Markets still falling like whoa

For some divine unknown reason I changed my limit buy from SPY 405.00 to 405.80 (52 week low) back on Monday so I just caught this rally and rode it up the last 36 hours. Put in a stop loss at 424 yesterday and it hit during my morning meeting. Crazy market. I'll keep playing these swings I guess and if I screw up and it keeps falling at least I'm invested. Next buy is 400. Then 385. I'm fine with 2-3 percent gains in this choppy market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Um, to whom can I direct my strongly worded letter?  My portfolio is disappearing faster than a twinkie at a Weight Watchers convention.  

Oh, and it has been quite enjoyable watching my son's 529 evaporate right when I need to start dipping into it.

• Rage+1 2

The rally yesterday was a head scratcher to me. the Fed did what they told everyone they were going to do, but every single headwind to the economy/market remains in place. While illogical, I didnt expect the market to give it all back in 3 hours this morning, lulz.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Um, to whom can I direct my strongly worded letter?  My portfolio is disappearing faster than a twinkie at a Weight Watchers convention.  

Oh, and it has been quite enjoyable watching my son's 529 evaporate right when I need to start dipping into it.

You basically have to treat a 529 like a retiree portfolio once they are within 1-2 years of college.   May as well not use it at all now until his Jr/Sr year.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You basically have to treat a 529 like a retiree portfolio once they are within 1-2 years of college.   May as well not use it at all now until his Jr/Sr year.  

I was thinking that.  Since he's going to a pricey school that his 529 won't cover, I'm thinking we pay cash for the first year or 2 and hope it recovers for yrs 3  and 4.

Of course, to do that, I need to liquidate some of my stonks.  So I guess 6 of one, as it were.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I was thinking that.  Since he's going to a pricey school that his 529 won't cover, I'm thinking we pay cash for the first year or 2 and hope it recovers for yrs 3  and 4.

Of course, to do that, I need to liquidate some of my stonks.  So I guess 6 of one, as it were.

Maybe you should sit him down and talk to him about a "gap" year.
Also, pricy school - congrats on him getting into SC

Edited by Wally Fairway
I kant spel

22 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Maybe you should sit him down and talk to him about a "gap" year.
Also, pricy school - congrats on him getting into SC

SC over my dead body.  No, Northeastern, with his first year in London, which ups the cost a few $10k's.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

Hopefully it’s a sign of a bottom. All in in June $450 calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you really need is for me to put together a put ladder that goes out the next 3-6 months. That would certainly lead to a bottom and market correction.
FWIW - I'm not there quite yet

• Hook 'Em 1