Markets still falling like whoa

More deflationary pressure pumping in. 

Jay Powell (Federal Reserve) admits Chinese supply chain interruption with the virus is difficult to fathom.

Even if China goes back to work soon - will the shippers be eager to take on the risk? 

Telegraph's AEP attempt to frame some of the issues. Too much? Perhaps, but identifying the issues is important.

Where do we now stand? Regions making up two-thirds of Chinese GDP have been closed since late January. It appears that few people have actually returned to work this week…

Another is property sales in 30 big cities released every day (amazingly). Sales have collapsed to zero and have yet to show a flicker of life…..

Property is a slow-burn issue compared to ruptured manufacturing supply chains, but by March it will start to bite for developers with dollar debts on Hong Kong’s funding market…

Some 25 provinces and municipalities were supposed to go back to work this week but this clashed head on with virus control measures. Companies may not reopen plants unless they can track the exact movements and medical data of each worker, and comply with a 14-day quarantine period where necessary…

The Guangzhou authorities have ordered plants to remain closed until early March in large parts of the city with warnings of ferocious penalties. Apple supplier Foxconn has yet to restart its core iPhone plants in Zhengzhou and Shenzhen. Just 10pc of its workers have turned up. Caixin reports that Foxconn may wait until March before restarting.

Meanwhile the near complete shutdown of Shanghai’s manufacturing hub in Songjiang belied early claims that 70pc of plants were going back to work…

Global angst is for now largely focussed on the car industry, commodities, and shipping. Hyundai, Kia, and Ssangyong have had to shut their car plants in Korea for lack of components. Nissan has closed two assembly lines in Japan. This will spread to Europe within a couple of weeks if the crisis drags on….

This from Richard Meade at Lloyd’s List: “This health emergency has paralysed ports, it has disrupted schedules across all sectors, led to serious challenges for crew management, and prompted a round of container services to be withdrawn, with lines now forecasting issues well into the second quarter of the year. It has thrown the global gas market into turmoil,” he said.

https://outline.com/RrCAMA

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/17/apple-warns-on-coronavirus-it-wont-meet-revenue-guidance-because-of-constrained-iphone-supply-and-suppressed-demand-in-china.html

Apple warns on coronavirus — it won’t meet revenue guidance because of constrained iPhone supply and suppressed demand in China.  (Story developing)  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/17/apple-warns-on-coronavirus-it-wont-meet-revenue-guidance-because-of-constrained-iphone-supply-and-suppressed-demand-in-china.html

Apple warns on coronavirus — it won’t meet revenue guidance because of constrained iPhone supply and suppressed demand in China.  (Story developing)  

This result was one of the biggest no brainers in recent memory. What remains to be seen is how this will affect the stock price, and more importantly (for me anyway) the price on April puts with a 300 strike. I'm down about 25% since I purchased them, so if this news doesnt turn that trade around, I f'n give up.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

This result was one of the biggest no brainers in recent memory. What remains to be seen is how this will affect the stock price, and more importantly (for me anyway) the price on April puts with a 300 strike. I'm down about 25% since I purchased them, so if this news doesnt turn that trade around, I f'n give up.

No doubt.  The market hasn’t really reacted to it much in weeks.   I don’t think we’ll see much action tomorrow, but by mid/late March we’ll know the fate of the market.  

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

The futures market is not indicating a big swing on this news. 

I suppose we will know in the morning. 

9 minutes ago, hornbri said:

The futures market is not indicating a big swing on this news. 

I suppose we will know in the morning. 

I'm gotta believe more and more companies will start releasing similar updates over the next few weeks now that Apple greased the skids a bit. . But with the Fed and China ready to throw god knows how much money at the markets, who knows how it will all play out. Buying puts out to April gives me some time for Apple to come off of its all-time high, which it should based on how much exposure they have to China. 

Counterpoint: Stonks only go up these days...I'm probably fucked.

• Like 1

Pretty large position in AAPL. Been through this before....just have the time to watch the market more than I did when I was in the rat race in my 20s and 30s. These are the times you turn the computer and CNBC off and catch up on other things. 

“Apple is fundamentally strong, and this disruption to our business is only temporary,” the company said.

• Like 1

The counter argument is that while this virus should only cause a temporary issue, because the fed is already at the lowest interest rates and pumping money into the economy, it could spiral into something deep and bad from which we can’t easily recover. That’s the systematic risk we have right now.

• Like 1

The counter argument is that while this virus should only cause a temporary issue, because the fed is already at the lowest interest rates and pumping money into the economy, it could spiral into something deep and bad from which we can’t easily recover. That’s the systematic risk we have right now.

