Markets still falling like whoa

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Good job on my part selling for $2.25  this AM, they are now hanging around $7.00, lulz. Had  a morning full of meetings and figured the usual afternoon rebound would be in effect. Guess not. 

image.png

Yeah, the UVXY $27c for this friday expiry that I was looking at last thursday and decided not to pull the trigger on have gone from $.40 to $5.00.   I'm not a happy man right now.  

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah that kinda sucks, ain't nowhere to go, ain't nowhere to hide

call me crazy, but this is just a 1-day shock. 

did the traditional equity counterbalance go up today?  gold - barely.  treasuries? barely.  investment-grade corporate bonds?  barely.  TIPS?  nope.  fucking crypto?  those dumped. 

essentially the entire market is going down together.  theres not been a discretionary 'rotation' of investment moving from one sector to another.  probably started with the asian session  selling off spx to cover the chinese real estate fuck up.  that sparked "technical" selling all across the board - tripping stop limit triggers, etc.

if its a macro-move.  its prob just a glitch in the matrix.  everyone will wake up tomorrow and pour money right back in.

(this is what i tell myself, curled up in the fetus position in a dark corner in the bathroom)

• Hook 'Em 1

Reminds me of the old days with the Plunge Protection Team (PPT) kicking in at the close.

- Bloomberg had been featuring guests predicting a 10% correction last week. 

- Reuters reporting a dip-buying opportunity, fwiw.

Spoiler

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks are experiencing the biggest wave of volatility in months but options traders are showing little appetite for more protection, a sign that at least some of them believe the current selloff will be short-lived.

Options market analysts said there were few indications that investors were putting on trades to shield their portfolios from further market drops, at least for now, however.

“The selloff appears to me orderly, somewhat expected and not panicky,” said Susquehanna International Group’s Chris Murphy.

“The VIX and the term structure and skew... Those were all pricing-in a degree of panic,” said Murphy, referring to various gauges of investor expectations for volatility.

The VIX has lingered around the 20 level in recent days, pointing to elevated expectations for near-term stock market gyrations, even as stocks remained close to record highs. September has historically been a tough month for stocks, and the S&P has gone more than 300 calendar days without a selloff of 5% or more.

“It’s going to probably take a little bit more than one day for everyone to start piling into hedges,” Murphy said.

Instead, many investors appeared to be focused on reaping gains on existing hedges that would have profited from a fall in stocks, analysts said.

“Remember that the market was extremely well-hedged coming into this move down,” Amy Wu Silverman, equity derivatives strategist at RBC Capital Markets, said in a note.

“We are seeing hedges monetized and investors actually purchase upside via call spreads in S&P,” she said.

Buying upside call spreads is a relatively inexpensive options strategy that allows investors to benefit from a rebound in stock prices.

Stock market sell-offs over the last few years have been fleeting. That raises the urgency of monetizing - or taking profits from - existing hedges before a rapid rebound in prices can erase the gains, analysts said.

“The market sell-off that escalated overnight we believe is primarily driven by technical selling flows in an environment of poor liquidity, and overreaction of discretionary traders to perceived risks,” analysts at JP Morgan said in a note.

They said they viewed the selling as a buying opportunity.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-stocks-volatility/as-stocks-fall-options-traders-show-no-rush-to-guard-against-deeper-pullback-idUSL1N2QM1L2

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Guess I bought TSM at the wrong time.

My parents have $100K sitting on the sidelines (I'm managing for my parents), should I jump in or keep their powder dry?

buy tomorrow morning and get a free 10% for doing nothing in a few weeks/months. Easy to say when not my money, but historically that's what is happening with this sell-offs. Check out last year around this time, same thing.

