Markets still falling like whoa

11 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i bought some in march.   i did a double take when i looked at the number.  it was red -52% or something when i looked.  i had to stare at it for a while to understand what that meant.

-52%…. You should hold a webinar for us surly investors. 

• Haha 1

I suck as an investor, but I got lucky. As part of a buy-a-new-house-before-selling-old-house real estate transaction, I pulled a lot of money out of the market last August.  It was January by the time the dust settled and I had the money back in my trading account. By then, things were starting to slide so I stayed out.   

I've been out of the market for almost nine months and sitting on the sideline waiting to hop back in for four and a half months and it's making me nervous, but I have no F-ing idea where to invest right now.  The investing websites are all over the map from Gold to REITs to just put it in the S&P 500 and wait a long time.  Sigh. First world problem.

"The crash has laid bare many unpleasant truths about the United States.  One of the most alarming, says a former chief economist of the International Monetary Fund, is that the finance industry has effectively captured our government.  

This is the contempt in which they hold the majority of American people and the political process: the common people are easily led fools, and everyone else who is smart enough to know better has their price. And they would beggar every middle class voter in the US before they will voluntarily give up one dime of their ill gotten gains."

Simon Johnson, The Quiet Coup, 2009.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

here is my legitimate webinar:  why don't i just buy indices from here on out.  if i'm a terminable dumbass -- which I would stipulate to -- why even try with individual stocks?

beta, which is all you get with index investing, is driven by the largest companies.  For example, in the S&P 500, the top 5 names make up 21.74% of the weighting whereas the bottom 495 make up 79%.  Those top 5 (apple, msft, amzn, google, and tesla) are all dependent on a functioning global economy and globalization and it's changing.  Outperforming indexes should be possible now whereas since 2008 it has been damn near unachievable.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

beta, which is all you get with index investing, is driven by the largest companies.  For example, in the S&P 500, the top 5 names make up 21.74% of the weighting whereas the bottom 495 make up 79%.  Those top 5 (apple, msft, amzn, google, and tesla) are all dependent on a functioning global economy and globalization and it's changing.  Outperforming indexes should be possible now whereas since 2008 it has been damn near unachievable.  

The big-boy index (SPX) keeps good companies in and boots out shit company (mostly). By design, they are effectively a very emotionless, diverse, and stable fund…and you can have them for near-0 fees. 

Which is why they kick all the active managers’ ass. 

But some of us still like to pick individual stocks, because we like to kick ourselves in our own asses. 

6 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Outperforming indexes should be possible now whereas since 2008 it has been damn near unachievable.

51 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Sounds like something an investment banker or financial manager would say.

I used to be a stockbroker way back when and pretty much ran my clients portfolio. Then it went to recommending managers. Now it it a broker who places money with managers who, in turn, invest in other managed funds. Each entity taking a fee along the way. I don’t see how you beat the indexes with that overhead. 

15 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Sure, we here are losing hundreds of dollars of investment wealth, but we're still Surly 1%. 

I am not the 1% but i would love to just be losing 100s of dollars. The market has been ass raping me for the last 9 months with a 20% drop in my portfolio. 100s of thousands FML

Was pretty heavy energy the last couple mos “oil gas prices this high, Russia f up, and continued strangle on supply issues globally, that should be a safe haven to the carnage. And share prices aren’t way above pre covid high either”

fml

You know things are shit when you have a "good day" with the Dow "only" losing < 200 pts.

And like ninelives, shit, I would kill my grandmother for only a few hundreds $ lost the last 4 months.  This is relevant and you oldies will understand it:

image.png.711b4c3abcc9961dc403c8f0b52cc57c.png

Edited by phdhorn

if you bought Big Tobacco even before the Covid Crash, you would have never seen a drawdown (practically), you would have collected a fat dividend, and by now the price have even appreciated.

now who's got a time machine?