Markets still falling like whoa

On 11/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, 52-80 said:

i expect fake news vaccine announcement every week for a manufactured market bounce, then dip, then bounce

On 11/17/2020 at 3:48 AM, B00M said:

Aren't these preliminary phase 3 results coming out in press releases from CEOs? What's fake about them?

These pharmaphucks.  i literally cant even.

The dose of AstraZeneca Plc’s Covid vaccine that showed the highest level of effectiveness was tested in a younger population than a bigger dose that showed less efficacy, according to the head of the U.S. Operation Warp Speed program.

The vaccine being developed with Oxford University was 90% effective when a half-dose was given before a full-dose booster, the partners said on Monday. However, that regime was administered to participants in a group whose age was capped at 55, Warp Speed’s Moncef Slaoui said Tuesday in a phone call with reporters.

Researchers have been puzzling about the AstraZeneca report since it was released, wondering why a smaller dose of the vaccine might have appeared to be more effective than a larger one. Most of the people in the trial received a placebo or the regimen of two full doses, which was 62% effective. That group included people who were older than 55, Slaoui said.

“I don’t believe that the FDA will look positively at any trial where the dose, or the age cohorts, or any other variable were changed mid-trial, inadvertently or deliberately,” said Geoffrey Porges, an SVB Leerink analyst who predicted Monday that the U.S. Food and Drug administration would not clear the vaccine.

A spokesman for Astra said the trials were conducted “to the highest standards” and more analysis is being done to refine the efficacy reading.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Researchers have been puzzling about the AstraZeneca report since it was released, wondering why a smaller dose of the vaccine might have appeared to be more effective than a larger one.

Oh and I don’t think anybody is really puzzled by this observation. Shit we’ve talked about the most likely explanation in the vaccine thread. 

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Azn Is apparently a clown show, but lower initial dose may result in less immunity being developed to the chimpanzee adenovirus vector, making the vaccine ultimately more effective. 

Kinda seems like they need to redo their trial with the initial low dose? Or is it warp speed ahead? I imagine the markets will react wildly either way lulz

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Kinda seems like they need to redo their trial with the initial low dose? Or is it warp speed ahead? I imagine the markets will react wildly either way lulz

Apparently these clowns are going to run another trial. Limey fucks will start jabbing people anyway. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Azn Is apparently a clown show, but lower initial dose may result in less immunity being developed to the chimpanzee adenovirus vector, making the vaccine ultimately more effective. 

i think they said there was "manufacturing errors" that lead to the differences in control of the 2 tests (that has to do with age, not fucking potency). 

but anyways, i guess unintended consequences like this is how their industry came up with the boner pill, so maybe this is a win-win for everybody.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can someone explain to me the mechanics of how TSLA gets added to the S&P, and the impacts on the S&P in short terms with all the index fund buying and potential for volatility?  

Bottom line, is there a play here at this point or too late for all that?

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Can someone explain to me the mechanics of how TSLA gets added to the S&P, and the impacts on the S&P in short terms with all the index fund buying and potential for volatility?  

My subscription expired and too cheap to renew it right now, but maybe someone will come along and post this whole thing:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-to-enter-s-p-500-at-full-weight-in-december-11606780897

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I read S&P consulted with institutional managers to ask whether they wanted to add TSLA in separate tranches, or a single event.  They wanted to get it done all at once. 

I suppose that typically, holders would be happy to unload the shares, but we know these retail holders are particularly cultish.  That upward pressure + relatively high short interest, might cause a squeeze and spike. 

Secondary effect is I guess the bottom feeder SP500 that gets cycled out and some other constituents will drop anyway.

Anyway im just sour I sold out days before the inclusion news (~420) because I wanted to free up money to buy other dumb shit

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 52-80 said:

in 2 weeks are we going to discover something fuckity with this vacc announcement as well?

I still think that they guys are a fucking clown show, but they appear to have a decisive advantage over PFE in terms of storage requirements.  What remains to be seen imo is exactly how much production and what their distribution channels function.  We know PFE is going to execute on that shit.  Congrats to the folks who bought early in pandemic.  I got in later, and got out at 100 and was quite happy with the return.  Looks to open around 170 today, a few weeks later, so clearly ignore everything I ever say about the stock.  

15 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I’m a nope on that.  Teams is so much better I don’t see the attraction.

Doesnt Teams require o365 subscription?  Im in a lot of b2b calls and other side uses Zoom for hosting (and i can join without account).  Seems to have more penetration than just homeschooling teachers and teenagers

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Doesnt Teams require o365 subscription?  Im in a lot of b2b calls and other side uses Zoom for hosting (and i can join without account).  Seems to have more penetration than just homeschooling teachers and teenagers

Yes.  I just don’t like the idea of investing in what I consider qualitatively inferior products.  I do think there is a market for zoom, just that schools are going to get away from it as fast as possible when the rona is over.

• Fuck You 1

The host for Teams has to have Office365 license. Guests can be invited and can join the Teams meeting/session. No license required.

Our Board of Directors meetings went virtual this year. The last 2 have been hosted in day long Teams calls. 2 members do not have an O365 license.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:08 AM, 52-80 said:

You can get non Teams users on calls,  but it wasn't intuitive to get the invite out when I had to do it the other day. But I'm basically just learning the ins/outs of Teams because my company is ditching Zoom and mandating the use of Teams which they are already paying for because of Office 365. I work for a software company of ~4500 people so these are the types of accounts that Zoom cherishes. Large enterprise subscription deals.