Seems like  perfect time for the clowns in Congress to get into a political dick measuring contest over the debt ceiling. they all spend money on the shit they want, bitch about spending money on the shit that others want, and then point fingers at each other when we run out of money.....every year. Worthless cocksuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

i am thinking the time is nigh my homies. the chinese are surly smart enough to know they will have to eat the property bullet at some point. Now in this corona soup may just be the best time you know. 

alternatively some communist party dude was banging the help at Evergrande - shit went sideways (or so I hear) - and now pussy will destroy us all like it always does. yeah thats probably it and now the world will burn.

that'll be $9.95

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Blotto said:

Seems like  perfect time for the clowns in Congress to get into a political dick measuring contest over the debt ceiling. they all spend money on the shit they want, bitch about spending money on the shit that others want, and then point fingers at each other when we run out of money.....every year. Worthless cocksuckers. 

That 10 billion dollars required for studying the impact of dropping a tomato from an airplane to determine the impact on global warming ain't gonna pay for itself. 

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Indexes headed for red now.  I bought 50 of the weekly UVXY $30 strikes at the open.  Up about 45% on them right now.   I think this week has a chance to be really ugly.  

34 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I think WSB calls this Kangaroo Market...

It is a day traders dream/nightmare - now I can lose money timing the market for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s no secret that the Chinese were borrowing money to build cities no one wanted in order to show high GDP growth.

$80 billion is a staggering number, and that’s just for Evergrand. How many other developers are also shitting their pants?

Hope the ripple effect will not be similar to 2008, but I’m not optimistic. Time to hold onto your ass. 

6 minutes ago, Superhero said:

It’s no secret that the Chinese were borrowing money to build cities no one wanted in order to show high GDP growth.

$80 billion is a staggering number, and that’s just for Evergrand. How many other developers are also shitting their pants?

Hope the ripple effect will not be similar to 2008, but I’m not optimistic. Time to hold onto your ass. 

I’m quite certain the tally of this ordeal is going to approach the levels of debt that we saw in ‘06-09, if that contagion makes its way through the entire system, and you combine nearly $2tn of student loan debt on top of it, then add Covid as a cherry on top, it could get fucking ugly.   

• Hook 'Em 1

My advice for tomorrow is to buy puts if the market opens up, and calls if it opens down. Spend a little cash and by barely ITM 2 day out (Friday) expiry and then look to sell them by 10:30 when the reversal happens. Rinse, wash, repeat daily until the market arrhythmia is cured.
$9.95 please 

Edited by Wally Fairway

15 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I’m assume there’s a market timing play around the pending debt ceiling drama? Anyone aware of the history of how this has hit

We do not expect significant disruptions to the financial markets but would not be surprised for stocks could be more volatile as the deadline approaches, as was the case with the days ahead of the 2011 and 2013 “feared dates.”  Ultimately, I believe another incremental step by our nation’s politicians to stave off a fiscal crisis should prod markets higher.  As Winston Churchill is said to have said, “Americans always do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options.”

https://www.invesco.com/us/en/insights/debt-ceiling-drama-what-could-it-mean-for-stocks.html

• Like 1

Didn’t check previous pages if posted, cause I only like to visit when I make money.

Some guy has taken the financial transaction disclosures that politicians have to make every 45 days and created two websites. If Reps and Senators can trade on inside knowledge, we should be able to mimic. Could be fun to make a new account and watch your progress.

https://senatestockwatcher.com

https://housestockwatcher.com

Nancy Pelosi’s husband runs a hedge fund
https://housestockwatcher.com/summary_by_rep/Hon. Nancy Pelosi

Would think southern reps with military bases could give tipoffs on defense contracts. Lot of scenarios. I’m sure Michael McCaul would be a good follow. Haven’t found Mittens yet. I think best way to view is whose been active recently rather than overall amount of trades

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Despite decent sales growth, NKE is down 4% after hours due to comments from their ceo about the effects of widespread Covid shutdowns in Vietnam.

Previously, I had shared that we for transit times to remain elevated for the balance of fiscal ‘22. Unfortunately, the situation deteriorated even further in the first quarter, with North America and EMEA seeing increases in transit times due primarily to port and rail congestion and labor shortages. Additionally, several of our factory partners in Vietnam and Indonesia were required to abruptly cease operations in the first quarter. As of today, Indonesia is now fully operational. But in Vietnam, nearly all footwear factories remain closed by government mandate.

