Markets still falling like whoa

4 hours ago, Hmmm said:

This guy speaks my languages. Thanks

oh and my friend wants to know, VXX thrives on volatility, yes? If markets going to and fro then that’s where you go. 

Precisely.

Some people buy SPY (S&P) or QQQ (nasdaq) put options as a hedge, but it’s quite expensive, and only pay out if the market actually tanks.  Not if they kangaroo.

VXX is also not that capital efficient if you buy it directly, or hold longer term. I like to buy the call options expiring in a few months out, slightly out the money, e.g. current March or April $25 strike options cost ~$350 per contract. If things start going haywire, those contracts will pay back in multiples. If everything simmers back down and you’re confident again, sell them for slight loss. 

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Matt Taibbi, everyone’s favorite long-form financial journalist, on this ordeal:

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/suck-it-wall-street

The only thing “dangerous” about a gang of Reddit investors blowing up hedge funds is that some of us reading about it might die of laughter. That bit about investigating this as a “pump and dump scheme” to push prices away from their “fundamental value” is particularly hilarious. What does the Washington Post think the entire stock market is, in the bailout age?

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 3:55 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I put about 25% of my existing cash stockpile into $SPY, $AAPL, $MSFT and $CRM.  I have no visions of getting rich quick with these purchases but I believe a year from now I'll be better off than just letting the cash sit idle.

Not that those are not good choices, just realize that AAPL and MSFT are the 2 largest holdings in SPY and account for about 12.5% of that index.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Happy I bought my SPCE lotto ticket around $18.  Potential to be the next TSLA w fan boys.  Also gave in and bought TSLA at the split.  Makes zero fucking sense but what does these days?  Anyways, you should all sell these names because me posting is the kiss of death.  

God damnit. I do not have diamond hands. Took my money down and cash out, SPCE going nuts right now. 

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

God damnit. I do not have diamond hands. Took my money down and cash out, SPCE going nuts right now. 

Don't worry - diamond hands mean I ride this shit all the way down also.  I also have the mentality of getting insanely pissed off on any loss and treating wins like 'meh'...a fucking curse.  

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Got in on Spce at 21, wanted to ditch it many times as it had sucked.

SPCE is not an operational business.  It's an idea, that loses money, but buoyed by very strong retail speculation enthusiasm.  It's very nice to swing trade or sell options (exploit volatility) against.

• Hook 'Em 1

The highly anticipated Rivian IPO could happen as soon as September with the electric truck startup seeking a valuation of at least $50 billion, Bloomberg reported.

The timeline of the Rivian IPO could change and may even slip to next year, but the company has been discussing its plans with bankers, sources told Bloomberg.

Rivian, which has backing from Amazon (AMZN) and Ford (F), has raised $8 billion over the past couple years and is seen as a credible challenger to Tesla (TSLA).

that would give Rivian a market cap roughly equal to Ford, who reported $127B in sales last year. But we all know how this works, if they are seeking a valuation of $50B it will probably be at $100B by the end of the first day. 

Stop.The.Madness.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Blotto said:

that would give Rivian a market cap roughly equal to Ford, who reported $127B in sales last year. But we all know how this works, if they are seeking a valuation of $50B it will probably be at $100B by the end of the first day. 

Stop.The.Madness.

but have you modeled the discounted future tendie flow?

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

bumble hitting the markets tomorrow

Thoughts on them? Not shooting up out of the gates but over day is not great.

Any other good buys people are seeing out there? Everything I have has done really well recently I'm just not sure what to keep buying right now.

Any other good buys people are seeing out there? Everything I have has done really well recently I'm just not sure what to keep buying right now.

Bought a shit load of xom calls on the dip today.

And on the bumble front, no damn idea what to expect. I know at least in DFW bumble was going the route of tinder in terms of user quality and general usage compared to other apps

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

aapl, amd, crm, tsm, and my new add to this list is adbe. 

tsm kicked ass today. 

i also have some metals and tlt as a bit of a non-correlated holding

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Elon needs to keep his fucking mouth shut for a bit.  Gotta love TSLA being down to 675 in the pre-market.  Thanks a lot, asshole.  I mean, I got in at about 400 a share, but seriously, fuck off and shut up for a bit.  

It’s tied to Bitcoin now. 

• Rage+1 1