Markets still falling like whoa

10 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

fair warning - I have no principles

2nd fair warning - I am heading to Chicago for the weekend, last time I did this was end of Feb 2020 & the market went into crash mode. If this happens again in the next week it confirms causation 📉

Price me wrong 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

So who thinks Reddit is the new FAANG?

I made some money on it today. Thinking I might add some weight tomorrow.

I don't think it at all, and it's the website I spend the most time on outside of here.

For one, it's only $7B market cap. But more importantly, it just isn't mainstream enough. 

I don't think it at all, and it's the website I spend the most time on outside of here.

For one, it's only $7B market cap. But more importantly, it just isn't mainstream enough. 

I think it will take off, especially as more people use it beyond the youngs. I spend more time there than here, and it's becoming a "google" for answers.

5 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think it will take off, especially as more people use it beyond the youngs. I spend more time there than here, and it's becoming a "google" for answers.

It's had two decades. I think it will continue to grow, but not Facebook-style hockey stick growth. It is so eccentric that I think it runs off "normals"  

And it's becoming Google for answers because Google updated their algorithms to heavily promote it. There's a $60 million deal for Google to use Reddit for training its AI, but the traffic that Google has pushed to them with that algo change is worth much, much more.

image.png.7b12eb48a93e2914378122b2dc256d84.png 

One algo change and the value of the company will absolutely plummet.

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

They also have been taking tens of millions in losses despite significant revenue growth (according to their filings)

image.thumb.png.d823b0a93ca562be8d0181470416504f.png

Their operating loss is greater than what it cost them to get that business in the first place for goodness sakes lol

On 3/22/2024 at 8:02 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

The fact that anyone would mod that place for free is wild to me. Especially after the CEO took home something like $200 million.

You want me to spend my time and energy moderating your content? Pay me.

Consider the psychology of people whose time have such little value

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Mr. 16,000 posts is saying that to Mr. 5,000 posts on this website that's entirely a waste of time?

Im posting for my own enjoyment. Im not babysitting you for the communitys (perceived) benefit. 

thats the difference between leisure and labor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So if one were to launch a stock sale for say, $3bn?  And then then next day, for example, sell 1/3rd of that stock...would that affect the rest the outstanding share pricing?  Just asking for a friend.  

Guess your friend doesn’t have to worry anymore since that person doesn’t have to sell anymore …

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Are the NYSE and NASDAQ different exchanges or am I just going senile?

Not sure the exact technical answer to the first question; for the second if you have to ask it is probably true.
The NYSE and NASDAQ are separate entities - some history on the NYSE https://www.nyse.com/history-of-nyse#:~:text=In 2008%2C the NYSE acquired,listing on NYSE in 2005.

In the early 2000s, changes occurred across the NYSE. On November 16, 2005, Intercontinental Exchange (NYSE: ICE) listed on the NYSE. In 2006, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Archipelago (Arca), and the Pacific Exchange (PCX) merged to form the publicly traded NYSE Group, ending membership ownership of the Exchange. In 2008, the NYSE acquired the American Stock Exchange, becoming the third largest U.S. options market. By 2013, ICE acquired the NYSE and remains the parent organization of the Exchange today.

NASDAQ is also a separate publicly traded exchange - https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/career-map/sell-side/capital-markets/nasdaq/

The NASDAQ is a U.S.-based stock market exchange and the second-largest stock exchange by market cap globally. NASDAQ stands for National Association of Security Dealers Automated Quotations and is owned and operated by NASDAQ Inc.

Both ICE and NASDAQ, Inc. are publicly traded, and the largest investors are institutions like Black Rock, Vanguard, State Street, TRowe Price, Lazard,  etc - so it seems like it is a circle within a circle, or maybe just a big money manager circle jerk. 

1 hour ago, Dish Boggett said:

Anyone get in on the Truth Social action today?  

THIS IS NOT THE STONK THREAD

Also, is there an index fund of marine salvage corporations in the mid Atlantic coast?

NO ETF/Mutual fund - but here is a list https://swingtradebot.com/stocks-tagged-as/12125-salvage

replies above

Edited by Wally Fairway