Markets still falling like whoa

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What does your breakdown in your 401k look like right now? 

I am heavy on large caps and thinking that I need to rebalance, but I ended up with this balance thinking that large caps were a better place to capture the spring back and minimize the risks to the downside. Anyways, curious what your balance looks like and where to be moving forward.

55% cash

39% large (SP index, JPM growth, Schwab value) 

6% small (russell index, growth, value)

0% international, 0% employer stock

My breakdown is
Cash - 12.3%
Long equity - 78.7% (primarily SPY, some tech funds, LUV and some small stonk plays)
short equity - 4.2% (SPY puts with expiry 9/20 - 3/21 that have quickly diminished in value, and a DIS put that is virtually worthless)
Int bearing - 4.8% (a tribute investment to my Dad who loves dividends & interest)

I'd have to look back about 8 weeks and I was 25% cash, 49% long, 27% short - the market has done most of the rebalancing

Edited by Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Min breakdown is
Cash - 12.3%
Long equity - 78.7% (primarily SPY, some tech funds, LUV and some small stonk plays)
short equity - 4.2% (SPY puts with expiry 9/20 - 3/21 that have quickly diminished in value, and a DIS put that is virtually worthless)
Int bearing - 4.8% (a tribute investment to my Dad who loves dividends & interest)

I'd have to look back about 8 weeks and I was 25% cash, 49% long, 27% short - the market has done most of the rebalancing

This is your retirement account, or your trading account?  Or no distinction...

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, you'd think that puts would be paying off in the midst of historic levels of unemployment, a pandemic, and broad social unrest, but here we are...

c'mon you know the answer .... right

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

all that shit is priced in

Really........reallly.....REALLY?????

Do you really need to look?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I am heavy on large caps and thinking that I need to rebalance, but I ended up with this balance thinking that large caps were a better place to capture the spring back and minimize the risks to the downside. Anyways, curious what your balance looks like and where to be moving forward.

55% cash

50% in fixed income bonds, half short-term half intermediate

40% in PSLDX mutual fund - exposed to S&P for growth  but with bonds for some resilience and stability

10% in long-date target fund ... its whatever.

Retirement account has been 50% cash / 50% S&P 500 index fund since mid May.  It is currently <1% from its high-water mark at the beginning of Feb.  Current contribution layout is also 50% cash / 50% S&P 500 index fund.

#stonk account is 100% grade-F toxic waste bullshit stonks.

• Like 2

Retirement account is all Vanguard funds and 65/35 stocks to bonds. Primarily U.S. but a small balance of international on both stocks and bonds. Was surpirsed tro see how well international has actually done.

401K is my "play account" It was built by AAPL as I bought in 1999 and never sold a share until earlier this year. It had blown up to become 90% of my porfolio and I wanted to diversify. 

Now 25% cash

30% AAPL

25% AMZN

The rest in NVDA, GOOG and TSLA. 

I did do my corona plays in this account...and just looked at my 12-month return to date. (up 68%). 

This market is crazy which is why I don't "time it." And with my returns I am ready for another blow...because history shows if you zoom out on the all time market chart...the damn thing just goes up. And I like to think macro not micro.

Some poeple argue markets are always showing 6 months out or more. Once again, I have no dam idea...but as an old...Ive seen the bounce backs too fast and too often to leave the market.

I’ve never in my life been a market timer, other than buying a little more when stocks are historically cheap, and less when they are historically expensive. I’m currently sitting extremely heavy cash because what’s happening with the financial market manipulation by the Fed is just plain bizarre. I don’t know how this is going to go for the next five years.

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

55% cash

401K only

I'm 30% cash.  went to that at 24.5K Dow

70% - Large Cap/2025/2030 retirement fund split 30/25/15(because they are close in they are generally conservative)

I will ride it this way until the election

my other accounts are 20% cash and 80% split evenly large/medium/small

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I bought and sold Work earlier this year and lost my ass

I bought $WORK and $ZM right at IPO last year. Zoom has obviously done well but I'm so overjoyed Slack is finally back to that price. Loss aversion bias I guess

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Welp, I'm + YTD in my 401k now. This is all totally normal. 

I haven't had access to my 401K recently so I'm not sure where it sits (but I never touched it so I'm hoping close). But thanks to a few nice moves my IRAs are well ahead of where they went Jan 1.

I was that damn idiot who stayed out of the market the last several years but pounced in March, definitely had a few beginner f ups* and keeping everything basic (no margin trading). Currently up 37% from March 6 to now.

