Markets still falling like whoa

Calling my shot now. 

Put your life savings into ROBLOX tomorrow when markets open. Double your money and get out. Or 10x your money over the years as the ROBLOX virus eats the brains from the outside-in, of all children ages 2-12 years old. YEET! REEEEBLOX!!! OOOOof

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/roblox-rblx-initial-public-offering-ipo-wednesday

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea I mean most IPOs for me are buy at open and sell within 15 minutes and then buy again a few days later if I actually like the stock

Everyone is on this play and wants to scalp the stock, hence the hype and run-up to opening.

Just put an order in and set a max price and see if I get it or not is my strategy. It's so goofy.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I have my price in.  I adjusted up.  If it goes up further, do not care.  I got shafted on AirBnB (I really wanted in on that too), so we shall see.

It's still a long term buy at this price. Just added some in the ROTH.

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

so $50 billion valuation on a company that loses money?

tenor.gif.30574654d9a0ea95d29e874d4d49a075.gif

why are people obsessed with profit as a measure of valuation for start-ups, pre-public or newly public organizations? Is it a lack of understanding the broader business case and ecosystem and applications? Or is it an old modality; an older way of thinking of how things ought to or should work?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

Also, for people like Brad who can’t be bothered to dig into a business model and can only reflectively knee jerk with middle school level knowledge of business:

• The company monetizes by selling Robux to players for an average price of $0.01 (prices paid by users vary based on how many they buy at a time; the lowest prices are only obtainable with a subscription). All Robux sold on iOS or Android have to give 30% of revenue to Apple and Google, respectively. 
  • Players use Robux to pay developers for games or in-app experiences, of which developers keep 70%, and creators for avatar accessories, of which creators keep 30%. However, given that Roblox is the market maker for Robux, the only way for developers and creators to cash out is to sell their Robux to Roblox for $0.0035; in other words, Robux also makes money with a pretty large bid/ask spread.
  • Those developer exchange fees are realized immediately, but revenue is only recognized over 23 months; that means that that 36% number overstates Roblox’s payouts by a lot. This also helps explain why Roblox’s cash flow is positive even as it is reporting big losses (the fact it gets paid for Robux’s immediately, and only pays out to developers later, is an important factor as well).
Edited by DonkeyCigars

52 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

why are people obsessed with profit as a measure of valuation for start-ups, pre-public or newly public organizations? Is it a lack of understanding the broader business case and ecosystem and applications? Or is it an old modality; an older way of thinking of how things ought to or should work?

Settle down there Roblox CEO guy, it was a passing joke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

im taking gains at 75, 80, and ride the remainder

Out at $70 or $75, whichever comes first. $75 will cover all my penny stock money I gave up by not selling some things a few weeks ago, so pulling for it.

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea pretty uneventful IPO compared to some others

I felt that was the risk, when they tabled the traditional underwritten IPO last year for a direct listing with a better baked in value to price ratio. They didn't want to leave any money on the table and it's smart, but a bummer. 

25 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

lots of people taking profits at 74, and then 72.  chart flattens like a pancake when it hits precisely those values.  thats fine i can diamond hand for a while longer

15% or so return in an hour or less, me and my paper hands bailed when it started bouncing around.

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

ran up to almost 90 in early premarket.  broker where i hold rblx only gives me access to 1 hour before open though :(

Dang I didn’t see that. Saw it touch $78 and rubbed my sons face in the fact I’ve profited $2k in one day and he and his dumb friends haven’t made hardly any money on their “studio” and “games” they created and their YouTube channel promoting it, in months.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Like 1