The way I look at it (and apparently our CIO as well based on the directive) Teams can do most of what you can do in Zoom while Zoom can  only do a fraction of what your Office 365 subscription gets you. If IT departments are looking to trim spend, Zoom will be the loser as too many large corporations are dependent on the traditional Office 365 products (Word, Excel, PPT) which they aren't ditching any time soon.

As far as interfaces go, Zoom kicks Teams ass. Obviously, Teams is the more powerful and useful tool, but I don’t like the meetings I join on Teams. I host 6 or 7 meetings daily and I’ve yet to schedule one using teams. It also helps that our Outlook has the Zoom plugin which makes scheduling meetings very easy.

37 minutes ago, Hate said:

As far as interfaces go, Zoom kicks Teams ass. Obviously, Teams is the more powerful and useful tool, but I don’t like the meetings I join on Teams. I host 6 or 7 meetings daily and I’ve yet to schedule one using teams. It also helps that our Outlook has the Zoom plugin which makes scheduling meetings very easy.

Different strokes obviously, but besides security issues in my work I much prefer Teams.  The options for just chatting and sharing screens working within your group allow for a lot more flexibility.  I only use zoom for clients that set it up and for cities or other political subdivisions who use it.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Different strokes obviously, but besides security issues in my work I much prefer Teams.  The options for just chatting and sharing screens working within your group allow for a lot more flexibility.  I only use zoom for clients that set it up and for cities or other political subdivisions who use it.

I'm a Teams is better than Zoom guy as well.

I don't really get the hype of Zoom. It is the same thing as a GoToMeeting or Ring Central or BlueJeans or any other number of these things to me. Webex clearly is the worst, but the others are just like Zoom to me.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

15 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Why is Splunk getting crushed?

Q3 results based and lower guidance for Q4. Bellow 200 and 50day average which might not be a good sign. I'd also say tech is lagging and DataDog is beating them up so I don't love them long term. But could get a little bounce.

So is TSLA going to be the pin that pops the bubble?

Proposition - on Dec 21 all the S&P 500 mutual funds and ETF's will have to rebalance to add TSLA to their portfolio, this will create (or better put - continue) the push up in TSLA stock price and in the valuation to be added to those funds. The S&P 500 has a market cap of about $27 trillion, TSLA is about $570 billion, so the fund managers will have to sell over 2% of the shares of all their other holding to buy TSLA. (IMO TSLA could run up for the next couple of weeks and get to where it would be >2.5%  of the S&P, for comparison AAPL is about 6.5%, MSFT 5.7% and AMZN 4.8%, TSLA will be at the #4 slot on 12/22.

In the week, and maybe a couple of days leading up to 12/21 it will look like the market is in turmoil (just like every other year end), and will that create panic or opportunity (why not both)?

4 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Q3 results based and lower guidance for Q4. Bellow 200 and 50day average which might not be a good sign. I'd also say tech is lagging and DataDog is beating them up so I don't love them long term. But could get a little bounce.

I did a little digging and take this with a grain of salt, but what I heard about is that they had $X0mm in deals slip out of the quarter with X0% of the top 10 deals moved. They are confident in making it up in Q4 and 2 of the X have already come in. The feeling is the CEO could have done a better job communicating these things.

Seems to think growth will remain intact and now is a good time to buy, but it won't shoot up again until after Q4.

(redacted some of the specific numbers in case I'm toeing the line of insider trading)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So is TSLA going to be the pin that pops the bubble?

Proposition - on Dec 21 all the S&P 500 mutual funds and ETF's will have to rebalance to add TSLA to their portfolio, this will create (or better put - continue) the push up in TSLA stock price and in the valuation to be added to those funds. The S&P 500 has a market cap of about $27 trillion, TSLA is about $570 billion, so the fund managers will have to sell over 2% of the shares of all their other holding to buy TSLA. (IMO TSLA could run up for the next couple of weeks and get to where it would be >2.5%  of the S&P, for comparison AAPL is about 6.5%, MSFT 5.7% and AMZN 4.8%, TSLA will be at the #4 slot on 12/22.

In the week, and maybe a couple of days leading up to 12/21 it will look like the market is in turmoil (just like every other year end), and will that create panic or opportunity (why not both)?

All I can do is laugh. This article was written two weeks ago and since then TSLA has appreciated another 15%+. 

https://www.benzinga.com/news/20/11/18433902/teslas-valuation-is-greater-than-nearly-the-entire-established-auto-industry

• Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, Blotto said:

All I can do is laugh. This article was written two weeks ago and since then TSLA has appreciated another 15%+. 

https://www.benzinga.com/news/20/11/18433902/teslas-valuation-is-greater-than-nearly-the-entire-established-auto-industry

Oh no doubt that adding TSLA to the S&P 500 is going to force some of the largest funds/ETF's to buy the stock, so it gave everyone a months notice to front run the buying spree; and just another dagger into the wallet of anyone who has been a TSLA short or call seller/put buyer. Hell there is no reason it doesn't go up another 15% before the 21st - hell Elon should have used this as another chance to have the company sell more shares and stockpile cash at peak prices

Although if you want to swing for the fences, there can be an argument made that after the run up there will have to be some air let out of the TSLA stock price balloon ..... many have played that game, and most have lost.