The US has some of the highest interest rates of all developed countries, and will cut more and expand the balanced sheet more before this goes in the shitter

4 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

The US has some of the highest interest rates of all developed countries, and will cut more and expand the balanced sheet more before this goes in the shitter

We have the highest growth rates and highest employment levels as well. Europe's economy is shrinking, their low rates are a symptom of their decline.

• Like 1

With all that said, I’m aware that the stock market has detached from the real economy. I’m just saying that I don’t believe the party is close to ending. Bad news will just give the Fed more reason to pump liquidity, hell they already announced that they will begin buying longer duration bonds before this crisis.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I'm gotta believe more and more companies will start releasing similar updates over the next few weeks now that Apple greased the skids a bit. . But with the Fed and China ready to throw god knows how much money at the markets, who knows how it will all play out. Buying puts out to April gives me some time for Apple to come off of its all-time high, which it should based on how much exposure they have to China. 

Counterpoint: Stonks only go up these days...I'm probably fucked.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-shipping-nears-a-standstill-amid-coronavirus-disruption-11581699854

China’s Shipping Nears a Standstill Amid Coronavirus Disruption

Executives say large container ships are leaving Chinese ports as little as 10% full, and sailings are being canceled as carriers brace for a financial retreat

Shipping volumes out of China are plummeting as the impact of the coronavirus outbreak takes a deeper toll on industrial production, and ocean carriers are bracing for financial blows from the diminished output.

“Substantially less cargo is being moved between China and the rest of the world” said Lars Jensen, head of Denmark-based maritime research group Sea-Intelligence. “Last week we had an additional 30 sailings canceled, with 23 across the Pacific and the rest to Europe.”

Sea-Intelligence said in a report this week that more than 350,000 containers have been removed from global trade since the outbreak of the virus led China to impose large travel restrictions at the end of the country’s Lunar New Year holiday break.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Western consumers still have money in their pockets to spend even if Apple has zero iPhones. What consumer products or companies can benefit from a potential shut/slow down of China/Asian manufacturing.

Maybe the RV/camper market?  Most all of them built here, lots of people will restrict vacations to continental.  

It occurred to me that we are witnessing a real life example of the effects of a nation "going Galt".  Pretty much all economic activity in China has ground to a halt.

~~~

Their banking system is stressed now as companies are missing loan payments and small banks are/should be failing.  Their central bank is relaxing/suspending rules on debts to try and salve the situation, but how long can it sustain that before they have a real crisis?

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-jobs/china-races-to-contain-job-losses-as-coronavirus-batters-economy-idUSKBN20C18F

Long article.  Things going to get interesting.  Lot of American consumers will soon discover just how much of their stuff is made in China.  

In categories like toys and electronics, it’s essentially 100%.  Christmas season gonna be tough this year.

At some point, you have to figure that China will have to loosen the quarantines even if that potentially gets more people sick and ultimately die. I know that's harsh but the entire world can't stay home indefinitely.

But perhaps they're trying to gather more info on understanding on how it's passed on, how best for people to protect themselves and if any medicine/vaccines are effective.

It occurred to me that we are witnessing a real life example of the effects of a nation "going Galt".  Pretty much all economic activity in China has ground to a halt.
~~~
Their banking system is stressed now as companies are missing loan payments and small banks are/should be failing.  Their central bank is relaxing/suspending rules on debts to try and salve the situation, but how long can it sustain that before they have a real crisis?
Maybe China has their own Jimmy Stewart and George Bairey will be cool and let everyone slide a little bit.

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

I guess the trade got a little bit better for you? 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Meh....basically back to my average cost. Either this market is extremely retarded or I am, and I'm beginning to suspect it's the latter. 

Yeah, I don't get what is going on.  How is fucking Carnival Cruise Lines up 3/4 of a percent today?  It's up in premarket too.  Apple barely lost anything which seems about right.  iPhones aren't a big part of their business model.  

Edited by Colonel Sanders

11 hours ago, Colonel Sanders said:

Yeah, I don't get what is going on.  How is fucking Carnival Cruise Lines up 3/4 of a percent today?  It's up in premarket too.  Apple barely lost anything which seems about right.  iPhones aren't a big part of their business model.  

WMT also had a lackluster Q4 and they were up and they might have as big of an exposure to anyone in regards to China for the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

WMT also had a lackluster Q4 and they were up and they might have as big of an exposure to anyone in regards to China for the rest of the year.

Longer term investors might look at China as eventually coming out of the Coronavirus epidemic while the rest of the world gets hit. 

5 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Yellen did suggest years ago there will never be another financial crisis in our lifetimes. And the Fed's tool box has expanded. I just don't know how the political fight over the Fed right now affects that equation. The Fed appears to be content with the status quo.

She also suggested that the Fed could buy stocks and corporate debt if things start to turn.  Obviously they don't have the power to today, but laws change in a crisis.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-yellen-purchases-idUSKCN11Z2WI