of the last 3 corrections. 

“Smart” people call the tops all the time. But they’d rather that reality conform to their (well-constructed) narrative, rather than the other way around. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

People who predict bad news in the Market are consistent. If you say it enough times, you'll get it right eventually. FWIW, they are usually selling something (Gold).

They are just like economists who correctly predict 27 of the last 3 recessions/corrections

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, and they are getting more & more competition while producing more and more crap.

yeah its not really a great business from a cash flow basis. They did better last year because they shut down a lot of production. Its basically a never ending cycle of borrowing money to create content, to drive subscriptions which requires more content etc....this  article is a bit out of date, but the concept is largely still in play I believe. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/05/01/netflix-one-question-is-it-losing-money-or-making-money/?sh=4bb9e1d329a6

12 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

So WTF just happened?

Either another algorithm driven flash crash OR another hedgie got caught in a margin call crash

never mind which, stocks only go up & there'll be a new record close next week 

Or Joe said something the market didn't really like 

No matter FOMO and TINA still in the driver's seat

Edited by Wally Fairway

12 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Either another algorithm driven flash crash OR another hedgie got caught in a margin call crash

never mind which, stocks only go up & there'll be a new record close next week

U.S stocks fell to session lows in a swift fashion on Thursday after a report that President Joe Biden is slated to propose capital gains taxes for the rich.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

The market reaction is rather tame for a proposed 43.4% tax rate.*

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-eyeing-capital-gains-tax-171528499.html

* for those already making more than $1,000,000 a year.

For $1 million earners in high-tax states, rates on capital gains could be above 50%. For New Yorkers, the combined state and federal capital gains rate could be as high as 52.22%. For Californians, it could be 56.7%.  

. . . 

President Joe Biden will propose almost doubling the capital gains tax rate for wealthy individuals to 39.6% to help pay for a raft of social spending that addresses long-standing inequality, according to people familiar with the proposal.

For those earning $1 million or more, the new top rate, coupled with an existing surtax on investment income, means that federal tax rates for wealthy investors could be as high as 43.4%. The new marginal 39.6% rate would be an increase from the current base rate of 20%, the people said on the condition of anonymity because the plan is not yet public.

Edited by washparkhorn