Our experience with COVID-related factory closures suggest that reopening and ramping back to full production scale will take time. Therefore, we’re revising our short-term financial outlook to incorporate the following factors: 10 weeks of production already lost in Vietnam since mid-July; factory reopening to occur in phases beginning in October with a ramp to full production over several months; and elevated transit times, consistent with where we are now operating today.

We now expect fiscal ‘22 revenue to grow mid-single digits versus the prior year versus our prior guidance of low double-digit growth, due solely to the supply chain impacts that I just described. Specifically for Q2, we expect revenue growth to be flat to down low single digits versus the prior year as factory closures have impacted production and delivery times for the holiday and spring seasons. Lost weeks of production, combined with longer transit times, will lead to short-term inventory shortages in the marketplace for the next few quarters.

apparently the vax rate is still  single digits over there. may be worth paying attn to.  this link provides a list of other companies with significant manufacturing exsposure in vietnam

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/16/coronavirus-restrictions-retailers-reconsider-vietnam-manufacturing.html

On 9/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, Superhero said:

Guess I bought TSM at the wrong time.

My parents have $100K sitting on the sidelines (I'm managing for my parents), should I jump in or keep their powder dry?

Well did you listen to me? If you went all in on the Monday sell-off and sold at opening bell tomorrow, you'd have made how much?

On 9/24/2021 at 9:23 AM, Wally Fairway said:

but what if the dip isn't over?
maybe I'm waiting for a double dip; but not a triple dip .... that would not be good planning; unless you think there is a triple dip coming, is that what you think?

So is today the double dip (and thus buying calls) or is it the prelude to the 2nd/3rd dip, pending debt ceiling showdown & boisterous politico talks (and therefore buying puts)

the correct answer is 

Spoiler

why not both?

42 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

long SPX futures since 4433

you other fuckers help out plz

I've held SPY calls with 10/21, 1/22, 6/22 and 1/23 expiry, but sold most of them off over the course of the last couple of weeks.

Now only holding some of the 1/22's, my guess is that we are into either a short ran correction or best case lots of day-to-day swings. Therefore this is a clear sign for everyone on surly to go long.

56 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've held SPY calls with 10/21, 1/22, 6/22 and 1/23 expiry, but sold most of them off over the course of the last couple of weeks.

Now only holding some of the 1/22's, my guess is that we are into either a short ran correction or best case lots of day-to-day swings. Therefore this is a clear sign for everyone on surly to go long.

How long?

On 9/23/2021 at 8:28 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

Well did you listen to me? If you went all in on the Monday sell-off and sold at opening bell tomorrow, you'd have made how much?

Nope

On 9/24/2021 at 4:40 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Did you assholes buy the fucking dip or what?

Nope

Something about falling blade yada yada yada.

99% of you on this thread are more savvy than me when it comes to trading. But I've made the mistake (many times) of buying after broad market dips only for it to drop further. I can see doing that for individual stocks if they got hammered for missing earnings by $0.01, but probably gonna sit on the sidelines until October when we find out if the debt ceiling's gonna be raised.  If they just keep playing politics, then hold on to your asses.

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Nope

Nope

Something about falling blade yada yada yada.

99% of you on this thread are more savvy than me when it comes to trading. But I've made the mistake (many times) of buying after broad market dips only for it to drop further. I can see doing that for individual stocks if they got hammered for missing earnings by $0.01, but probably gonna sit on the sidelines until October when we find out if the debt ceiling's gonna be raised.  If they just keep playing politics, then hold on to your asses.

As a small, individual investor my only advantage is time.  I don’t put in any money that I need access to in the next few years.  If the market keeps going lower, which it usually does, I either buy a bit more or just wait it out.  That’s why I prefer dividend paying stocks as they pay you to wait.

• Hook 'Em 1