*and continue to

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

My company uses Fidelity for our 401K I am limited on the funds I can invest in.   I am currently up over 32% for the year and up over 51% for the last 12 months.   In 2019 I was up over 35%.  

My current breakdowns below.

Technology and Telecommunications fund--35%

Large Cap--I invest in all 3 options, but half in Growth large caps--30%

Mid-Cap--3 options and I invest in each of them---20%

Small Cap-2 options and I invest in both--15%

I have stayed out of international and targets funds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bborange said:

My company uses Fidelity for our 401K I am limited on the funds I can invest in.   I am currently up over 32% for the year and up over 51% for the last 12 months.   In 2019 I was up over 35%.  

My current breakdowns below.

Technology and Telecommunications fund--35%

Large Cap--I invest in all 3 options, but half in Growth large caps--30%

Mid-Cap--3 options and I invest in each of them---20%

Small Cap-2 options and I invest in both--15%

I have stayed out of international and targets funds. 

You must be pretty active in your retirement account.  What date did you go to cash, and when did you redeploy?  I went to cash aroudn Feb 27 and got back in early April.  I wish I had re-entered a bit earlier. 

You must be pretty active in your retirement account.  What date did you go to cash, and when did you redeploy?  I went to cash aroudn Feb 27 and got back in early April.  I wish I had re-entered a bit earlier. 

I sold out on March 10th and avoided the big drops the next 2 days then bought back in to get the big gain on the 13th.   I sold out the same day to move to the money market fund and did not get back into the market until April 1st where I went back in with 100%.   Fidelity is now limiting us to 1 move a quarter so that was made April 1st for me.  The only thing I can change now is where my new money is invested.    

• Like 1

Also, I check and move money when I can so I am active in my account. 

56 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That some communist shit. 

We get three in a month.  Go over and you are put in 90 day timeout.  I used up my full allotment from mid March to mid April then got a nasty warning letter from the Fidelity dickheads

Our plan has very limited equity choices, something like seven in total?  Three are basically an overall market index, there’s a couple of international funds, a small cap fund and some other bullshit.

Fuck them and the assholes in our company that moved our plans over there.   I liked Vanguard way better.  

dumbshit payroll/benefits team fucked up my enrollment for extra retirement contribution since late last year, and then when they started deducting it properly this year, they actually never put it in the investing account, so they dumped it all back to me this month. 

so they fucked me up on increased tax exposure, missed months of contributions, and missed on the big market recovery since march. 

the joys of being a corporate stooge

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bborange said:

Fidelity is now limiting us to 1 move a quarter so that was made April 1st for me.  The only thing I can change now is where my new money is invested.    

What the fuck? I'd be livid. 

If you can setup a brokerage account in your fidelity 401K you can get access to a lot more funds and you may he able to bypass their 1 trade per quarter bullsh.

The one or three trade per quarter is not a Fidelity thing, it's your employer's choice, no doubt to reduce management fees, which, knowing FMR, are ridiculously low at any level.

I have been in a couple of FMR managed 401k's, but it's been a while and at that time they were full-boat.  And the cheapest on the market.  They may have limited equity trades to some degree, but moving between funds (theirs and anyone else's) was unlimited.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

What the fuck? I'd be livid. 

If you can setup a brokerage account in your fidelity 401K you can get access to a lot more funds and you may he able to bypass their 1 trade per quarter bullsh.

I got this BS in my 401k too. I have heard of the idea to take out $100k out of 401k (allowed if your salary has been affected bc of COVID, mine has) and then deposit it back into a self control traditional IRA.  Is anybody doing this?

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Damn it.   Wish I had read this.  Where did you see this?

They filed an S-3, also experience having been in and out when it was low low low (RIP me missing on a lot of profit from $0.30 lol) GNUS has done like 4 offerings since March.

It will go back up (anyone's guess how much) 6/15 probably when they launch the channel

15 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

They filed an S-3, also experience having been in and out when it was low low low (RIP me missing on a lot of profit from $0.30 lol) GNUS has done like 4 offerings since March.

It will go back up (anyone's guess how much) 6/15 probably when they launch the channel

Already up 2.09 from my last shit heel post

20 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Congrats on VISL whoever was on that, I never could eeek more than 10% out there even during the UAVS craziness

XSPA consolidated at $1.70, I think it could go to $2.5 with news today. Crazy amounts of volume just waiting for a PR

I’m on Visl pretty big.  Forgot who recommended it but thanks.  Beers on me. Ok no buy your own beer